Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-18-2021, 07:18 AM   #11
naloth

Default Re: Creating Portals and objects weight

Quote:
Warp (Area Effect 1 (2-yard radius), +50%; Blind Only, -50%; Extended Duration (x3), +20%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Extra Carrying Capacity (Extra-Heavy), +50%; Gyroscopic, +10%; Improved, +10%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 1, +20%; Reliable 15, +75%; Tunnelling (before), +100%) [385]
As a GM I'd point out:
- Taking Blind Only as -25% limitation that doesn't do anything doesn't work. It also makes your Reduced Fatigue pretty meaningless since it will require 2 fatigue to add a +1.
- Warp doesn't have an built-in fatigue cost, though you can use fatigue to reduce penalties.
- Reliable only goes up to +10, though you can also take 4 levels of Talent (5/lvl) to give you a +14 to your IQ roll.

If you take Warp as a 1 turn action the penalty is -5 than add up to -10 for range, you can offset that with +10 reliable, +4 talent, and +1 for fatigue (which is discounted by Reduced Fatigue) for a straight IQ roll.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:38 AM   #12
Crystalline_Entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
As a GM I'd point out:
- Taking Blind Only as -25% limitation that doesn't do anything doesn't work. It also makes your Reduced Fatigue pretty meaningless since it will require 2 fatigue to add a +1.
I thought Blind Only removed the requirement that you could see, or had prior knowledge of your destination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Warp doesn't have an built-in fatigue cost, though you can use fatigue to reduce penalties.
Oops. I was thinking of Jumper! I've been doing that wrong for years... Okay, so I guess to offset penalties above that allowed by Talent or Reliable you need two levels of Reduced Fatigue Cost for each plus one (or a Rules Exemption Perk).
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:41 AM   #13
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattos View Post
Im not the GM but he is very permissive. To be honest i am more worried about follow the rules than him.
Read the previously linked post from Kromm. Kromm is Sean Punch, the GURPS Line Editor (since 1995, taking over from Steve Jackson). That's about as authoritative of a ruling as you could get, short of your own group deciding they want to things to work differently. (Yes, I just said you and your GM outrank Kromm. Kromm wrote that rule and interprets it that way, too :))

He uses examples of 80 tons of ore or 1000 slaves with a pyramid as able to go through a Warp Tunnel with Extra-Heavy Carrying Capacity. Two posts later, he writes that this value (+50%) is considered fair for a tunnel that acts like a physical connection between two points -- that is, moving things regardless of weight as long as they fit (much like a real physical tunnel). So given those comments, you might just read as well read "Extra-Heavy Encumbrance" as "Unlimited".

There's not a published rule that discussed higher and higher weight thresholds for Warp. (Understandable, if Kromm's point is taken at face value and +50% admits any amount that can move through the Warp Tunnel.)

If your group doesn't like the sudden leap from a fairly small number to unlimited capacity or wants to make it cost ever more to move large quantities, then I notice that the cost progressions for multiples of carrying capacity (10%, 20%, 30%, 50%) and the encumbrance limits are pretty close to the values in the SSR table. So you could just go with that to have an extended scale. (Read "yards" as "multiples of BL", take the size bonus, add one, times 10% as the cost for an Enhancement to permit "yards" times BL as the upper limit on weight.) Not a perfect match ("Heavy" comes out at 5x, not 6x), but that's really not going to matter way up the scale. So, a +300% Enhancement would get you up to +29 = 150,000 "yds" x BL 20 = 3 million pounds.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #14
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
I thought Blind Only removed the requirement that you could see, or had prior knowledge of your destination?
The limitation version adds restrictions rather than removes them. Blind as an enhancement would let you either use coordinates (same rules as Blind Only) or create a portal by normally using visualization.

Blind Only means you're always at -5 to Warp in addition to any other penalties, you never benefit from seeing or visualizing your destination, and it costs two fatigue per +1 to your roll (instead of 1/+1). Blind also means that you're picking coordinates so you'd better calculate your position just right, especially if you're aiming for targets like the moon.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:18 PM   #15
bmattos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Read the previously linked post from Kromm. Kromm is Sean Punch, the GURPS Line Editor (since 1995, taking over from Steve Jackson). That's about as authoritative of a ruling as you could get, short of your own group deciding they want to things to work differently. (Yes, I just said you and your GM outrank Kromm. Kromm wrote that rule and interprets it that way, too :))

He uses examples of 80 tons of ore or 1000 slaves with a pyramid as able to go through a Warp Tunnel with Extra-Heavy Carrying Capacity. Two posts later, he writes that this value (+50%) is considered fair for a tunnel that acts like a physical connection between two points -- that is, moving things regardless of weight as long as they fit (much like a real physical tunnel). So given those comments, you might just read as well read "Extra-Heavy Encumbrance" as "Unlimited".

