Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-04-2022, 07:44 PM   #21
Shostak

Default Re: Environmental Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Those were just sample numbers off the top of my head to illustrate the model -- a whole heck of a lot more thought would have to go into any actual numbers. Probably a lower baseline number, and higher bonuses for talents would both be needed to bring results in line with the balances we're already used to. Also to consider is that this kind of thing would undermine the DX attribute considerable, turning it into a dump stat outside of combat hit rolls, and my gut says that might well be undesirable.
Would attributes contribute modifiers at all? If not, but they were to continue being used as prerequisites for talents, stats would have value but would be less apt to unbalance the game as they reached higher levels.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #22
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Which makes me think the type of specialization David is looking for might be more simply addressed using a bonus from the character’s AREA KNOWLEDGE talent.
And then the character travels to a different forest and suddenly they're no better than anyone else. I don't think this isn't going to satisfy someone who wants to play a foresty person. It also puts a lot on the GM, making Area Knowledge more important means the GM has to make a lot more decisions about how large the area is, what sorts of tests it applies to, etc.

It's really a very different idea, and doesn't do what I'm looking to do. Not that I hate Area Knowledge, I just think it's used for other purposes.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:38 PM   #23
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Whataboutism your typical untalented IQ 17 wizard right fresh out of her apprenticeship? This goblin shall automatically spot everything she walks past?
An excellent argument for separating academic intelligence from cunning.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:45 PM   #24
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I guessed that the value you see in it has to do with less to write on character sheets, and on being able to efficiently list that someone has all the abilities you think most or every person skilled in an environment would have.
My actual reason is given in the original post I made at the start of this thread. The third paragraph under "Philosophy" has the core of it. It has nothing to do with brevity of character sheets, though the brevity of TFT character sheets is something I would like to retain. If there is something I wrote in the first post that gave you the impression I was trying to shorten character sheets then please tell me what it was so I can clarify in later drafts.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #25
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Would attributes contribute modifiers at all?
Perhaps the natural endpoint of this approach is to eliminate attributes completely. Characters would be defined by their talents. It's not really TFT but I suppose it could work.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #26
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
And then the character travels to a different forest and suddenly they're no better than anyone else. I don't think this isn't going to satisfy someone who wants to play a foresty person. It also puts a lot on the GM, making Area Knowledge more important means the GM has to make a lot more decisions about how large the area is, what sorts of tests it applies to, etc.
I don't limit AREA KNOWLEDGE in that way, however (which goes to a separate suggestion to rewrite that talent with more clear applications in mind). I believe the talent should encompass both specific and general knowledge. A character raised in a forest kingdom, for example, will obviously know alot about their forest, but they should also know how to apply their relevant skills in any forest.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:37 PM   #27
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Perhaps the natural endpoint of this approach is to eliminate attributes completely. Characters would be defined by their talents. It's not really TFT but I suppose it could work.
If I remember correctly, that would make it more like D&D where you have abilities and life levels that increase those abilities.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:18 PM   #28
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
If I remember correctly, that would make it more like D&D where you have abilities and life levels that increase those abilities.
Yes, and while it could be argued that rolling against some kind of difficulty rating (DC in newer D&D editions) w/ level or skill-based modifiers is a more accurate simulation of task resolution, I wouldn't want to replace TFT's attribute-dependant design.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 05-05-2022 at 05:28 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:38 PM   #29
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Yes, and while it could be argued that rolling against some kind of difficulty rating (DC in newer D&D editions) w/ level or skill-based modifiers is a more accurate simulation of task resolution, I wouldn't want to replace TFT's attribute-dependant design.
It's been 40 years since I played D&D. So, I'm referencing that time period.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:51 PM   #30
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
It's been 40 years since I played D&D. So, I'm referencing that time period.
1e AC is the same idea (i.e. something you have to beat), but presented counter-intuitively IMO since lower numbers represent the harder challenge and therefore required a table to convert 'higher is better' die rolls into a success/fail result.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 05-05-2022 at 06:10 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
environment, split, talents