Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #31
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost In Dreams [Vladimir]

Vladamir heads out with a knife, just in case. He follows the small man up to a hill that overlooks the battle. There are several other hills around, some taller and with a better view, but these seem to have either officers with telescopes or artillery.

There are over 60 people on the hill: 40 women, 20 men, and a flag waving the red cross. The doctors seem to be enjoying the view, though many of them are debating strategy. Actually, they seem to be debating not what the best strategy is but what will happen. Bets are being laid on what will happen. The main form of currency seems to be what order people will return to the tent in.

The small fellow Vladamir followed out introduces himself as Pancho Garcegas, who thought that their new comrade could use some relaxation before the causulties started streaming in, and introduces some of the other doctors and nurses, and tries to make some small talk.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #32
ThatMusicWriter

"Soooo..." Vladimir starts. "Have you ever tried to stop people from dying BEFORE the battle is over?" He is rather irritated with whoever these foolish people are.
ThatMusicWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #33
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Garcegas: "Ahh ... some of us are. Or rather, a different division of men is. You see, we are the reserve! you understand? no? Well, battles are not one big brawl. Most of a battle is walking around and missing the other people. Its all above manuever-- see? We try to flank them, they flank us, we put cannon in inconvient locations, and they try to move us. Most of the manuever is all about threats. Only a few people will be injured. The doctors there will take care of that, and send back the very few they can't, or that can move by themselves: a man shot in the arm, and so forth.

Eventually, one of the generals will decide the other made too large of a mistake, or that he must have that inconvenient hill with the cannon, or something like that. That's when people die, and when people get hurt. There will only be seven or eight of those, and scattered across the battle field. The battle may rest on a flanking of the left, or on a push to the right, or on that cannon battery on the inconvenient hill. And two or three of the engagements will dwarf the others. We're waiting for those. When they happen, we'll descend upon the battle ground and take care of most the causulties. If we're all tangled up in the line, we can't get there as quickly. Do you see now?"

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #34
ThatMusicWriter

"So really," says Vladimir, "we're playing cat and mouse... with cannons. What's next, a f***ing judges panel?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #35
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"The judges panel is called the international convention, and it meets in Geneva. They nominally are in charge of this invasion. Of course, they take so long to decide anything all that really happens is they reward or punish our generals with little regard to how the war is actually going."

"Cat and mouse ... its how war has always been. and the cannons aren't that new of an addition. sorry you had to get conscripted this way. by the way, how did you end up here..."

Old 02-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #36
ThatMusicWriter

"Damned if I know," he says. "I'm just going to do what I've always done: heal. I don't even know what the hell this war is about, let alone why the hell I'm in the middle of it."
Old 02-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #37
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Garcegas: "The war is about freedom! empowerment! destruction of tyranny! But that is what most wars have been about in the last hundred years. The others have been about conquest. This war is no different. The forces of liberty will conquer the despots of mars! But once a war has started, you have to finish it, and you fight because you must. Or in our case, preserve the lives and limbs of those who have fallen."

"But you do not know how you got here? you will figure it out soon enough. We'll get to Zarella and you'll be free to go where-ever ... not to mention we'll get in touch with headquarters."

Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #38
ThatMusicWriter

"The last time I recall a call for 'destruction of tyranny,' things only became worse," says Vladimir, thinking of the USSR. "Twice."
Old 02-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #39
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"Careful what you say and where you say it. I'm not one to report such things, but such talk can be considered seditious, regardless of the truth. Things have changed in the last few years. Once you could have said that and everyone would have laughed or ignored you. now you'd be a spy or a traitor."

"Look! the martian general is feeling confident today: he's starting a general assault quite early."

several lone lines of red uniformed soldiers were advancing across one of the valleys between the armies. the general noise of shot and cannon increased.

"We'll head down there or not after it becomes apperent how serious the attack is. I suspect that's the first engagement of the day though."

Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #40
ThatMusicWriter

"Well," say Vladimir, "I haven't heard anything else, so that would appear to be the case."

Tags
lost in dreams