Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 04-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #11
Icelander

Default Re: South African Coalition - Politics, laws, structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
"Only corporations are citizens, people are not citizens" does not seem like something out of post-cyberpunk genre-wise, as is much of the rest of the high-end corp-related stuff.
The real-world contains enough complexity for a huge number of genres. THS would feel pretty unrealistic if the entire world was still limited to one genre of stories.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #12
ldj00

Default Re: South African Coalition - Politics, laws, structure

Hello Vicky,

This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj00 View Post
Now you have no government, or so little government that has no power over the corporations. This allows the corporation to basically do what they want. They might have declared only corporations are citizens, while people are just dwellers there, not citizens. The corporations would offer some protections for their employees, but everyone else would be a second class citizen. That would give it a very cyberpunk feel.
If that is what you were referring to, I gave some suggestions to Icelander to provide a cyberpunk feel to a city state near or contained by the SAC.

I think of it like this, North Korea's government starts to collapse (military coups, massive embezzlement, etc), the government, in a desperate grab to remain in charge, makes agreements with corporations that promise to stabilize and keep them in charge. Once going down that road, those in the government keep getting 'forced' to make these deals, instead of doing the hard work to fix their countries economy and socio-economic structure. Before long, the majority of the population are basically indentured servants to one of a few corporations that have all the power in the country. And why would they think this is wrong? They have now lived generations with some of the most strick governmental controls on the planet.

I could see that happening over the next 10 to 15 years IRL, so I could see something like this happening to a border country or free city on the border of the SAC, especially just south of supposedly some of the poorest countries on Earth (TS, pg 85).

Or, instead of North Korea, what if a group of corporations formed som partnership to 'save Haiti'? I could see a take-over of governmental functions by corporations there... Or many other countries that are wartorn or ravaged by massive criminal organizations.

Any of the countries listed in this article could easily collapse or be taken over... Well, at least enough for a setting like Transhuman Space.

That is my opinion, if you think it is over the top, then it obviously will not work for you and your games. Maybe Icelander likes it... or maybe they do not.

Tags
citizenship, economy, south african coalition, transhuman space