Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
Otaku

Default [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#50): Extended Lifespan, Longevity, Unaging

Previous Thread: Enhanced Tracking
Next Thread: Extra Arms

If you're new to this series or just want to leave feedback about it, check out the Introduction Thread. If you need help finding something we've already discussed, johndallman is maintaining an index of which traits we've discussed. This is especially handy if the trait you are searching for happens to have been part of a multi-subject review.

Basic

Today we will be looking at three traits - Extended Lifespan, Longevity, and Unaging - as they all reduce or completely eliminate the detrimental effects of aging. By default, once a character is 50 years old, once per year the player or GM must make a HT-based "aging roll" for each of the four main Attributes (ST, DX, IQ, and HT itself). At age 70, the frequency you must roll goes from once-per-year to every six months, then it halves again to once every three months at age 90. Success means there is no decline, but failure means that Attribute drops by one and a critical failure lowers the Attribute in question by two. TL provides a modifier to these rolls (see p. B444 for details), and you may not use Luck to re-roll. With the GM's permission, you may be able to lose CP from your character equal to the value of the lost Attribute(s) instead: losing or reducing an Advantage, gaining or worsening a Disadvantage.

Longevity (p. B66) is a Mundane, Physical Advantage that costs 2 CP and affects what fails for aging rolls. If you have this trait, only a 17 or 18 fails and only the latter counts as a critical failure. If your modified HT roll is against 17 or more, then only an 18 fails, and it doesn't count as a critical failure. Extended Life Span (p. B53) is an Exotic, Physical Advantage that costs 2 CP per level. Each level doubles your age of maturity (18 is the default), the age at which you first start making aging rolls once per year, the age at which you must roll once every six months, and the age at which you must roll once every three months. This can be combined with Longevity.

Unaging (p. B95), an Exotic, Physical Advantage that costs 15 CP, and prevents you from needing to make aging rolls at all. It also prevents you from being aged unnaturally, unless you take another trait that says otherwise (like Dependency with the "Ages Unnaturally" Enhancement). There is an Enhancement available to Unaging - Age Control - which adds +20% to the cost but allows you to superficially age (no aging rolls, but your appearance changes accordingly). You may do so at up to 10 times the normal pace of aging, and in either direction (growing older or younger). Even the book points out that it is more cost efficient to take Unaging than 8 (or more) levels of Extended Lifespan.

Other Supplements
  • GURPS Powers does not mention Extended Lifespan or Longevity, and only mentions Unaging as part of various Powers, and in passing while explaining more general concepts (the appropriate use of Limited, for example).
  • GURPS Supers includes Longevity in multiple templates.
  • GURPS Update lets us know that Extended Lifespan, Longevity, and Unaging all share the same name as their 3e counterparts. It also lists Extended Lifespan and Unaging in write-ups for replicating certain 3e traits that did not transfer to 4e.

Past Editions

Under the Third Edition (Revised) rules, aging operated in a similar manner as it does now. As such, so do all three of these traits. One relevant difference is that you could take "Age" as a Disadvantage. Longevity can be found on page 21 of GURPS Basic Set (Third Edition, Revised), where it costs 5 CP, lacks the bonus effect when your HT roll is made against a 17 or higher and states that you cannot receive points back from the Age Disadvantage if you have Longevity. I don't know in which supplement they first appear, but we'll be referencing Compendium I for the next two traits.

Extended Lifespan appears on page 54 and is specifically cited as a Racial Advantage (thus unavailable to Supers or the like). It costs 5 CP per level and works very similar to its Fourth Edition counterpart. The differences I noticed were that each level does not double the time between major age thresholds, but increases the span by the base value e.g. one level would effectively double things, but two levels merely triples the original value (instead of quadrupling it). The text also mentions that time between required aging rolls also doubles.

Finally, Unaging shows up on page 69. Again, the character may not take the "Age" Disadvantage, or at least cannot get any points back for taking it. Though unnamed, the same Enhancement that allows one to age in either direction at up to 10 times the normal speed is present. As Third Edition rules capped how many points you could invest in Skills based on age, a suggestion on how to handle that is also given.

Useful Links

Feel free to suggestion any existing threads or other, appropriate links on this matter.

Discussion Starters

This is (usually) a generic list of questions for those who want to participate in the discussion but need a little help. If you already know what you want to say, feel free to skip these. ;)
  • Have you ever taken this trait for one of your PCs or NPCs? How did it work out?
  • Is there anything this trait does really well?
  • Is there anything you think this trait could or should do differently?
  • Any related traits you believe are necessary for full discussion? Go ahead and bring them up, but remember that this is a thread for Elastic Skin.
  • Any thoughts on how the 4e version of these traits compares to them in earlier editions?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 08-02-2018 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Finally noticed it still said "Next thread: Pending"
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#50): Extended Lifespan, Longevity, Unaging

Monster hunters has several templates that ought to have unaging on them, but explicitly don't because it's not an advantage in play.

Similarly, many gms replace these traits with immunity or resistance to aging effects.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#50): Extended Lifespan, Longevity, Unaging

I've only dealt with Longevity, which I allow characters to buy freely in play provided they do so before they're old enough to make their first aging roll. I both run and play campaigns in which multiple years of game time have passed, and where characters can reasonably make long-term plans. I've also used it when writing character sheets for historical people; it's usually fairly obvious who should have it.

