Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-09-2022, 06:37 PM   #1
phiwum

Default Prematurely ending a spell

Some spells, like Light, explicitly mention that the caster can end it at any time. Others, like Fire, say, or Slippery Floor, don't. In the section on Illusions and Images (ITL 139), we see that these can be willed away.

Now, I think I've seen some rule somewhere specifying more broadly which spells may be prematurely ended at will. It may have been about "Continuing Spells" (though, note that neither Light nor Fire [1] is a "Continuing Spell" according to the definition on p. 140).

Li'l help here? Thanks.

[1] Light isn't a Continuing Spell because there's no re-energizing cost. Fire definitely ought to be a Continuing Spell, but the rule on p. 140 explicitly mentions a per turn cost to re-energize but spells like Fire, Illusion, etc., speak of renewal at longer rates than per turn isn't covered in "Continuing Spells".

Of course, this really must be an oversight. Anything that can be renewed is, I think, a Continuing Spell.

ETA: Ah, took me a while to enter the right search terms to find the thread I was thinking of. Axly asked the same question here.

Last edited by phiwum; 10-09-2022 at 07:59 PM.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:23 PM   #2
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Prematurely ending a spell

So for those spells that say "The wizard can make the light go out at any time" ITL 18, (or any similar spell) does that mean
a) At the renew spell stage of Turn Sequence

b) during the Wizard's Movement Phase

c) At the start of The Action Phase, before anyone else goes

d) during the Wizard's Action Phase

e) At the end of The Action Phase, before Forced Retreats

or anytime in between these phases?
-------------------
  • If it happens during the wizard's action phase, I am assuming that it is an instant thing that can happen at any time during his action, regardless of what else he does (like fight or read a line or while talking)?

• If it can be done at anytime, could it be done while the wizard is walking 5 hexes, where it happens on hex 2 (during the movement phase)?

• If it happens during the Action Phase, can the "anytime" be before someone else's DX action takes place?

These are not quite on the slant of your question, but it is dealing with prematurely ending a spell.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:48 AM   #3
phiwum

I read it as quite permissive, so that any time is any time. If the wizard acts before his opponent, he can strike the opponent and then douse the light.

I wouldn't allow him to douse it after his opponent announces his action and before he acts, however.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
Axly Suregrip

Phinum,
Exactly the way I see it. Anytime, can before initiative, after initiative, between different team's movement, between different DX intervals during actions. But not so narrowly sliced that you can gotcha a foe after he announces his action.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:28 AM   #5
Alden Loveshade

There seems to be two threads covering much of the same territory. It might be helpful to check them both out!

https://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=175621

https://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=186238

EDIT: Ah, it seems the original poster already pointed that out!

Last edited by Alden Loveshade; 10-13-2022 at 11:29 AM. Reason: additional information
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote