Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
pieclone

Default Re: Reading through the Suppressed Transmissions

I bought both as dead tree editions from my FLGS last year and have read and re-read them multiple times. Ken Hite is directly responsible for me spending several hundreds pounds* on books since then thanks to his recommendations, bibliography and general awesomeness. Two of the books on my desk right now are suggestions from ST1 and my Kindle has another half dozen from ST1 and ST2.

His brief mention of "The School of Night" sent me off on a spiral of spending that is still ongoing right now and in fact was what preempted my decision to run the most detailed GURPS game I've ever run. They are probably my favourite non-crunchy GURPS books and have given me endless ideas for short games and pushed me in directions I would never have thought of in a million years.

In addition to all the roleplaying goodness they are an excellent read in general for trivia, entertainment and have expanded my reading horizons, not just in "High Weirdness" but also in all the supporting subjects. My renewed love for the works of Shakespeare, my reading of Marlowe's Doctor Faust, the discovery of Tim Powers and Frances Yates are all attributable to Mr Hite's excellent books.

I wish I could afford a Pyramid subscription on top of all this expenditure and would love to get access to all the ST articles outside the collected editions but I'd only end up spending thousands more if I did gain access to the new columns...

Roll on 4e Horror and then let him loose on GURPS Gloriana ;)

*it's too shameful to admit how much but it's over £500 but not quite £1000...
pieclone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conspiracy, occultism, suppressed transmission, suppressed transmissions