Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-20-2021, 12:27 PM   #11
Crystalline_Entity

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Modular Abilities

I once thought of reproducing "Vancian"-style magic, where you memorise a spell and can cast it once before needing to refresh your memory the next day, using Modular Abilities and Sorcery. It was something like:

Sorcerous Empowerment 4 [50]
Modular Ability (Super-Memorisation) (2 points) (Spells Only, -20%; Limited Use (1/day), -40%) [5]

This slots a 2-point single-use alternate ability to Sorcerous Empowerment. The "alternate ability", as per standard sorcery rules gives 1/5 cost, and the single-use (I think it's from Powers?) is another 1/5 cost, for 1/25th cost; hence a 2-point ability can be a Sorcery spell up to 2x25=50 points.

The modular ability also has limited use, as it can only be changed once per day. Combined with the single-use in the slotted power, I think that works out to something vaguely like The Other Game - once per day you pick a spell, and you can cast it once.

Multiple spells, and different powers, can be gotten by modifying the modular ability, e.g. (4,2,2) for one 100-point spell and two 50-point spells (note you'd need a Sorcerous Empowerment level capable of casting 100-point spells).
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:35 PM   #12
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
…Modular Ability (Super-Memorisation) (2 points) (Spells Only, -20%; Limited Use (1/day), -40%) [5]…
I think that works pretty well, better than what I did for single-use spells. I think limiting you to "Spells with Single-Use Only" would be worth another -10% or -20% -- unless you also allow 2-point spells (Absolute Timing, Acute Senses, various perks, etc.) which aren't single-use and could thus be used all day (cantrips?).
munin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:18 AM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
Modular Abilities is a really neat power, but as far as its pricing goes it really tends to create builds which are either overpowered or incredibly point inefficient. The Gadgeteer build I had tip-toeing around overpowered while the XMen "Mimic" from Phantasm ends up paying so much he is just about doomed to a Jack-of-all-Trades situation if character points are used as the sole balancing factor.

I've found that to be an issue as well.

I have a strong dislike for physical only being +50%, and frankly I suspect that having both physical and mental for +0% would probably not be broken. I've never seen physical modular abilities be worth it, and builds that should be using it usually end up going for some version of morph.

On the other hand, stacking list and time limitations on versions other than cosmic can result in very cheap abilities for skills and languages. Its very useful for spell casters who can then access most of the spell list, but its also useful for high IQ characters who can then do a little of everything.

I've used modular abilities on extremely old characters who have cinematically "Done it all", with some tech related caveats. I've GM'd characters who can take skill programs and use them. I've done both of those multiple times, and I've seen it used for languages once or twice, but I don't think I've ever used modular abilities outside of those contexts. Those contexts are all high-IQ characters leveraging many small cheap abilities powered by IQ (language is powered by IQ-based skills).

Someone has a webpage out there with a magic system powered completely by modular abilities. Its was written before sorcery, and I think its a bit more efficient, a modular ability that costs 2.5 per slot or something like that. I don't remember who wrote it though.

I've occasionally toyed with buying alternate abilities using modular abilities: I'm not sure how legal that is. For example, you buy mind control for 50, then you spend 60 points or so to buy a 10 point modular ability that can only be used on alternate abilities for mind control, generally telepathic in nature. Then you can use any telepathic ability under 50 points and you paid about 110 for it. I've never actually played with such a build though.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #14
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I've occasionally toyed with buying alternate abilities using modular abilities: I'm not sure how legal that is. For example, you buy mind control for 50, then you spend 60 points or so to buy a 10 point modular ability that can only be used on alternate abilities for mind control, generally telepathic in nature. Then you can use any telepathic ability under 50 points and you paid about 110 for it. I've never actually played with such a build though.
I don't know how legal it is either, but it definitely seems cheap relative to Wildcard Advantages.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #15
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
I once thought of reproducing "Vancian"-style magic, where you memorise a spell and can cast it once before needing to refresh your memory the next day, using Modular Abilities and Sorcery. It was something like:

Sorcerous Empowerment 4 [50]
Modular Ability (Super-Memorisation) (2 points) (Spells Only, -20%; Limited Use (1/day), -40%) [5]

This slots a 2-point single-use alternate ability to Sorcerous Empowerment. The "alternate ability", as per standard sorcery rules gives 1/5 cost, and the single-use (I think it's from Powers?) is another 1/5 cost, for 1/25th cost; hence a 2-point ability can be a Sorcery spell up to 2x25=50 points.

The modular ability also has limited use, as it can only be changed once per day. Combined with the single-use in the slotted power, I think that works out to something vaguely like The Other Game - once per day you pick a spell, and you can cast it once.

Multiple spells, and different powers, can be gotten by modifying the modular ability, e.g. (4,2,2) for one 100-point spell and two 50-point spells (note you'd need a Sorcerous Empowerment level capable of casting 100-point spells).
I think there's a Vancian build in Fantasy called (IIRC) Ultra-divided Magery. You may want to look at that.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:35 AM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I don't know how legal it is either, but it definitely seems cheap relative to Wildcard Advantages.
Things that invoke alternate abilities usually are much cheaper, but powers systems generally need alternate abilities to remain competitive with other magic systems.

I think I stopped using the idea as much because of two factors: first, I figured out how to use stunts from the powers books. Those work differently, but they provide much of the same functionality, and they're raw and therefore lots of people understand them, have seen them before, and have access to explanations other than mine.

second, sorcery came out, and it occupies much the same space... though in a very different way. That kind of makes it hard to talk about something. I don't like the sorcery framework much, though my opinions on it have mellowed with time.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, modular abilities