Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 02-23-2024, 03:48 PM   #1
Dr Rick

Default Outlander cycle?

Quite a few of the early ADQ adventures refer to an "Outlander" cycle, apparently assuming I'll know what one is. The list in my AADAVG2 says it appeared in DCW (and Gurps Autoduel, but I'm not clever enough for GURPS, and I know enough to know it will not help me anyway). Presumably it was in the early editions of the game, but it ain't in my Compendium or DCW material, or in my book of Convoy.

Anybody know where I can find a listing for it? Failing that, and not wanting to infringe any copyrights, a description - eg, heavy cycle, RR on the front, HC 2, passenger, roughly $5K? Or whatever... I get the impression it's a notch up from the Shoguns.

Hopefully some of you got Pocket Box reprints (or originals)!
Dr Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:47 PM   #2
HeatDeath

Default Re: Outlander cycle?

Page 39, GURPS Autoduel 1e.

Heavy cycle, heavy suspension, super cycle powerplant, Accel 15, top speed 90, armed with a single MG or RL front.

Pretty generic.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:48 PM   #3
HeatDeath

Book doesn't give the HC, but this should be enough to rederive it in CWC terms.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 02-24-2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:22 AM   #4
HeatDeath

Apparently it's on the stock vehicle list in the pocketbox too. Hc 2.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:40 AM   #5
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Apparently it's on the stock vehicle list in the pocketbox too. Hc 2.
Yes, it made it all the way to the B&W Car Wars Deluxe Edition but was no longer present from Compendium 2 onwards.

The listing shows the option as a second linked MG rather than an RL (it's the Shogun 200 that has the RL option).

There is a sidecar that goes with it. This has a RL which would need to be fired instead of the main armament as it can't be linked. I would dump the RL, and have a rider with hand weapons or a pintle gun instead. It does however have improved suspension so would increase the HC to 3.

The main issue with the sidecar or the 2 gun version is that you lose what I consider the main advantage of the Outlander which is the acceleration. The basic Outlander could hide in a side street and catch up a vehicle moving at road speeds from a standing start by the time the rider had begun to get his sustained fire from the MG. Of course an MG is pretty pathetic against a combat vehicle, but against the 20pt armour of many of the contemporary vehicles (or an urban runabout) it was adequate (especially with a pack attack).

I reworked it to use modern components to enhance the capability (without altering the basic structure and falls into the scope of a retrofit) and it becomes more credible.

Outlander Redux by Swordtart:
Heavy Cycle; Cycle chassis; Heavy suspension; Super Cycle PP w/HDHTMs; 2 Hvy Duty tires. Driver. Machine Gun w/20xStandard. Pillion Passenger; HD Shocks. 2x9 pt. LRFP Hubs, 1x9 pt. LRFP Guards F; 1x9 pt. LRFP Guards B; 2x9 pt., 2 spc. LRFP CA (Plant, Rider); 2x9 pt., 1 spc. LRFP CA (MG, Pillion*).

Cost: $7,338, Wgt: 1,240,
HC: 2, Top Speed: 160 (105), Accel: 10 (20).

It can still carry 60lb of cargo (e.g. personal gear) without affecting the Accel. That means the Pillion passenger (who has a 360 arc of fire) can carry something pretty chunky. Alternatively you can add conventional armour.

Whilst you lose the 15 Acc of the original, the HDHTMs will bring it to 20 in stern chase. The addition of 4 sets of CA, wheel guards and hubs. and upgrading from Std to HD tires adds resilience. HD shocks means you can actually weather some of the fire that now strips your armour rather than components per the original design.

The cost is almost double, but it is much more resilient.

Alternatively if you want to double down on that speed advantage...

