Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
Dorin Thorha

Default Re: [Alien Race] Fish Out Of Water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Native to pitch black caves, so do they have eyes?
Infravision would probably be appropriate, and Vibration Sense is practically obligatory. If possible I'd like them to be able to function at least somewhat as a PC race, so they'll have to have some way of interacting with tech made for other races, but I suppose there are ultra-tech ways to substitute (a device that converted visual input to vibration sense input would be especially valuable for creatures like this).
Old 06-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
Dorin Thorha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
so you want roughly humanoid aquatic aliens? hmm... thats a pretty kettle of fish. I suppose I have a few questions about assumptions:

how big are the caves? this will tell you if they climb, or if they swim. Is this ocean open to space, or is the top protected by rock? This will effect where they get their energy from. Depending on how you want things to work, gas bubbles trapped by rock could be extremely common.
This is an entire planet we are talking about, so the ocean is as varied as the surface is of other planets. The caves range in size from labyrinthine crevasses to so enormous that it takes days to cross from wall to wall. Most of the surface is covered by rock (with it's own air-breathing biosphere, although no intelligent life), but there are open places (which would eventually become the focus of exploration efforts). This species is the human equivalent of their world: versatile and intelligent, with an emphasis on manipulative and sensory abilities rather than direct survival abilities.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

I'm doing my own aquatic species vaguely similar to cuttlefish.
They were stuck technologically, and were helped by a space faring species. This helper species tends toward non-intervention but decided that my aquatics couldn't advance on their own.

They developed into a couple of cultural movements. The Greenies that decided to adapt to space and zero g life with photosynthetic symbiotes to decrease life support needs. The Deeps that use genetic engineering to adapt to the sea floor to maximize surface usage. The Borgs that simply went ultra tech and use cybersuits at all times like a nice version of the Daleks.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorin Thorha View Post
Infravision would probably be appropriate, and Vibration Sense is practically obligatory. If possible I'd like them to be able to function at least somewhat as a PC race, so they'll have to have some way of interacting with tech made for other races, but I suppose there are ultra-tech ways to substitute (a device that converted visual input to vibration sense input would be especially valuable for creatures like this).
To handle other races tech you have to work trough their suits.
So they need custom over sized gear, unless they happen to be smaller then human.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Dorin Thorha

As far as exactly how pressure sensitive they are, well, they live comfortably on ocean floors, and can survive just fine even in deep trenches. Venturing into the shallows is their equivalent of mountain climbing, uncomfortable and even dangerous except for their equivalent of Sherpas. Getting up into the light zones would be extremely dangerous without special gear, similar to our high-altitude aircraft. Of course, physically going there would be fairly easy, so from a very early time they will have legends and rumors of the light lands from the brave souls who venture up and then sink back down, half dead or dying.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Water is opaque to infrared.
Phosphorescence and chromatophores like cephalopods.
Colored bio-light like Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
As far as exactly how pressure sensitive they are, well, they live comfortably on ocean floors, and can survive just fine even in deep trenches. Venturing into the shallows is their equivalent of mountain climbing, uncomfortable and even dangerous except for their equivalent of Sherpas. Getting up into the light zones would be extremely dangerous without special gear, similar to our high-altitude aircraft. Of course, physically going there would be fairly easy, so from a very early time they will have legends and rumors of the light lands from the brave souls who venture up and then sink back down, half dead or dying.
The reason ocean bottom creatures can't survive up here isn't because of breathing, or gas bubbles. It's usually because proteins fold differently under that kind of pressure.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
To handle other races tech you have to work trough their suits.
So they need custom over sized gear, unless they happen to be smaller then human.
A compact pressurized pod with small wheels and rigid arm appendages wouldn't take up that much room if human sized.
Most hallways are designed to accommodate some pretty huge people.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #19
Dorin Thorha

Quote:
Water is opaque to infrared.
Good catch. That's making it seem like sound is going to be their main way of perceiving the world.

Quote:
The reason ocean bottom creatures can't survive up here isn't because of breathing, or gas bubbles. It's usually because proteins fold differently under that kind of pressure.
Interesting... So how quickly would low pressure have an effect on them? That could change the whole dynamic of how they eventually learn about and exploit the surface.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #20
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Given the lack of practical fire, the probably perfected sculpting rather than forging, and the learned to sail the currents as their first introduction of external power. Buoyancy rather than Rockets would propel their crafts to the surface.

The real hiccup is how do they develop pressure suits with out the ability to forge?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alien, aliens