Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-23-2017, 02:04 AM   #61
Luke Bunyip

Default Re: If you ran a campaign in your vicinity, what would it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Hmm...

I would probably set my campaign during the Goldrush/Bushranger era (1850s and 60s)...
My mate Green Neck did similar, but he made it either an Undead (pre the TV series) or Cthulhuesque game. Personally, I'd go with a faux Dies The Fire post apocalypse game. Make Ballarat and Bendigo feuding city states, and Bob's your uncle ;)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #62
Dr. Beckenstein

Rather rural Westphalia... Historically, it were usually interesting times here. Start with a few lost Romans, than the dark ages, middle ages, 30 years of war, Napoleons troops marching through, a rather peaceful time during Prussian rule, bombing raids during WW II, cold war, and here we are.

Our group started with Shadowrun in this area - . After a few sessions, we looked for more interesting pastures like Berlin or the Ruhrplex.
Dr. Beckenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #63
dcarson

Might be interesting to set it during Prohibition. Did some reasearch.

Quote:
Maryland was unique in its reactions to prohibition. It was the only state to never pass a state enforcement act, proudly labeling itself as a wet state. Prohibition in Maryland was seen as an infringement on states’ rights to enforce and control liquor traffic within its borders. Therefore, national prohibition would not be supported by the infringed upon state.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #64
Boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
My mate Green Neck did similar, but he made it either an Undead (pre the TV series) or Cthulhuesque game. Personally, I'd go with a faux Dies The Fire post apocalypse game. Make Ballarat and Bendigo feuding city states, and Bob's your uncle ;)
A feud between Ballarat and Bendigo sounds awesome. Maybe the folks from Ballarat could fortify Kryal castle and turn it into a real castle.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #65
LokRobster

Over the past few years I've run an Infinite Worlds campaign set near my home in the North Texas area, Dallas/Ft Worth, and Nacogdoches, East Texas
For my campaign I set up a 'Inter-Dimensional Freeway System' (mostly abandoned, unknown and unused) that connected a few different worlds in the area, looping from southeast Dallas to Texarkana to northwest Houston and back up to Dallas again, with Nacogdoches near the center of the loop - a building near the city center square is the 'hub' of the freeway nexus. In some eras (1779-1902) it's the Old Stone Fort on the Spanish trade route through the Piney Woods. After the 1920s it becomes a Bank building.

1780 Spanish era, "Colonial Gothic" style world: Spanish missions and Native Americans (Caddo, Comanche, Karankawa) present. Werewolf helping a stranded dimension hopper.
April 1836 Historical Echo: The Alamo and Goliad just fell and Santa Ana's armies are sweeping northward as the inhabitants flee in the 'Runaway Scrape'.
1848 Escalli: The Crude Oil-powered Battlewagon Tanks of the Plains Tribes Confederation fight off the expanding Aztec Empire across the Hill Country of Central Texas.
1889 Deadlands Old West: (train/chemical spill in swamps of East Texas triggers a minor Zombie uprising...)
March 1933 Historical Echo: members of Bonnie and Clyde's Barrow Gang (Buck and Deacon) steal the PCs car and go bank robbin'
1936 Crimson Skies: (adaption of the video game background) Barnstorming the Cross Timbers, Zepplins and fast fighterplanes battle over a fragmented US. In this reality, physics are messed up - all engines have a power output 50% greater than they should.
2038 Autoduel America: I used the Free Oil States AADA Road Atlas and Survival Guide for background and some adventuring ideas here.
2055 Reign of Steel: This is an interesting area because it's on the edge of Zone Denver, very close to the border of Zone Washington: two AIs that have opposite attitudes on dealing with us. I've had some fun imagining up what sorts of border patrols these two AIs set up to keep the pesky human vermin (or valuable production assets) from crossing back and forth much. Or do the AIs even care?
1964 Gernsbach: a temporarily open dimensional gate causes Reign of Steel to directly encounter and battle the Weird Science-armed forces of the World Science Council... luckily the gate closed after a few weeks, but damage to Gernsbach was extensive. The PCs introduced the idea of 'EMP' weapons to the WSC to stop computer-driven robots.
65 million years ago Late Cretaceous The Shores of Dinosaur Land
(cool map site btw) Fun mega-crocs and other beach/swamp dwelling critters to deal with.

