Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #1
Emerikol

Default GURPS Vehicles: Biremes and Triremes

So I am pretty excited about the Biremes and Triremes. I don't own any GURPS vehicles books yet, though I've had my eye on spaceships even though I am not planning on running a space campaign just yet.

To be a playtester, can you just setup some scenarios or do you have to bring it into your campaign. I'm still not quiet ready to start my campaign. Working hard on getting it all setup. But I would love to check this out and maybe run through a battle or whatever is needed to do the playtest.

I saw the pending call for playtesters on Kromm's blog.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Vehicles: Biremes and Triremes

The specific requirements will be listed in the post calling for playtesters.
Generally speaking its that you have purchased $50+in the last year, familiarity with certain GURPS Books (Basic and whatever is relevant to the upcoming book), and familiarity with the material.
Exceptions are made, for example usually a few people not familiar with the subject but familiar with GURPS are encouraged to apply as part of the target audience will include such people. So its helpful to know the material is understandable and useful to nonexperts.

I suspect having a few of the GURPS Vehicles series will be helpful to get accepted, but doubt GURPS Spaceships will be.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:58 AM   #3
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The specific requirements will be listed in the post calling for playtesters.
Generally speaking its that you have purchased $50+in the last year, familiarity with certain GURPS Books (Basic and whatever is relevant to the upcoming book), and familiarity with the material.
Exceptions are made, for example usually a few people not familiar with the subject but familiar with GURPS are encouraged to apply as part of the target audience will include such people. So its helpful to know the material is understandable and useful to nonexperts.

I suspect having a few of the GURPS Vehicles series will be helpful to get accepted, but doubt GURPS Spaceships will be.
Thanks, I don't yet own the GURPS vehicles books. I'm playing mostly fantasy but I'm wanting a ancients world (A.D. 0 or a bit earlier) technology wise and biremes and triremes seems a good fit.

I've got the 50 bucks covered in pdfs (I can send a picture of my print books and that of course exceeds 50 by a lot)
Old 07-26-2021, 07:02 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post

I've got the 50 bucks covered in pdfs (I can send a picture of my print books and that of course exceeds 50 by a lot)
They ask for your W23 account ID (not the password) and can look at it themselves. That is also used to give you your com0plimentary copy if you contribute meaningfully to the play test.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:37 AM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post

To be a playtester, can you just setup some scenarios or do you have to bring it into your campaign.
The full requirements will appear in the call for playtesters, which I hope to be posting toward the end of this week.

Calls for playtesters typically identify a few areas of useful real-world knowledge, and request people who have education or practical experience in one or more of those areas, regardless of their years playing GURPS. They also list some GURPS supplements, and ask for people who are familiar with most of those regardless of their real-world background. Thus, there are two equally valid ways to get into a playtest.

Gaming experience weights GURPS familiarity, but is more "nice to have" than "essential" in most cases. Raw hours of GURPS play carry weight only for playtests of stats- and rules-heavy materials that aim to expand the game system for its own sake. GURPS Vehicles: Biremes and Triremes isn't that. The GURPS Vehicles series is closer to GURPS Encounters, Hot Spots, or Locations: set-piece resources with at least some ties to reality.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The full requirements will appear in the call for playtesters, which I hope to be posting toward the end of this week.

Calls for playtesters typically identify a few areas of useful real-world knowledge, and request people who have education or practical experience in one or more of those areas, regardless of their years playing GURPS. They also list some GURPS supplements, and ask for people who are familiar with most of those regardless of their real-world background. Thus, there are two equally valid ways to get into a playtest.

Gaming experience weights GURPS familiarity, but is more "nice to have" than "essential" in most cases. Raw hours of GURPS play carry weight only for playtests of stats- and rules-heavy materials that aim to expand the game system for its own sake. GURPS Vehicles: Biremes and Triremes isn't that. The GURPS Vehicles series is closer to GURPS Encounters, Hot Spots, or Locations: set-piece resources with at least some ties to reality.
I am looking forward to this product so I will apply to be a playtester but if I don't get chosen it won't be the end of the world. I was just curious. I am a history buff but I don't think I'm all that knowledgeable specifically of biremes and triremes. I like Roman era history a lot though.

Either way you have at least one person waiting to buy it already.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #7
RogerBW

I've been Lead Playtester on the last few GURPS playtests, and it is planned that I shall do that job on this one too.

Don't worry too much about details of the system for playtester selection. It's quite a fuzzy process, and the authors' whims (and mine!) can play a role.

Do, in your application, say why you think you are a good fit for this specific playtest. The CFP will say what we're looking for, but that's not an exhaustive list; maybe you have some bit of skill or knowledge that we haven't thought of.

I don't like to turn anyone down, but I would much rather turn away ten people than lose one who didn't apply because they thought they didn't know enough to contribute.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:28 AM   #8
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
I've been Lead Playtester on the last few GURPS playtests, and it is planned that I shall do that job on this one too.

Don't worry too much about details of the system for playtester selection. It's quite a fuzzy process, and the authors' whims (and mine!) can play a role.

Do, in your application, say why you think you are a good fit for this specific playtest. The CFP will say what we're looking for, but that's not an exhaustive list; maybe you have some bit of skill or knowledge that we haven't thought of.

I don't like to turn anyone down, but I would much rather turn away ten people than lose one who didn't apply because they thought they didn't know enough to contribute.
I assume if I ask and get turned down that
1. You all don't hate me
2. I won't be kicked off the forums
3. I won't be banned from buying the product when it does come out.

If I ask I assume the worse that can happen is I just get politely turned down. If you say yes then great, I will be excited to help however I can to make it a great product.

I found the subject interesting is why I am thinking of jumping in on the testing. I am into history especially that era. I am a rules fiddler so maybe I can find something helpful.