Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-17-2021, 02:32 AM   #11
Tom Mazanec

Default Re: Interesting fantasy world

Alternatively this could be the result of a Banestorm 1300 odd years ago, porting in races that look like a cross between a meerkat and a roadrunner, a monster lobster/python chimera, or a bad acid trip version of a giant flightless bumblebee, as well as magical or ultratech artifacts.
Tom Mazanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #12
Tom Mazanec

I will try writing a fanfic based on this comic and our world 2019 "coming together".
Old 08-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #13
Tom Mazanec

Here is an attempted RPG design of the yinglet race:

https://www.furaffinity.net/view/22368562/
Old 08-25-2021, 06:26 PM   #14
Stone Dog

Personally, I never charge for age related disadvantages or advantages unless the scope of the game is going to carry through that amount of time. Mostly it is just free/wasted points when I manage to get characters on tables.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:31 PM   #15
RGTraynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
Personally, I never charge for age related disadvantages or advantages unless the scope of the game is going to carry through that amount of time. Mostly it is just free/wasted points when I manage to get characters on tables.
+1. Honestly, other than for racial packages -- and even then I reduce them sharply in cost -- Longevity/Extended Lifespan isn't worth more than a 1-pt Perk, and that's really only for those "Yeah, I might not look it, but I really was at the Battle of Shedra, and it didn't quite spin out the way the histories are telling it ..." conversations.

There's the longstanding GURPS shibboleth that a Disadvantage that doesn't disadvantage you isn't worth points. It should come with a corollary that an Advantage that doesn't give you an advantage shouldn't cost points.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #16
Tom Mazanec

Here is another RPGing of the yinglets (for D&D):
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Yinglet_(5e_Race)
Old 08-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #17
Tom Mazanec

And yet another one:
https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LXa_...lUUQTM3GyM958P
Old 08-26-2021, 03:30 PM   #18
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
Here is another RPGing of the yinglets (for D&D):
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Yinglet_(5e_Race)
Your link doesn't work. The one in the quote does (the closing paranthesis was outside the URL code).
Old 08-27-2021, 10:24 PM   #19
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
+1. Honestly, other than for racial packages -- and even then I reduce them sharply in cost -- Longevity/Extended Lifespan isn't worth more than a 1-pt Perk, and that's really only for those "Yeah, I might not look it, but I really was at the Battle of Shedra, and it didn't quite spin out the way the histories are telling it ..." conversations.
For most campaigns, I just use PK's house rule version, where Unaging (or arbitrarily long natural lifespan) is 5 points and all other aging traits are halved. It effectively makes Extended Lifespan a leveled perk.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:57 PM   #20
Inky

The important effect of unusual lifespans in a game, unless it's an unusual game that covers a very long time in time-lapse style, is that the character is older or younger than their physical state would suggest and therefore has more or fewer skills. Maybe a yinglet template should have a guideline that since yinglet adventurers may be only three or four years old, they shouldn't have more than X points in skills without a good reason? But then they can live to be forty, so you could have a yinglet of 20 or 30 who's lived long enough to have a normal amount of points in skills and isn't too old for adventuring.