Fit and Very Fit apply to aging rolls, of course. I'd be interested in the limitation value for "HT, only for aging rolls."
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Discussion Starters

This is (usually) a generic list of questions for those who want to participate in the discussion but need a little help. If you already know what you want to say, feel free to skip these. ;)
  • Have you ever taken this trait for one of your PCs or NPCs? How did it work out?
  • Is there anything this trait does really well?
  • Is there anything you think this trait could or should do differently?
  • Any related traits you believe are necessary for full discussion? Go ahead and bring them up, but remember that this is a thread for Elastic Skin.
  • Any thoughts on how the 4e version of these traits compares to them in earlier editions?
I have taken Longevity on a PC once, as a justification for her looking 20ish in her mid-30s or so. I felt the cost was OK as an unusual background of sorts. OTOH, I haven't ever taken Elastic Skin because when I go for versatile shapeshifty traits, I go for Morph.

As a GM, I mostly treat all aging-related traits as Features because the longest aging that PCs in my campaigns underwent is a decade (of years that are shorter than ours).
Old 01-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
[
Past Editions

Under the Third Edition (Revised) rules, aging operated in a similar manner as it does now. As such, so do all three of these traits. One relevant difference is that you could take "Age" as a Disadvantage. Longevity can be found on page 21 of GURPS Basic Set (Third Edition, Revised), where it costs 5 CP, lacks the bonus effect when your HT roll is made against a 17 or higher and states that you cannot receive points back from the Age Disadvantage if you have Longevity. I don't know in which supplement they first appear, but we'll be referencing Compendium I for the next two traits.

Extended Lifespan appears on page 54 and is specifically cited as a Racial Advantage (thus unavailable to Supers or the like). It costs 5 CP per level and works very similar to its Fourth Edition counterpart. The differences I noticed were that each level does not double the time between major age thresholds, but increases the span by the base value e.g. one level would effectively double things, but two levels merely triples the original value (instead of quadrupling it). The text also mentions that time between required aging rolls also doubles.

Finally, Unaging shows up on page 69. Again, the character may not take the "Age" Disadvantage, or at least cannot get any points back for taking it. Though unnamed, the same Enhancement that allows one to age in either direction at up to 10 times the normal speed is present. As Third Edition rules capped how many points you could invest in Skills based on age, a suggestion on how to handle that is also given.

Useful Links

Discussion Starters
[LIST][*]Have you ever taken this trait for one of your PCs or NPCs? How did it work out?
]
Longevity and Unaging go a long way back. I think pretty definitely before the 3rd ed. Maybe even all the way to 1e. When I first saw them Longevity was 40 pts and Unaging as 60 pts.

I thing to note about the old version of Extended Lifespan is that most Racial templates (such as in Bio-tech) took a separate Advantage to not have their date of maturity doubled. In 4e this became a 0 pt Feature.

As to characters, in 3e I had a 500 year-old character who had none of these traits. He just used Magic to prevent aging, specifically the Halt Aging spell.

When I was GM'ing World of D'y'r't Famed mage Aldehar the Incendiary got a Great Wish once and used it to become Unaging. That saved him from learning and casting the Halt Aging spell.

If you wonder about the rest of the group from that campaign I think Gage, King of Rogues had some sort of plan about not dying but she kept it secret. I'm sure she wasn't going anywhere without her money. Nix the Barbarian said she was going to Heaven with Brother Hugh. Sometimes when he did that Brother Hugh was just running errands for Ra but he wasn't going to tell Nyx she couldn't come.

My first 4e character, Belisiarius MacArthur, genetically engineered warrior-accountant had 2 levels of Extended Lifespan from his nano. He could have gotten more time from bio-tech rejuvenation if he needed it too but before that came up he acquired a sort of life support symbiont.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I have taken Longevity on a PC once, as a justification for her looking 20ish in her mid-30s or so.
Yeah.

The most important reason that the changes that Project Jade Serenity caused in the 'supersoldier' candidates include something like Longevity, Extended Lifespan or even Unaging was to justify comic book aging and the trope that most every important character has the physique of someone in their young adult prime, unless it's an important plot point for them not to.

Chase Taylor (my PC) doesn't look even remotely his age at 37 and Cherry Bell, our NPC resident psychopath, looks nineteen at most, despite being 36. Some of the US Army Special Forces NPCs who were in their mid-forties already when they went through Project Jade Serenity look rugged enough seventeen years later, even appropriately middle-aged, but they are all ripped as [bleep], with the bodies of much younger men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
As a GM, I mostly treat all aging-related traits as Features because the longest aging that PCs in my campaigns underwent is a decade (of years that are shorter than ours).
In any campaign where point costs matter, I agree with this. I've never had Longevity, Extended Lifespan or Unaging actually provide an in-game benefit woth a single point. They are merely a part of background.

Last edited by Icelander; 01-27-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Longevity and Unaging go a long way back. I think pretty definitely before the 3rd ed. Maybe even all the way to 1e. When I first saw them Longevity was 40 pts and Unaging as 60 pts.
They aren't in 1e. Longevity is in Horseclans, from 1987, where it is 40 points. I don't know where Unaging originated.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In any campaign where point costs matter, I agree with this. I've never had Longevity, Extended Lifespan or Unaging actually provide an in-game benefit woth a single point. They are merely a part of background.
The only time I've ever seen it come up as 'useful' is in games where enemies have powers based on Ageing... but it's still very rare, and even in those games the ageing effects were pretty much as easily fixable as HP damage was.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
Celti

Lately I've been treating Unaging as a Rare category for Resistant, Longevity as a perk-level Unusual Background, and letting all other age-related traits fall by the wayside while treating lifespan as a Feature. Aging-based attacks work in proportion to the target's natural lifespan (or one-half/one-quarter that amount for Resistant levels lower than Immunity, if that's appropriate). Age Control becomes limited shapeshifting.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
(E)

My current campaign is centered around a party of elves all of whom are unaging. The campaign is planned to cover about seven or eight thousand years of game time in erratic detail. I have had to throw in a couple of house rules to do with skill levels as a result. There are some other issues to do with linguistic drift as well.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, extended lifespan, longevity, unaging, week, [basic]