Funny how Texas is an Independent Republic in most alternates... it's just entertaining.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #66
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
65 million years ago Late Cretaceous The Shores of Dinosaur Land
(cool map site btw) Fun mega-crocs and other beach/swamp dwelling critters to deal with.
Nice site. Thanks for sharing.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #67
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco View Post

(SNIP)

A friend did run a GURPS campaign, might have been Mark Skarr but not sure, that took place in the area. One night the lights went out and electricity, internal combustion engines and gun powder just stopped working, magic returned to the world and many people and creatures "mutated" into fantasy races.
I ran a campaign like that, many years ago. It was loosely based on the novel, Ariel, by Steven R. Boyett, but I included a lot of American Indian creatures, rather than classic fantasy critters.

The escape from Denver was pretty fun, but then the players and I had a difference of opinion about how best to ride out the transition period as civilization collapsed. They thought, "Hide in the mountains," and I said, "Oh, you mean starve to death, slowly?"

In the winter, the Indians moved to the lowlands, even after they got rifles. They did not stay in the high country, when it snowed. If rifles don't work, then the situation turns into a TPK in the first winter.

I considered it much wiser to head to the Western Slope orchard country, with its much more sparse population. Game kinda fell apart, around that dispute.

My current campaign takes place, in part, in Denver, and the group will certainly set up a headquarters in Uptown, in the near future. Most of the action currently takes place in and around Moab, though.

As an Old West setting, Denver is tough to beat. Even the newspapers bombed each other and reporters shot at one another, in the streets. Add in the silver boom of the 1860s, wars for water ("Whiskey is for drinkin', water is for fightin' over..."), organized crime and vigilantism, Denver has just about everything for a long and successful campaign.

However, other period work reasonably well. If you wanted a noir campaign set in the 1920s and 1930s, the KKK was in control of the city government for part of the period, and corruption was rife. The Smalldones (the "Micky Mouse Gang," because it was so small and relatively pleasant, by the standards of larger cities) got their start running booze during Prohibition and reached their peak of power in the 1950s and 1960s (Gaetano's Italian Restaurant, which they built, still exists and continues to offer excellent cuisine). If you want something a little more modern, pick up some Michael Allegretto mysteries.

http://www.mysteriouspress.com/autho...to/default.asp

Horror is also really easy to justify, here. Capitol Hill has any number of haunted mansions, and angry spirits from violated ancient Indian burial grounds are everywhere. The novel, Breathless, by Dean R. Koontz, is set in Colorado, as is Dead of Winter, by Lee Collins (although, that's up in Leadville).

If you want dystopian Sci Fi, John Brunner's classic, The Sheep Look Up, is set in Denver, in part, and Paolo Bacigalupi's The Water Knife is Colorado River water law taken to an absurd (but well-written) extreme.

Of course, if you want something a little more fun, just do a Stargate campaign. SGHQ was located in Cheyenne Mountain, outside of Colorado Springs. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
Over the past few years I've run an Infinite Worlds campaign set near my home in the North Texas area, Dallas/Ft Worth, and Nacogdoches, East Texas
For my campaign I set up a 'Inter-Dimensional Freeway System' (mostly abandoned, unknown and unused) that connected a few different worlds in the area, looping from southeast Dallas to Texarkana to northwest Houston and back up to Dallas again, with Nacogdoches near the center of the loop - a building near the city center square is the 'hub' of the freeway nexus. In some eras (1779-1902) it's the Old Stone Fort on the Spanish trade route through the Piney Woods. After the 1920s it becomes a Bank building.

(SNIP)
I'm fascinated by your ideas, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

Last edited by tshiggins; 04-24-2017 at 07:33 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #68
Edges

Speaking of Denver, I've always wanted to run a campaign set at the Denver airport in which the conspiracy theories were true.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:06 AM   #69
Boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Speaking of Denver, I've always wanted to run a campaign set at the Denver airport in which the conspiracy theories were true.
What conspiracy theories are you referring to?
Old 04-25-2017, 03:19 AM   #70
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
What conspiracy theories are you referring to?
The Definitive Guide.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaigns, history