Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
Anders

Default Has anyone tried Spirit Magic from Thaumatology?

Thaumatology gives an option in which you strike a deal with a spirit and the spirit casts the spell for you... even paying the energy... and all it will cost you is your soul.

Has anyone tried it out?
Old 07-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
AllenOwen

Default Re: Has anyone tried Spirit Magic from Thaumatology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Thaumatology gives an option in which you strike a deal with a spirit and the spirit casts the spell for you... even paying the energy... and all it will cost you is your soul.

Has anyone tried it out?
Do you mean Assisting Spirits on pg 90? I have not tried it, but I like the idea. I like the idea of power having a price.
AllenOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
Anders

Yep, that's the one. If I ever do a Dark Sun conversion I will probably use that mechanic to simulate Defiler corruption. (Yeah, I know there's one already, but where's the fun in using that?) :)
Old 07-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Spirit-Assisted magic can be applied to any situation where energy fuels magic (and any situation that could benefit from the Corruption rules in Horror). I generally reduce the effective energy borrowed from a spirit patron per ritual/spell for distortion purposes only by the character's alignment with their spirit patron (-1 effective energy per full -5 CP of aligned mental disadvantages). For example, a character that calls upon Aphrodite for power who possesses Lecherousness (6-) and Xenophilia (6-) would reduce the effective energy borrowed by 10 per ritual/spell for the purpose of calculating distortion only.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
AllenOwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Spirit-Assisted magic can be applied to any situation where energy fuels magic (and any situation that could benefit from the Corruption rules in Horror). I generally reduce the effective energy borrowed from a spirit patron per ritual/spell for distortion purposes only by the character's alignment with their spirit patron (-1 effective energy per full -5 CP of aligned mental disadvantages). For example, a character that calls upon Aphrodite for power who possesses Lecherousness (6-) and Xenophilia (6-) would reduce the effective energy borrowed by 10 per ritual/spell for the purpose of calculating distortion only.
Now that is a good idea.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
AllenOwen

I don't think you need to use Corruption with Assisting Spirit magic; I think the Spiritual Distortion takes care of that.

Tags
spirit magic, thaumatology