Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-22-2023, 08:43 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Spell of the Week: Turn Missiles

Turn Missiles is one of the neat new tricks IQ 9 wizards picked up in Legacy (and just in ITL, not the Wizard boardgame). Have you seen anybody use it yet and if so how did you handle the following:
  1. Turn Missiles isn't on the Reveal Magic spell list, is it revealed?
  2. It also isn't on the Secret Protection list. Do you hide to-hit rolls from missile weapon users when this spell might or might not be in effect?
  3. Does Turn Missiles protect against oil splash effects? (ITL 124)
  4. Whataboutism other things tossed into the hex of the protected figure such as slimes, falling rocks, darts from traps, or explosive gems?
Old 08-23-2023, 09:24 AM   #2
phiwum

Default Re: Spell of the Week: Turn Missiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Turn Missiles is one of the neat new tricks IQ 9 wizards picked up in Legacy (and just in ITL, not the Wizard boardgame). Have you seen anybody use it yet and if so how did you handle the following:
  2. It also isn't on the Secret Protection list. Do you hide to-hit rolls from missile weapon users when this spell might or might not be in effect?
  4. Whataboutism other things tossed into the hex of the protected figure such as slimes, falling rocks, darts from traps, or explosive gems?
Those are good questions. I haven't seen Turn Missiles in play yet, but here are my answers.
  1. I'd add it to the list of Reveal Magic.
  2. I would add the spell to the Secret Protection list. I would not hide to-hit rolls from missile weapon users. The spell turns the missile in a way that the attacker can see.
  3. Good question. I think I'd let it protect against splash, since it is a fairly underwhelming spell as it is. This would definitely be a house rule, as it's not an obvious corollary to the text.
  4. Good questions. I doubt I'd allow it to protect against falling objects (nor against flyers or actors who leap into the hex). I'd allow it to protect against dart traps. I think it could prevent an explosive gem from landing in the target's hex, but I would have it land in an adjacent hex. (I would also not use "whataboutism" as a synonym for "what about", but I'd never use the former term in any context anyway and I suppose that this usage is a character trait for some by now.)
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:45 AM   #3
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Yes, this spell has come up in my games. In one instance, it let an arrow fly past a foe and then hit a PC. So far, I don't think the players have cottoned on.

I'd let Reveal Magic work on Turn Missiles.

Does this spell work against passive "missiles" like splashes and falling rocks? In the spirit of believing that inconvenient limits on magic can actually be fun, I'd argue that unless those are purposely aimed, they are outside the parameters of the spell. I think this is consistent with my attitude toward wizards' staves being left with the intention that someone pick them up so that it explodes (namely, that intention disallows the explosion). Doubtless, I'll change my mind when I'm playing a wizard trying to navigate a passage rife with poison darts. As for slimes, I'd say that the spell doesn't work since a slime isn't a spell or a weapon.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:25 PM   #4
Steve Plambeck

You could really spice up Turn Missiles by instead of having the shot simply fly past, roll 1d6. The intended target has six hexsides, and the roll determines the new direction for the missile. 15% chance there it will reverse and fly back at the shooter, but any of the new directions might prove... interesting.
Old 08-25-2023, 07:06 AM   #5
Axly Suregrip

I tend to interpret defensive spells in a way to keep them useful. I find that these spells are always a judgement call to when to turn on and spend the ST verses when they are actually useful. Thus, rewarding the choice by not being too picky is nice.

In general, if there is a question about if Turn Missile or Dispel Missile being a defensive spell, and so on, since these are newer additions deriving from Reverse Missile, I would treat them as I would treat Reverse Missiles.

- Yes, definitively. It is a secret protective spell.

- Which list is this? ITL 19 & 136 I take as examples. It is by definition a protective spell and secret. So, it is a secret protective spell. So, yes, hide the roll and adjust later after the turn is complete (as per Reverse Missiles). And as the spell states, the missile continues to travel in a straight line.

- Now we are getting into the tricky questions. I would say molotail splash affect (ie, the 2 damage from an adjacent molotail explosion) is not a missile. Nor is the explosion from a grenade or petard or explosive gem. Nor is the gas from a gas bomb. All are an instance of a wave of particles/gas/fluid; instead of a single distinct projectile.

- Another great question. I will always start this with thinking, "Would Reverse Missiles apply?" to see if that adds any clarity. There are several answers needed as this covers a lot of different situations:

-- Slimes, Gargoyles, Panthers: are not projectiles but creatures pouncing/falling/diving into HTH. This spell does not affect these.

-- Molotails, gas bombs and grenades are thrown into the hex (at the ground) and not directly at the subject. This is reflected in the DX adjustment being much easier than throwing at a target subject. For these, Turn Missile, Dispel Missile and Reverse Missile SHOULD have no effect based on the spell description stating "aimed at the spell’s subject". But, as my initial comments, I prefer to lean in favor of defensive spells. Gas bombs and grenades do not matter much if they hit the hex behind the target, but it matters a lot to a molotail affect. I like these being affected by the spell. I believe it fits the spirit of the spell.

-- Explosive Gems: the blast or splash is not subject to this spell. The gem when thrown is, just like any other projectile thrown directly at the subject.

-- Traps: Darts and Arrows from traps are missiles and they are aimed, mechanically, at the subject. These fully fit the description of the spell and should miss the subject.

-- Traps of falling debris: A collapsing ceiling or falling rocks to me seem more like a wave of particles, very large particles, and not a distinct projectile. It is a continuum from arrow trap, to falling rocks trap, to rolling bolder trap, to crushing walls trap. The crushing walls and rolling bolder are not projectiles but the arrows are. A bunch of rocks fall are a bunch of projectiles. So it is a grey area. I could go either way and as of now, I have not made up my mind.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 10:03 PM   #6
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
You could really spice up Turn Missiles by instead of having the shot simply fly past, roll 1d6. The intended target has six hexsides, and the roll determines the new direction for the missile. 15% chance there it will reverse and fly back at the shooter, but any of the new directions might prove... interesting.
That'd be Deflect Missile or Redirect Missile, and is a fun idea, but probably wants a scatter system that would allow other than those six cardinal directions.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 01:52 AM   #7
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
That'd be Deflect Missile or Redirect Missile, and is a fun idea, but probably wants a scatter system that would allow other than those six cardinal directions.
Ah, yes - hex grain! Methinks a 12-sided die, and numbering the vertices along with the hex sides would be sufficient to make it interesting. Unless someone makes 360 sided dice....