Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-05-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
TerribleTony

Default How much of Legacy will be sold separately?

I'm sadly not in a position to throw $120 towards Legacy Edition all at once, and was considering grabbing Melee & Wizard, then the rest if I enjoy them.

How much of the stuff within Legacy will be available separately for purchase? The megahexes sound very nice (I bought a PDF adventure to get a preview of the system and it seems to be built with the expectation that you can quickly lay the megahexes down), a GM's screen sounds nice, I haven't seen the included adventure listed anywhere, etc.

Will the "extra" megahexes within Decks of Destiny be a way to get the megahexes that are already included within Legacy, or will they be different?
TerribleTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
JLV

Default Re: How much of Legacy will be sold separately?

Honestly, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get any of the original megahexes (the ones in Legacy) without actually buying Legacy. Most of the remarks from SJG that I've read, while not actually saying "no," at least imply that it's not too likely. The new megahex set is different (different art on the one side) from the Legacy set, but the other side (if I understood the kickstarter page for Decks) is still blank, so you would still be able to use them like the original set. They are dry-erase too, of course, so that's just like the original set.

From what I've heard, it will be almost impossible to "build" a Legacy set piece by piece because some of the components simply won't be available separately.

You CAN get the PDF of the Legacy edition for $35 (as an add-on) to any Fantasy Trip Kickstarter (at least, that's been the case so far) -- and technically you could PRINT the Megahexes from there (you'd have to take the file to a professional printer shop if you want the dry-erase version and that might be pretty costly, but even home printed paper copies would be useful, and you could always laminate them which works almost as well), and at least you'd have e-copies of Tollenkar's Lair, the maps, the GM Screen and the other extra goodies...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
TerribleTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get any of the original megahexes (the ones in Legacy) without actually buying Legacy. Most of the remarks from SJG that I've read, while not actually saying "no," at least imply that it's not too likely. The new megahex set is different (different art on the one side) from the Legacy set, but the other side (if I understood the kickstarter page for Decks) is still blank, so you would still be able to use them like the original set. They are dry-erase too, of course, so that's just like the original set.

From what I've heard, it will be almost impossible to "build" a Legacy set piece by piece because some of the components simply won't be available separately.

You CAN get the PDF of the Legacy edition for $35 (as an add-on) to any Fantasy Trip Kickstarter (at least, that's been the case so far) -- and technically you could PRINT the Megahexes from there (you'd have to take the file to a professional printer shop if you want the dry-erase version and that might be pretty costly, but even home printed paper copies would be useful, and you could always laminate them which works almost as well), and at least you'd have e-copies of Tollenkar's Lair, the maps, the GM Screen and the other extra goodies...
I'm not too interested in the artwork side, just the blank/dry-erase side, so maybe Decks of destiny will make do.

Reading through The Chaos Triads gives the impression that adventures will assume that if you have Megahexes, they'll be in given shapes/sizes, so if Decks of Destiny is a way to get those, it'll work. The dry erase is very nice, but I've glued printer paper to card stock before and can make it work.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTony View Post
I'm not too interested in the artwork side, just the blank/dry-erase side, so maybe Decks of destiny will make do.

Reading through The Chaos Triads gives the impression that adventures will assume that if you have Megahexes, they'll be in given shapes/sizes, so if Decks of Destiny is a way to get those, it'll work. The dry erase is very nice, but I've glued printer paper to card stock before and can make it work.
If you have it available, glue the printer paper to matte board! That's what I do. Best yet: prin t on card stock and glue with rubber cement or spray adhesive to matte board! That's what I actually do.

You can have the biggest Megahex collection of them all!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
TerribleTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
If you have it available, glue the printer paper to matte board! That's what I do. Best yet: prin t on card stock and glue with rubber cement or spray adhesive to matte board! That's what I actually do.

You can have the biggest Megahex collection of them all!
That's pretty well exactly what I've done in the past; print off my terrain, then spray-adhesive mount it to a big piece of posterboard.

It's cutting along the hex lines that has me scared, to be honest. That could get ugly fast.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
Shostak

The dry-erase megahexes are GREAT, but one can make do with a hex mat. Difficulty in megahex acquisition should not be an obstruction to getting into TFT.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTony View Post
That's pretty well exactly what I've done in the past; print off my terrain, then spray-adhesive mount it to a big piece of posterboard.

It's cutting along the hex lines that has me scared, to be honest. That could get ugly fast.
Straight edge and a sharp razor, scalpel, or hobby knife. You could knock out most of the cutting with a pair of scissors, but I've found that once you get some practice with a knife, it's faster than scissors.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Straight edge and a sharp razor, scalpel, or hobby knife. You could knock out most of the cutting with a pair of scissors, but I've found that once you get some practice with a knife, it's faster than scissors.
Linoleum knives and boxcutters are great as well. I use both for cutting picture matting. Just make sure there is something solid underneath what you are cutting, because these can go through cardstock like a hot knife through butter.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
Anaraxes

Razor knife like an X-acto brand. Or you can get more of a boxcutter/utility style knife with a narrower snap-off blade that's good for this sort of thing. A metal ruler (or yard/meter stick for big stuff), and to be really stylin', a vinyl self-healing cutting mat to protect your table and help line stuff up.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 06-06-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
broke, legacy edition, poor, tft