Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2022, 02:38 PM   #1
nothri

Default Old Skies Game Demo (Infinite Worlds Inspiration)

Hopefully this is the appropriate place to talk about media that inspires ideas for GURPS campaigns. Otherwise apologies.

In any event, I recently played through a demo of an upcoming adventure game called Old Skies. I am a fan of the old school point and click series and this so far ticks off all the right boxes for me. Beyond just being a promising adventure game by itself, though, I was struck by how much of a Infinite Worlds/Time Travel vibe it gave off (something sadly rare in science fiction stories and games in my experience...at least as far as recent media is concerned). The game appears to involve a agent working with some future organization involved in changing or preserving the past and apparently catering to clients who wish to alter events in their old lives. It has a nice element of "science fiction espionage" I associate with the Infinity Patrol, including a 'handler' you can radio for historical information and general advice while you solve a little mystery and anticipate the movements of rival parties. If your like me, it always helps to have a kind of frame of reference when picturing how a game of Infinite Worlds should flow, and this feels like a good example of the type of shenanigans and challenges a party should be dealing with in an average adventure of this sort. Its also nice that they include something akin to the idea of temporal inertia...objects and people are classified as low or high priority when it comes to keeping the timeline stable- basically the higher the priority the more ripples and alterations you would cause by casually interacting with something or someone.

Just a quick heads up. Had fun playing the demo, encourage other people to check it out if they enjoy that time of story and/or looking for a bit of inspiration for a Infinity Patrol game or one of the alternate settings dealing with parallel worlds or timetravel.
nothri is offline   Reply With Quote