Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
b-dog

Default If Nyarlathotep were a PC would he have the Sadism disadvantage?

I am curious if Nyarlathotep were a PC would he have the Sadism disadvantage? It seems he enjoys inflicting suffering and madness on humanity so this is sort of sadistic. Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: If Nyarlathotep were a PC would he have the Sadism disadvantage?

I don't see why not.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
gmillerd

Depends on what the form and his state is, I wouldn't give most of the manifestations any of the 'evil' mental disadvantages any more than I would a tornado.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerd View Post
Depends on what the form and his state is, I wouldn't give most of the manifestations any of the 'evil' mental disadvantages any more than I would a tornado.
True, but I think under most circumstances a tornado wouldn't count as a PC.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
DukeofDellot

Tornados could be used as mounts, they might be purchased as an Ally like a special mount of any other type, and I've seen rules detailing playing a horse as a PC...

Why not?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Dustin

Ah, but is he/it compelled to do so? I rather doubt it. If it were necessary for some reason, I fully expect that Nyarlathotep would be perfectly controlled, ergo, not a disadvantage.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog
I am curious if Nyarlathotep were a PC would he have the Sadism disadvantage? It seems he enjoys inflicting suffering and madness on humanity so this is sort of sadistic.
If he were a PC, then the level of the campaign is such that whatever cruelties he shows to humankind would not really rise to the level of Sadism (the GURPS trait)... maybe a lesser version, possibly just a Quirk.

"If Nyarlathotep were a PC..."
"Say, what kind of game is this?"
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
If he were a PC, then the level of the campaign is such that whatever cruelties he shows to humankind would not really rise to the level of Sadism (the GURPS trait)... maybe a lesser version, possibly just a Quirk.
What about a similarly elevated creature who allows existing suffering to continue without interference, despite having a duty to end it or prevent it, because they find that the more suffering a society undergoes the greater the art its members create?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
What about a similarly elevated creature who allows existing suffering to continue without interference, despite having a duty to end it or prevent it, because they find that the more suffering a society undergoes the greater the art its members create?
Sorry? Do you mean, is that now Sadism? Still should not be, but if they have a Duty, then it is failure to roleplay the trait properly.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
b-dog

I guess basically Nyarlathotep is like a force of nature and cares nothing for what happens to mere humanity. But on the other hand, Nyarlathotep is so intelligent that he is beyond human comprehension so he must know that the things he does cause great harm to others even if the are just lowly humanity which is like a bacteria to him. It is one thing to harm others by thoughlessness but another to deliberatly try to cause suffering. I think Nyarlathotep knows that he causes great suffering and madness to humanity when he comes into contact with them and I think he enjoys it.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote