Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-12-2006, 07:54 AM   #11
Nick_Greyden

Default Re: Birthright to Gurps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus Wagner
Tossing out thoughts here:

Domain action resolution: Heavily modified administration/leadership/strategy/public speaking/propaganda/diplomacy skills checks.
That's what I'm looking at
Nick_Greyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #12
thona
Banned

You guys know, I find the idea of a Birthright for Guprs intriguing.

Birthright is a very special setting, putting the PC's into serious power positions and mixing strategic skill with role playing. I always wondered why it was not a bigger success/got axed and why noone else implemented a similar game.
thona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
The Law

I just want to toss in my support for this idea. As far as modeling the process of running a domain, are there any 3e books out there with info that could help? I know there's a lot of small scale economics stuff scattered through various books, but I haven't come across anything designed for the people who are running the economy yet.
The Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #14
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by thona
You guys know, I find the idea of a Birthright for Guprs intriguing.

Birthright is a very special setting, putting the PC's into serious power positions and mixing strategic skill with role playing. I always wondered why it was not a bigger success/got axed and why noone else implemented a similar game.
That's not quite true - a number of d20 products deal with the same thing (see this thread for details), and there are also some similar systems for other games (such as Aria or the "Lords & Domains" supplement for Pendragon).

But something like this with the typical attention to detail of GURPS products would rock.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #15
thona
Banned

I have to disagree at least on the link. I have both referenced D20 books, and while they do contain systems, they do not mix them with background. Heck, there were even published scenarios for birthright.

Both, Empire and Strongholds and Dynasties, are merely tools, without background. They do not even come close to what Birthright was.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #16
Nick_Greyden

So what about what has been gotten so far. Rasmus or my own. This is my first major dealing so what do you guys think.

I'd also like to get with you Ras on a write up for domain rules. Like to pick your brain and go over things. It looks like we are using the same sources to dictate our rules so just a quick over view of heads being put together would be nice. PM me some info on how to get in touch with me if interested.

Other than that... what you guys think. Ramus or mine. Also why you would choose one over the other.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:16 AM   #17
thona
Banned

You know, I wen thrpough the link again, reading all the reviews. Looks like I have to get another two set of domain management rúles. FIelds of Blood looks like it made some things proper. I have Empire and S&D here, and I was disappointed by both. S&D is a mess, rule wise (As said), and Empire sort of left me with too many details open. None contain a campaign background that show how to best utilize the rules. Plus, all are D20 - a Gurps based rule set would rock. After all, we know that THE GODS once declared that 3W6 are WAY more appropriate than a D20 for ANYTHING besides killing goblins :-)

That could be a very nice addition to the GURPS line in general :-)
Old 03-16-2006, 07:22 AM   #18
Nick_Greyden

Anyone know anything about the world can give me some insight? Still looking for a response.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:24 AM   #19
thona
Banned

Just to go on a rules discussion :-) You guys realize how clumsy the Birthright rules are, compared to what you CAN do with standard gurls rules?

Example :-) Domain actions. It was said to make these based on existing skills. Right. Now - make them techniques, and you can have rulers raise individual techniques for certain things. Get beter at specific domain actions only.

I would love to see some people working on a real management system (loosely based on birthright, which has some seriously nice ideas) based on the underlying principles of the GURPS system.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #20
Nick_Greyden

Nice idea about the techniques. I'll get to work and see what I can come up with. Still want to see about blood powers. anyone have any advice on which one is less clusmy or have another idea on how to convert the blood powers and blood points?

Tags
kingdoms, mass combat