Outlander Speedball Redux by Swordtart:
Heavy Cycle; Streamlining; Cycle chassis; Heavy suspension; Super Cycle PP w/HDHTMs; 2 Standard Radial tires. Driver. Machine Gun w/20xStandard. HD Shocks. 2 pts. Plastic (F: 1 R: 0 L: 0 B: 1 T: 0 U: 0); 2x1 pt. Plastic Hubs, 1x1 pt. Plastic Guards F; 2x1 pt. Plastic Hubs, 1x1 pt. Plastic Guards B; 1x2 pt., 2 spc. Plastic CA (Plant); 1x5 pt., 1 spc. Plastic CA (MG).
Cargo 18lb (Acc 15) or 318lb (Acc 10)
Cost: $6,479, Wgt: 988, HC: 3, Top Speed: 197.5 (130), Accel: 15 (30).

The Std tires of the original have been upgraded to Radials giving a welcome HC boost (which you will need if you are doing 197.5 MPH). Wheel guards and hubs have been added to make the wheels more resilient to gunfire (and virtually immune to hand weapons). Some conventional armour has been retained to allow streamlining but CA has been used instead to bring the protection back up for the main components. There is 18lb spare for personal equipment (IBA for rider usually).

*CA for Pillion may not fit with your interpretation of the rules so you might save this weight and cost.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 03:09 AM   #6
Dr Rick

Thank you all! Since it seems to be the default gang leader cycle I was expecting something marginally less... rubbish :). I'll will probably slightly upskill the original a la Swordtart's designs, and keep working on the rather more competent "Inlander" I started on last night...
Dr Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 03:37 PM   #7
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rick View Post
Hopefully some of you got Pocket Box reprints (or originals)!
The _Outlander_ dates from _CW_ Pocket Box, no less -- it's one of the first vehicles ever published. It's in the insert with the Weapon Data, the road sheets, and such.

Citing from same:

Heavy cycle; Heavy susp.; Super PP; 2x Std. tire; driver. MG [F]; Cargo: 2 sp., 310 lbs. Armor: F, B: 5. $4,920; 990 lbs. [unloaded]. Acc.: 15 [up to 10 lbs. cargo] | 10; TS: 180 [up to 10 lbs. cargo] | 155 [loaded]; HC: 2.

Option: Remove 2 sp.|200 lbs. cargo; add MG [F or B]. $6,420.

There's also a sidecar:

Heavy s-car; Imp. susp.; 1x Std. tire. RL [F]; Cargo: 1 sp.|15 lbs. Armor: F, L, R, B, U: 4. $2,400; 750 lbs. [loaded].

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:17 AM   #8
juris

The Outlander, the Joseph Special, and the Hotshot (among others) were some of the first stock designs, and complete trash. Everyone driving them is long dead. I will say they were good in one sense, a new player could design something better right away.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 02:05 PM   #9
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
The Outlander, the Joseph Special, and the Hotshot (among others) were some of the first stock designs, and complete trash. Everyone driving them is long dead. I will say they were good in one sense, a new player could design something better right away.
The _Joseph Special_ wasn't *that* bad -- I won some "classic era" duels in NOVA with both versions.

The _Outlander_ is most-assuredly a Support Unit, with all that cargo space; "combat" cycles are the _Shogun_ 100, or 200 (esp. the RR variant). For ex., if one is creating the cycle force for "Pack Attack", a "realistic" biker-gang force using only Pocket Box units might look like this:

-- 5x _Shogun 200_ [RR Variant]; each cyclist has BA, SMG
-- 1x _Outlander_; cyclist has Shotgun

The _Shogun_s are for destroying the opponent; the _Outlander_ is ridden by the gang's mechanic, and carries any salvage in the cargo space.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 12:35 PM   #10
swordtart

I took on a $100K big rig and two support vehicles with 3 fast accelerating bikes (like the outlander) that had actually had no vehicular weapons (as the gangers were dregs and the bikes were salvage). There were a total of 6 bikers.

They had set up at an abandoned gas station. They had put a tent on the central reservation about 20 yards forward of their position. The bikes were parked round the side of the gas station on the other side of the carriageway and out of sight with the 3 riders armed with sawn-off shotguns and 3 remaining gangers riding pillion with ARs.

