Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #11
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?
Default Re: Does ordinary clothing provide DR?

Some heavier duty cloth probably qualifies as DR1(or dr1 vs cutting/impaling/piercing). I'm thinking Dickies work pants and BDUs. I was bit by a 60lb german shep whielwearign a dual layer of dickies and bdus, and there was a tiny puncture and a bit of bruising on my leg. Had I not had them on, I'm sure I would've had a very nasty bite wound. A carhardt(or similar) jacket probably qualifies for DR1 all around.

However, there is probably an upper limit to how much you can stack this. Dickies and BDUs are DR 1 together, not DR2.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #12
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Some heavier duty cloth probably qualifies as DR1(or dr1 vs cutting/impaling/piercing). I'm thinking Dickies work pants and BDUs. I was bit by a 60lb german shep whielwearign a dual layer of dickies and bdus, and there was a tiny puncture and a bit of bruising on my leg. Had I not had them on, I'm sure I would've had a very nasty bite wound. A carhardt(or similar) jacket probably qualifies for DR1 all around.

However, there is probably an upper limit to how much you can stack this. Dickies and BDUs are DR 1 together, not DR2.
Given that cloth armor explicitly has DR 1, I'm going to go with heavy duty protective clothing of whatever sort has DR 1, most daywear has no DR (unless you're someplace cold enough that daywear includes layered furs or the like).
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #13
DanHoward

Heavy duty protective clothing is not as protective as cloth armour. It would be the equivalent of winter clothing or light leather that gives DR 1 vs cutting only. DR 1 cloth armour consists of two layers of cloth that have been stuffed to 2-3 inches thick like a cushion and then compressed with quilting. It is too thick to wear under armour. You'd need multiple layers of clothing to get the same protection - like a parka worn over winter clothing as described in Low-Tech.

Last edited by DanHoward; 07-27-2014 at 11:17 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #14
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Had I not had them on, I'm sure I would've had a very nasty bite wound.
One point of damage is a pretty severe injury in GURPS. A lot of cuts, contusions and bruises would not qualify as a 1-point wound. That's one of the reasons I want to double hit points and DRs. To give a finer granularity of damage at the bottom end of the scale.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #15
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
One point of damage is a pretty severe injury in GURPS. A lot of cuts, contusions and bruises would not qualify as a 1-point wound. That's one of the reasons I want to double hit points and DRs. To give a finer granularity of damage at the bottom end of the scale.
If you want fine granularity, It would be better for a log scale, otherwise, you always has the impass between 0 and 1, and 1 and 2.

Of course, that would throw away HP based damage, but it can be done.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:04 AM   #16
Langy

Yeah. I'm not a fan of HP-based damage anyways - thresholds that are per-injury plus some penalty for injuries that don't quite hit a threshold would make much more sense.

People are not ablative, and wounds do not add up in a strictly linear sense.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 AM   #17
GodBeastX

Ordinary is relative and GM must rule. There's guidelines in many source books, and TL definitely comes into account.

Jeans and a T-shirt are 0 DR at TL8.

Winter hides might have DR at TL1.

5 sweatshirts on might provide some DR against crushing.

Really is up to the GM if you feel like something would be worth some DR.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #18
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
DR 1 cloth armour consists of two layers of cloth that have been stuffed to 2-3 inches thick like a cushion and then compressed with quilting. It is too thick to wear under armour.
What, then, is a gambeson/padded jack? I wear a padded jack under maille with no issue.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #19
Ashtagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
People are not ablative...
Not even in sufficiently large quantities?
Ashtagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #20
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Ordinary is relative and GM must rule. There's guidelines in many source books, and TL definitely comes into account.

Jeans and a T-shirt are 0 DR at TL8.

Winter hides might have DR at TL1.

5 sweatshirts on might provide some DR against crushing.

Really is up to the GM if you feel like something would be worth some DR.
I doubt this is what you meant, but I want to specifically note that those winter hides still have whatever DR they do (probably 1 vs. cutting...) at any TL. People aren't likely to be wearing them at TL8, but the hides still work the same as they ever did.