Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Quick Question: Can I use Sorcery's improvised magic to enhance a spell I have?

Hey, all.

Let's say I have the Bolt of Fire spell. Can I use my Sorcerous Empowerment 10 to add the Homing enhancement to my Bolt of Fire if the 10 points can cover the difference between Bolt of Fire and Homing Bolt of Fire? Or do I have to improvise a brand new Homing Bolt of Fire spell?

I figure I'd have to improvise a brand new spell, but I just wanted to make sure I couldn't get around that.

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Quick Question: Can I use Sorcery's improvised magic to enhance a spell I have?

As sorcery spells are alternate abilities of improvised magic, under normal conditions 'no'. If you had two types of sorcery you could in principle use one to enhance the other.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
chandley

Default Re: Quick Question: Can I use Sorcery's improvised magic to enhance a spell I have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
As sorcery spells are alternate abilities of improvised magic, under normal conditions 'no'. If you had two types of sorcery you could in principle use one to enhance the other.
Or if you had paid to be able to use two spells at the same time, you could have one be Bolt of Fire, and the other be an improvisation using your full Sorcery level adding to Bolt of Fire. Legal, as you are still only using two of your A/As.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Let's say I have the Bolt of Fire spell. Can I use my Sorcerous Empowerment 10 to add the Homing enhancement to my Bolt of Fire if the 10 points can cover the difference between Bolt of Fire and Homing Bolt of Fire? Or do I have to improvise a brand new Homing Bolt of Fire spell?

I figure I'd have to improvise a brand new spell, but I just wanted to make sure I couldn't get around that.
You have to improvise a brand-new spell. Sorcerous Empowerment can only be used to improvise spells, not add-ons or enhancements to spells; that's one of the assumptions under which it was constructed. (That is, it's part of why its underlying MA's cost is 5+5/pt rather than 7+5/pt like Slotted Cosmic Power.) So even if you can cast simultaneous spells (and could therefore have both one known and one improvised spell "up and ready"), you can't use Sorcerous Empowerment to modify or upgrade a known spell.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhancement, improvise, modular abilities, sorcerous empowerment, sorcery