The players had not long defeated a poorly coordinated attempt to intercept them, however the lead vehicle had lost a front wheel guard and taken some minor front damage, the tail end Charlie had lost all his front armour in an ill advised ram but his trike still had full armour on the sides rear and all his dropped weapons fully loaded. He was riding in the rocking chair. The truck bringing up the rear was undamaged but as it was hauling a dual level flatbed it could only use its twin linked IR pulse lasers to front and side arcs. It had 3 linked flaming oil droppers to the rear.

The players presume the tent hides a threat and so the truck opens up on it with the laser (it can't see the bikes at this point). The vanguard decides to turn in at the intersection to attack the bikes with its front mounted BC. The bikes have done nothing so far but now put their foot to the floor and drive straight at the turning vanguard, pillions firing all the time. The trike discovers that Gunner 0 plus and MML against the front of a cycle at over 8" isn't going to work so decides to drop to the rear to cover the truck.

Within seconds the Vanguard has hit a bike with the BC and killed the rider, but it continues straight at him. He has taken a few hits to his front and the other bikers pass him at <1" pillion with pillions and riders firing at his front tire at point blank range. Their to hit at that range is still adequate and their combined fire is enough to destroy it. Split seconds later the vanguard collides with the dead bike who's pillion gives one last defiant burst into his front armour before he smashes the bike losing half his armour in the process.

As the bikes zoom off in pursuit of the truck the vanguard is unable to move at any speed as its HS is tanked and it would need to turn and go off road to turn more quickly. From this point it is effectively out of the fight as despite being fully capable of fire and manoeuvre it can't get LOS quickly enough.

The truck has started dropping flaming oil and the trike is laying spikes in the outside lane to discourage pursuit, but unexpectedly the bikes take the inside and ride on the shoulder and eventually off-road putting the truck between them and the trike who cannot influence the battle.

Unable to get his laser into arc the trucker is forced to keep on closing with the bikes but the nibbling by ARs means he cant afford to go offroad or manoeuvre too harshly. He is slows so that he can make a sharper bend so the bikes run into him. He feels he can withstand a side swipe better than they can. This however plays directly into their hands as the pillions leap from the bikes onto the flatbed and take cover amid the cargo containers.

One of the bikes cannot avoid and wipes out damaging the truck and the other hared off for the cover of the tree-line. It almost made it, but the trucker finally gets a shot on target and vaporises the rider.

The players were left with the difficult decision of whether to leave the safety of their vehicular armour to extract the two dismounts who had entered the cargo containers or just carry on and hope they wouldn't do too much damage.

The players did not realise the aim of the bikers was always to board the trailer and throw the goods off to be picked up later by their starving families.

Never underestimate the power of weak but desperate opponents (on small fast targets) that act unexpectedly or fearlessly. The effects of underestimating them or presuming they will try to slug it out on equal terms can be a significant force multiplier for them.

Whilst this might not appear to be a victory for the dregs, two are still alive and they manage to throw off plenty of goods before they get stopped. The bikes were salvage and there are 4 less mouths to feed. For the players however this spells the beginning of the end for them. The truck expends all its flaming oil to absolutely no effect. The vanguards compromised HC means it becomes a much easier target and only need to loose one more wheel to become a mobility kill (and in a road campaign might mean it gets left behind). The repair costs are significant. The trike also expended all its dropped weapon ammunition. There is no opportunity for the players to salvage anything as they would need to get out and become targets for the dregs on the trailer. Even the minor damage to the truck from the bumps with the bikes represents a significant cost.

This was the second attack in a run of three in a short space of time, with the total value of the opponents being about 1/5th of the players vehicles. It ended with the truck and trike immobilised, the trucker and the trike driver dead and the vanguard captured (but eventually released as he surrendered all his gear). Taken together the Dregs won all three vehciles and all the cargo., so this and the first attack can be be seen as a loss leader.

Last edited by swordtart; 02-27-2024 at 01:01 PM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote