Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #151
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Terradyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindstalk View Post
You assume wrong. I only encountered the Internet in college, and the Web hit us a couple of years later. ...
I wasn't just "in college". I was 39 when I got my first computer. I only got it because there was an internet too. Of the machines I dealt with in college even the card reader you fed the paper punchcards into was the size of a washing machine. they generally didn't even let you see the real computer. .

There may have been a significant change in the way my grandparents lived after WWII when my grandmother stopped killing her own chickens and went completely store-bought instead.

Much of that though was economic and not technological. They couldn't afford to do that until after the war. This is one of the major factors in actually changing the mass of people's lives. The increase in Wealth by TL in Gurps is reflects real facts of economic growth.

So many of the technologies you and others identify as "existing" in 1900 had little real impact on the mass of the US population or their lives at that point.

By the way there may not be any actual telegraph companies in business any more. I know the last telegram in the US was sent a number of years ago and I saw a piece earlier this year that "the last telegram in the world" had been sent in India.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #152
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post

So many of the technologies you and others identify as "existing" in 1900 had little real impact on the mass of the US population or their lives at that point.
Well in my case the technologies I mention were intended to be technologies that were either not available in 1900 or weren't in general distribution yet but were in full force by 1950.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #153
mindstalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Which? Railroads? Telegraphs (if you read the newspaper, or did business, or were affected by a war they affected your life.)? Photographs? Urban streetcars, subways, gaslamps, and electric lights?

Yeah, rural conditions would be behind the cutting edge, just as the Third World is behind our cutting edge. A lot of the difference there is neither economic nor technologically but political, e.g. rural electrification and other subsidies for extending services and roads beyond the cities.

Quote:
By the way there may not be any actual telegraph companies in business any more. I know the last telegram in the US was sent a number of years ago and I saw a piece earlier this year that "the last telegram in the world" had been sent in India.
Nope. That piece was somewhere between badly headlined and total BS. The Indian state telegraph company was shutting down, but private companies still exist, and for that matter so do state ones -- I've read every post office in Italy has a Telex and printer. It was a non-story, maybe fed by assumptions that obviously backward India had to be the last place using such a primitive technology.

http://mindstalk.livejournal.com/369742.html
mindstalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #154
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindstalk View Post
I've read every post office in Italy has a Telex and printer.
I'll have to check, but I've been in Italy for 2 years now, and I've never heard of anyone using it, ever.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #155
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
I'll have to check, but I've been in Italy for 2 years now, and I've never heard of anyone using it, ever.
They might still be there, used by different kinds of people than the kinds you hear from and know about.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
terradyne, transhuman space