There's not a published rule that discussed higher and higher weight thresholds for Warp. (Understandable, if Kromm's point is taken at face value and +50% admits any amount that can move through the Warp Tunnel.)

If your group doesn't like the sudden leap from a fairly small number to unlimited capacity or wants to make it cost ever more to move large quantities, then I notice that the cost progressions for multiples of carrying capacity (10%, 20%, 30%, 50%) and the encumbrance limits are pretty close to the values in the SSR table. So you could just go with that to have an extended scale. (Read "yards" as "multiples of BL", take the size bonus, add one, times 10% as the cost for an Enhancement to permit "yards" times BL as the upper limit on weight.) Not a perfect match ("Heavy" comes out at 5x, not 6x), but that's really not going to matter way up the scale. So, a +300% Enhancement would get you up to +29 = 150,000 "yds" x BL 20 = 3 million pounds.
The way he writes on the post is kinda abstract for me. In my understanding you can use the extra Carrying Capacity to achieve that. But not that remove weight limit.

But maybe is my broken english capabilities.

I will calculate with that and other mods to see if i can reach what i imagine. And will post here. But in the end will depend on GM. As always.

Tbh i was intrigued by how a rpg system that theorically can make anything, i was not able to make a portal maker, or the portal gun.. etc... RAW off course.

Thanks for the help
bmattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:46 PM   #16
Anaraxes

If you'd like another approach to the same end, compare with the Cosmic Enhancement on B103. ("Cosmic" unfortunately has a few meanings in the rules. Here, I'm talking about the one that lets you suspend rules.) The +50% level (same price as Extra-Heavy Encumbrance) says "Your ability is not subject to the usual built-in restrictions". Examples are a Healing ability that can cure diseases labelled as incurable; Insubstantially penetrating barriers that specifically block insubstantial beings; and Shapeshifting that's immune to negation by external forces.

In this case, the built-in restriction to Warp that no longer applies would be the weight limit on transported items.

Other examples of +50% Cosmic used to remove standard built-in restrictions in Powers include Morph that's not limited to traits that actually exist in the game world, Super-Effort which can have its FP cost reduced (explicitly forbidden by the base rule), allowing Time-Spanning to be used on an attack ability (normally forbidden), removing the minimum 1 HP of damage by an attack with an Armor Divisor from Injury Tolerance, and Regeneration that works on those that are already dead (and thus can bring them back to life).

The common theme is that abilities built from Advantages that have some restriction in RAW have that rule removed. Cosmic, No Weight Limit, on Warp with Tunneling seems to me to be about the same degree of extravagance as these examples. (And the example in the forum thread would probably be clearer if it had a Cosmic labelled as exactly that rather than just re-using the maximum weight limit with Tunneling to mean "no weight limit", because it's the same price and (per Kromm) a fair one.)

There are +100% and +250% and +300% examples of Cosmic, which tends to be things like "no die roll required" for success/attack rolls or "no active defense allowed" or "irresistible attack". So you can always increase the cost if you feel strongly about the importance of that weight limit. (Warp is an expensive ability, though, so +50% means 50 CP. +300% would be 300 CP -- which can buy quite a lot of other unfairness, like being able to act 4 times per turn with Altered Time Rate.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #17
bmattos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
(Warp is an expensive ability, though, so +50% means 50 CP. +300% would be 300 CP -- which can buy quite a lot of other unfairness, like being able to act 4 times per turn with Altered Time Rate.)
I have to say. You got me on that "act 4 times per turn"

Since the GM give a lot of points, and the portal in the way i want is totally broken, i was ok with the fact to spend 500, 600CP just on warp. Its the base of character concept for sake... And yet i was "but man... Its broken..." But i never see by this angle, how much broke could be with same CP on anything else... Mimd control, altered time rate...

Thanks. You really open my eyes.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:47 PM   #18
bmattos

Soo... Considering the Kromm vision of extra carrying Capacity, i think i was able to build it.

Warp : area effect 1 (2 yard rad) +50%; gyroscopic, +10% ; tunnel (before), +100% ; No strain, +25%; reliable 10, +50%; Extra Carrying Capacity (Extra-Heavy), +50%; fixed duration, +0%; Supers -10% [385]

Still miss some pieces to make it perfect. First i need to "shoot" portals somewhere... My idea is Affliction( this warp i wrote before). But i still have some questions.

1. There is a way to i control the time the portal keeps open?can i close whatever i like? I dont find an enhancement to it. But some post from Kromm says this ausence of control is intentional on tunnel to bring some... Balance.

2. Marvel's Spot use the portals as some sort of parry, but reflecting and redirecting the attacks. The parry ok, power parry on affliction. But i find nothing to redirect.

3. Since the portals keep open for some time soo far 10secs, can i "shoot" more , and have more than 1 tunnel open? Maybe along many actions or using rapid fire.