Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
Alden Loveshade

Default Very fine silver weapons prices--ouch!

I'm not sure if this is a GCA 4 problem or a GURPS Basic Set problem or both, but here it is.

B275 under Silver Weapons (TL1): "Solid silver melee weapons or arrowheads cost 20 times list price, and break as if of cheap quality. Silver-coated and -edged weapons cost only three times list price, and use the breakage properties of the underlying material." As it says later in that section, adding a silver coating or silver edge changes the effect on silver-affected creatures and also reduces the wounding modifier, but does not affect the basic quality of the weapon.

The final prices varies by TL, level of silver, and weapon. I'll use silver-coating a thrusting broadsword at TL3. This means that a silver-coated standard-quality thrusting broadsword costs $1800; the cost of the sword ($600) plus two times that for the silver coating ($1200). Taken literally, the costs of sliver-coating a very fine thrusting broadsword (20 x $600 = $12,000) is two time that ($24,000!)

GCA 4 does this literally. Silver-coating a good broadsword costs $1200, while silver-coating a very fine broadsword costs $24,000. I think the cost for coating or edging a very fine broadsword should be the same as for a good (or fine or cheap, for that matter) broadsword.

Can this be fixed? (And yes, I can manually fix it for one particular weapon, but I think the program could use a fix, and maybe GURPS Basic Set could use a clarification).
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Very fine silver weapons prices--ouch!

they multiply together as it harder to silver coat a very fine sword and have it remain very fine (Ie the coat ruining the edge and/or balance)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

The program is working correctly, and doing exactly as the Basic Set rules are supposed to do.

Fortunately, the changes you want can be done. In fact, in GURPS Low-Tech they changed the multiplicative modifiers for equipment to use Cost Factor (CF) instead - these are essentially percentage modifiers, and adjust cost as you desire.

If you load the Low-Tech data file and then look for the "Low-Tech Composition" and "Low-Tech Weapon Quality" modifiers instead of the default ones from the Basic Set you'll get exactly what you want.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
they multiply together as it harder to silver coat a very fine sword and have it remain very fine (Ie the coat ruining the edge and/or balance)
I disagree, but must admit I honestly don't know for certain. I do not claim to be an expert on swords, but I have sold them for some sword makers at historical recreationist events. These were both fantasy blades and real swords that could be used in battle; they were made of carbon steel, had a lifetime guarantee even if used in battle, and could and did break cheaper swords in combat (you don't want this to happen; it's costly and dangerous). One of our customers used one to cut down a tree (an axe works much better; it was just an experiment to see if the sword could do it). In GURPS, the reduction in the wounding modifier is probably accurate, but I don't know of such a test being done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
The program is working correctly, and doing exactly as the Basic Set rules are supposed to do.

Fortunately, the changes you want can be done. In fact, in GURPS Low-Tech they changed the multiplicative modifiers for equipment to use Cost Factor (CF) instead - these are essentially percentage modifiers, and adjust cost as you desire.

If you load the Low-Tech data file and then look for the "Low-Tech Composition" and "Low-Tech Weapon Quality" modifiers instead of the default ones from the Basic Set you'll get exactly what you want.
Thanks for the suggestions on changes; that may well take care of it. Again, I don't know of anyone actually coating a sword intended for battle with silver, so I think any price or damage adjustment is largely a guess. From a practical point of view, you can't make a very fine or even a good weapon out of silver--I do believe they would break as if cheap quality in real combat which is how GURPS describes them. I do think the cost modifier as listed would be unrealistic; I believe coating steel with silver is going to be largely the same regardless of the quality of the steel, not cost 20 times more. But again I don't know of anyone trying this with a sword intended for real use.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:10 AM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Some price adjustments should be multiplicative and some should be additive. It would take enormous charts to predict everything.
Solid silver weapons can't be better than cheap without supernatural effects, so prices for those should be purely setting dependent.

But silver coatings should cost what they cost unrelated to the awesomeness of what's being coated.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Some price adjustments should be multiplicative and some should be additive. It would take enormous charts to predict everything.
Solid silver weapons can't be better than cheap without supernatural effects, so prices for those should be purely setting dependent.

But silver coatings should cost what they cost unrelated to the awesomeness of what's being coated.
I can't see why anyone would put silver on the blade either. Inlaid might look well on the hilt though.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
Anthony

Realistically, 'very fine' and 'silver' are incompatible. The cost for plating the sides (but not the edge; silver won't hold an edge) of a blade with silver is likely only a function of the size of the blade, but is also TL 5; at lower TL all you can really manage is silver inlay.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I can't see why anyone would put silver on the blade either. Inlaid might look well on the hilt though.
Silver blades are really only useful for decoration or Werewolves.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Silver blades are really only useful for decoration or Werewolves.
Yeah, even in a set of silverware the knives are generally steel with a silver handle, other than possibly butter knives.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yeah, even in a set of silverware the knives are generally steel with a silver handle, other than possibly butter knives.
I did not know that. I don't see why though, because it's not like silver is as soft as lead. It should function for basic fork/spoon use. Shouldn't it?

Tags
prices, silver, silver-coated, silver-edged, weapon