Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
PenitentDemon

Default Re: Lilim of Furfur

Curious, Is attacking a BORED Malakite or Cherub on Guard Duty, fufilling a need, or is that just stupid?
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #12
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
Curious, Is attacking a BORED Malakite or Cherub on Guard Duty, fufilling a need, or is that just stupid?
What do you mean, "or?" :P

EDIT: More seriously, yes, if the Cherub or Malakite is yearning for a chance to beat up a demon and a Lillim can see it, she can make herself bait, fulfill the Need and gain the Geas-hook. There's a canonical example of a Tempter submitting to a rapist, knowing that once he's satisfied his Need for violent sexual abuse, she will practically own him.

It can be risky. It can even result in Vessel-loss (or may be planned to!). But with high risk can come high reward.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 03-28-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
naraht

Quote:
My first thought here was for the Definitive examples of a Malakite and Cherub on Guard Duty, Daniel and Hutriel. (Which would definitely be Hardcore)

Yes, there may be a Need fulfilled but since even Demon Princes are proscribed by Asmodeus from attacking the Angels of Final Judgment, I expect that the only question is whether Daniel and Hutriel can soulkill the Lilim without leaving their station or whether they simply leave a very very badly wounded Lilim for the Game to arrest.

My belief is that Daniel and Hutriel have pretty much *every* attunment (both choir and servitor) from Dominic (and useful attunements from other AA's too), so they have Heavenly Judgement which means they can hit the Lilim without ever moving.
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
PenitentDemon

i doubt many liilim would do it, personally, beyond noting that the person was "Probaly an angel" because you'll probaly get a 1 onr 2 dot geas...

Then again, if you know an obnoxiuous calabite, or Shedite, you can throw at the malakim... you kill 2 birds with one stone.

but if the Geas level wasnt low... his archangel, would probaly be VERY UPSET... not just at having to either accept whatever happens from the geas... but or strip it, but someone with a need past level 2 for "combat" Is probaly growing corrupt and needs to be reassigned.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
Rocket Man

Quote:

but if the Geas level wasnt low... his archangel, would probaly be VERY UPSET... not just at having to either accept whatever happens from the geas... but or strip it, but someone with a need past level 2 for "combat" Is probaly growing corrupt and needs to be reassigned.
On the other hand, a Malakite should have a burning Need to "destroy evil" and many will have "fight and kill a demon" as a matter of course. Not necessarily corrupt, just eager to do the job they were made to do.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

Default Re: Geas vs. Malakim

I'v always had a minor beef about the scenario of a Lilim snaring a Malakite by using the Malakite's "need" to smite evil, because it ignores the Malakite's *other* (and far more important) obligation: to *not* be taken by the forces of Hell. There are *two* oaths common to all Malakim: 1) smite evil, unless directed otherwise, and 2) do not surrender or be taken captive by Hell. Thus, to allow a Lilim to plant a geas-hook (by "letting" him kill her current vessel) would by its very nature be dissonant to the Malakim (Hell just snared him!). And since the "smite evil" oath has a condition, but the "no surrender" oath does *not*, that means (to me) that the second one is slightly higher in precendence (or importance, or strength, however you call it).
fwcain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
Rocket Man

Interesting point. Of course, the Lilim could pose as (for example) a Mummy and let the Virtue take her out without knowing her nature ... that still sets the scenario nicely if the Virtue isn't paying attenion.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
It can be risky. It can even result in Vessel-loss (or may be planned to!). But with high risk can come high reward.
Ah, yes - I remember K.K. ...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

As always, I remind people that K.K. only works because of GM Fiat. Without her infinite supply of vessels, she's not much of a threat anymore.

(Her main use is to be a warning for overly violent PCs who might otherwise whack demons first and complain to the GM afterwards that busting up the mall in pursuit of the little demon girl scouts is perfectly in character. As noted, an angel who allows himself to get hooked might indeed be risking dissonance. (...of course, that's Funny. O;> ) They're certainly risking Someone Else Controlling Their Character (kinda), which would hopefully make them slow down and think a little. After all, if the game gets that much out of sync with player vs. GM expectations... Dark Humor smiles. >_> )

Tags
furfur, lilim