Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2021, 07:37 AM   #1
Someone404

Default Power Modifier (Cinematic)

So I was thinking. For cinematic games (namely Action and Monster Hunters), it doesn't make all that much sense for heroes to have 15 ST when just walking around. When was the last time you saw Buffy beating up a random bully?

So I propose a Power Modifier (Cinematic). The power modifier would bar the abilities from mundane use. Problem is, don't know how much it would be worth.
Someone404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Power Modifier (Cinematic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone404 View Post
So I was thinking. For cinematic games (namely Action and Monster Hunters), it doesn't make all that much sense for heroes to have 15 ST when just walking around. When was the last time you saw Buffy beating up a random bully?

So I propose a Power Modifier (Cinematic). The power modifier would bar the abilities from mundane use. Problem is, don't know how much it would be worth.
GURPS Powers speaks about evaluating the value of custom Power Modifiers. What limitations do you want the PM to include? 'cause, "You can't buy this if you have Mundane Background" is kinda already built into the Mundane Background disadvantage and so wouldn't be a valid limitation.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #3
Someone404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
GURPS Powers speaks about evaluating the value of custom Power Modifiers. What limitations do you want the PM to include? 'cause, "You can't buy this if you have Mundane Background" is kinda already built into the Mundane Background disadvantage and so wouldn't be a valid limitation.
I was thinking more along the lines of "Accessibility: Not for mundane things"
Old 07-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
Dinadon

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of "Accessibility: Not for mundane things"
Mundane and cinematic aren't opposites. A gritty magic or psionics campaign can easily have abilities that only work on empowered things without any form of cinematic goings-on in the setting.

Overall, cinematic is a play style not a feature of the world so having it as a power modifier is hard to justify. Also, mundane things is very hard to qualify. If I can buy night vision goggles does that mean I can't have night vision as a power since there is a mundane equivalent? More precise power definitions can lead to better worldbuilding.

For instance, a Slayer power may have ST(Only vs Evil) as an ability, but Only vs Evil may not be part of the power modifier. This would allow a Slayer to have Regeneration that can also deal with mundane wounds, which is thematic.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
Someone404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
Mundane and cinematic aren't opposites. A gritty magic or psionics campaign can easily have abilities that only work on empowered things without any form of cinematic goings-on in the setting.

Overall, cinematic is a play style not a feature of the world so having it as a power modifier is hard to justify. Also, mundane things is very hard to qualify. If I can buy night vision goggles does that mean I can't have night vision as a power since there is a mundane equivalent? More precise power definitions can lead to better worldbuilding.

For instance, a Slayer power may have ST(Only vs Evil) as an ability, but Only vs Evil may not be part of the power modifier. This would allow a Slayer to have Regeneration that can also deal with mundane wounds, which is thematic.
You make a good point. I was thinking along the lines of "These heroes are only this strong when dealing with The Enemy. Otherwise, they're just normal people". Your IQ of 14 wouldn't let you ace a test, nor would your Move of 7 let you win the track meet.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:42 AM   #6
lvalero

I probably would use "Emergencies only". So, for example, one PC could have additional levels of ST with "emergencies only" so he could only use his additional strength only while in a real danger "life or death" scene.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:46 AM   #7
Someone404

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
I probably would use "Emergencies only". So, for example, one PC could have additional levels of ST with "emergencies only" so he could only use his additional strength only while in a real danger "life or death" scene.
That makes a good chunk of sense to me, though I think full power in emergencies only would be better.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #8
Tinman

Quote:

I think Buffy specifically would be a bad example. I'm sure I've seen her use her superhuman ST in mundane situations, just usually not to hurt people. Faith for sure has.

I think Buffy's not using her powers is a code of honor not a limitation on the power.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I think Buffy specifically would be a bad example. I'm sure I've seen her use her superhuman ST in mundane situations, just usually not to hurt people. Faith for sure has.

I think Buffy's not using her powers is a code of honor not a limitation on the power.
I haven't watched the show in years, but I definitely remember a scene of her using her super-strength while just working as a construction worker. So it's definitely something applicable in all situations.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #10
dcarson

There is always something like the Roger Rabbit, Only if it's funny limitation.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power modifier, powers