Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #1
Plane

Default exemptions to darkness/blindness penalties for grappling?

I imagine darkness makes it equally harder to get a grip on someone you're not actively grappling as it does to hit them, but I'm wondering what circumstances reduce the effects of blindness/darkness after grappling has occurred.

The only example I can find today is under pg 22 of Technical Grappling under Hands-Free parries, (need to be aware of foe, but don't need to see them, 1+ CP = can defend and no -2 penalty for side/rear hexes)

This is just for defending against grapples after you've been grappled though (or if you grappled: mutuality) but doesn't seem to apply to ATTACKING with grapples, so would they still suffer full vision penalties?

TG21 mentions under the Attack maneuver that rolls to 'break free' or 'improve control' do not suffer hit location penalties since contact is already established so it makes me wonder if they should also ignore lighting penalties as well.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: exemptions to darkness/blindness penalties for grappling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I imagine darkness makes it equally harder to get a grip on someone you're not actively grappling as it does to hit them, but I'm wondering what circumstances reduce the effects of blindness/darkness after grappling has occurred.
=.
Darkness has no effect on grappling as long as you are in physical contact because touch is a targeting sense.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
Plane

Default Re: exemptions to darkness/blindness penalties for grappling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Darkness has no effect on grappling as long as you are in physical contact because touch is a targeting sense.
I did some searching and MA62's new "Sensitivity" skill seems like something worth considering here. If you an opponent in close combat with you is "visible, touching, or detected with Blind Fighting" then you can attempt as a free action a roll (getting 'sensitive touch' bonus... weird that would apply if not actually touching them at all if using vision/BF...) to get a bonus to attacks/defenses...

It doesn't signal out grappling so this could just be for strikes I guess... but I'm wondering where I could read more about 'touch as targeting' rules you refer to.

It seems like common sense ("I know exactly where your arm is because I'm already holding it") but I imagine vision is still of some benefit than relying pure on proprioception.

B146 mentions if you have Numb you can't do First Aid unless you see the injury. That'd be like some kind Vision roll i guess (liek you'd do when using First Aid on someone else) since you can't rely on pain to give you instant feedback on where to look.

Instant feedback on where to look isn't necessarily "because I know where the injury is, I function as competently as if I'm looking at it, even if I can't see it" though.

Like if my arm is grabbed, while I know "I feel a grab" I wouldn't for example know "my attacker is using an underhanded grip" or "I was grabbed from the right side" though....

TS25 does mentioned pressing your gun against someone results in "knows your gun’s location and can defend himself as if against a “runaround” attack" which is sort of similar to No-Hands Parry rules except for not ignoring the -2 (it's only net -0 because the +2 telegraphic bonus offsets the -2)

"No penalty to defend" isn't necessarily "no penalty to attack" as we well know though... there's no mention of anything like "I can grab the gun at no penalty because I know where it is" to ignore either hit locations or darkness penalties when someone puts the barrel against the skull.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blindness, break free, darkness penalties, improve control, technical grappling