Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Healing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Neither. Being able to Heal yourself with Psionic Healing was the default. Not beign ab;le to Heal yourself was a Limitation. Also -30% I think.
So if that set "not myself" and "only myself" as having the same value on something which affects both...

"Not Myself" is basically -50% to cancel out the -50%, so "Only Myself" being -50% (instead of -80 or -100) could be fair.

Especially since this could be on top of a bunch of stuff you could easily skirt when targeting oneself like Requires Grapple / Touch-Based Reversed / Contact Agent.

Something like Blood Agent or Blood Agent, Reversed on Healing intended for oneself (or Affliction: Regeneration) is also an exploit we should keep in mind when pricing self-only stuff.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

PK and I settled on -50% for for "Self Only" for Afflictions for Sorcery when I was writing up a spell for my article Codex Duello. I'd probably charge the same on Healing.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Healing is second only to Regrowth in terms of unpopularity. I can't count the number of times I've seen people proposing workarounds to avoid buying Healing.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:07 PM   #14
Not

Reprice at 20. Require a 10 point unusual background in mundane settings. Now it's comparable to magery 1 plus major healing and prereqs.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:08 PM   #15
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Healing is second only to Regrowth in terms of unpopularity. I can't count the number of times I've seen people proposing workarounds to avoid buying Healing.
I've never liked Healing; its FP cost makes it inconvenient and risky to use and makes it different from almost any other ability that might be described as specialized forms of Control Living Tissue (many Afflictions, for example).

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:52 AM   #16
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I tend to prefer some variant of 'Affliction (Advantage: Regeneration)' over the Healing advantage, though admittedly not due to price.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:39 AM   #17
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I tend to prefer some variant of 'Affliction (Advantage: Regeneration)' over the Healing advantage, though admittedly not due to price.
the way healing potions have changed in adventure games (D1>D2 eg) seems to favor the "small period of ticks" rather than "all at once" approach to healing

Path of Exile has an interesting middle ground where there's sometimes special pots which emulate the near-instantaneous of classic pots where in exchange for less HP healed you heal more per second for fewer second.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:03 AM   #18
Otaku

I think it worth mentioning that Powers p.161 does list a few Skills that can be used in place of just an IQ role with Healing. In fact, I would like to know if there is a more detailed treatment of this approach. Especially lending itself to the notion of a medical team, mixing and matching both their skills and powers to treat others.

Related to this is something that is as much about game balance as it is about aiding in suspension of disbelief. The penalties for curing diseases... I assume this is as much about the crunch as the fluff? That is, the idea is a disease that the available forms of non-powered healing cannot handle, are supposed to carry a bigger penalty than those that medical science, natural recovery, etc. can already treat.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #19
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I think it worth mentioning that Powers p.161 does list a few Skills that can be used in place of just an IQ role with Healing. In fact, I would like to know if there is a more detailed treatment of this approach.
I always liked the idea of powers needing skill rolls that default to attribute minus 6, made advantages a lot lower-powered compared to their low costs which seems to help in balancinng them against costly magic or the cost of basic attributes. IE why buy +1 to DX for 20 points when you can get Burning Attack 2 and be a fireball-throwin' god
Old 12-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #20
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I when you can get Burning Attack 2 and be a fireball-throwin' god
We don't call those "fireball throwin' gods" We call them "arrow magnets".

Tags
advantage of the week, healing