Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-27-2022, 03:19 PM   #31
alforno

Default Re: Jab attacks and facing

I'd argue that facing DX bonuses apply for all physical attacks accept missile attacks, regardless of range. Determine the facing direction by using the same rules as described for ranged combat, just in reverse.

My reason is that nowhere does it state a facing bonus exception for any physical attack other than for missile weapons. The only physical attack that gets a written explicit exception is the missile attack.

"Missile weapons never get a bonus for the target’s facing." ITL 115

If you agree with that, then here's how to determine what bonus you get for a jab or throw that comes in on the line.

The illustration with the shaded hexes on ITL 106 show us what we need for side/rear hex bonus. We'll start with a 1-hex target. All we are doing is looking at who is considered to be in T's front hexes. From there we can make a determination of what is NOT a front hex. By applying the same rules as the front hex to the side and rear we get this. The rear hex decision is weighted to favor the sides, just as it is done for the front against the sides.

HTML Code:
  ____        ____        ____
 /    \      /    \      /    \ 
/front \____/      \____/front \
\      /    \front /    \      /
 \____/front \____/front \____/ 
/front \____/   T  \____/front \
\      /    \      /    \      /
 \____/Side  \____/Side  \____/
/Side  \____/Rear  \____/Side  \
 \____/Side  \____/Side  \____/ 
 /    \      /Rear\      /    \ 
/Side  \____/      \____/Side  \
 \____/Rear  \____/Rear  \____/

The same rules work for multi-hex targets.
I've made graphics to illustrate this for 1-hex and 3-hex, but still want to do the 4-hex and 7-hex examples. Once I get it all done, I can upload somewhere if anyone is interested.
alforno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:51 PM   #32
hcobb

How does this brand new house rule of remote facings work for horses, giants, and dragons please?
Old 07-27-2022, 05:16 PM   #33
alforno

If you are referring to my intepretation of the rules as written, then it works using the exact same logic as the 1-hex example. The example from ITL 106 shows us what a front hex is for ranged combat. Why wouldn't it work in reverse?
Apologies if I'm not supposed to post imgur links, but not sure how else to share an image.

1-hex
https://imgur.com/vjhO3gg

3-hex has the point on top, so slightly different. I think my 3-hex is wrong, so need to spend more time on it.
https://imgur.com/Uf4ryuB

I'll have to create examples for the larger figures, but I think the same logic will work.

Last edited by alforno; 07-27-2022 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:04 PM   #34
alforno

Quote:
Originally Posted by alforno View Post
Here's the giant 3-hex using the same rules. It looks odd, but I think that is because we have a 2 hex wide rear.
https://imgur.com/oKVULlo
The more I think about it, the more my interpretation seems overly complex. RAW target facing bonus probably only applies to adjacent hexes. It was fun trying to figure it out though.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:49 AM   #35
alforno

I decided to go ahead and finish illustrating my idea for the ranged target facing DX bonus. I'll have to try it out with my whip-wielding physicker and blunderbuss-shooting dwarf.

Showing target facing bonus for 1,3,4 and 7 hex figures:
https://imgur.com/XPNpazf

Tags
facing, jab, pole weapons