Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2021, 09:45 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Clarification on "Hitting the Wrong Target" rules

Specifically, the precise definition of "line of fire". Is the line of fire only the segment between the attacker and target, or does it continue behind the target in a straight line? I read it as the former, but a GM of mine reads the latter.
awesomenessofme1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:16 PM   #2
Hide

Default Re: Clarification on "Hitting the Wrong Target" rules

In a successful defense against you, your projectile takes a straight line until it hits something else (rolling for 9), assuming the "wrong target" fails its defense roll. It can also hit another target in between (usually with a 9) if you fail your roll in the first place.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:37 PM   #3
Rupert

As far as I'm concerned it's the latter. If it's not, you have the odd effect that bullets that miss just stop at the target, while bullets that are dodged keep going. Besides, in real life bullets that miss continuing down range and killing bystanders are a real thing, and have killed and injured lots of people over the years.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:55 AM   #4
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
As far as I'm concerned it's the latter. If it's not, you have the odd effect that bullets that miss just stop at the target, while bullets that are dodged keep going. Besides, in real life bullets that miss continuing down range and killing bystanders are a real thing, and have killed and injured lots of people over the years.
My issue is not so much that there's a possibility of bullets continuing on and hitting people, it's specifically the line-of-fire part. It seems to me that if you completely miss a target, it's unlikely that it will hit someone further along that same line.
awesomenessofme1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #5
cvannrederode

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
My issue is not so much that there's a possibility of bullets continuing on and hitting people, it's specifically the line-of-fire part. It seems to me that if you completely miss a target, it's unlikely that it will hit someone further along that same line.
Bystanders getting shot is enough of thing that there's apparently street slang for it ("mushroom" because they "pop up", like in Super Mario Brothers). There's study in JSTOR titled "Stray Bullets and "Mushrooms": Random Shootings of Bystanders in Four Cities, 1977–1988" that actually looks at the trend, but I can't read it to see what it says about prevalence.

As far as my thoughts...bullets are capricious and random things, especially when fired in the heat of battle. If bullet doesn't hit its intended target, it is plausible for it to hit anything along the general path it was fired on -- before, beside, or after the target. It's going to hit something.

In fact, I would argue that if an attack uses Rof > 1, and not all shots hit the target, then the remaining shots can hit the wrong target. If someone with a M134 sends 66 shots at something, and only hits with one (or even four or five), what happens to the other 60+ 7.62mm slugs?
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
Dinadon

Quote:
This is why there is a cap of 9 to the skill roll, and why the rule is mentioned in the chapter on Tactical Combat. If combat isn't on a battle map I would be surprised if a GM bothers with this outside of dramatically appropriate situations, most of which would likely involve the shooter firing into a crowd or a queue. Anything else wouldn't be dense enough.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:43 AM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
A hex is larger than the person within it, so missing your target but having the bullet still pass through that hex is entirely possible. If you find it problematic that the bullet always passes through the target's hex, consider applying the "Scatter" rules (B414) to determine the hex the bullet actually passed through (although note this may still result in the bullet passing through the target's hex; obviously, even if that happens, there should be no roll to see if you "accidentally" hit your original target after all).
Old 07-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #8
Pursuivant

Quote:
Specifically, the precise definition of "line of fire". Is the line of fire only the segment between the attacker and target, or does it continue behind the target in a straight line? I read it as the former, but a GM of mine reads the latter.
Line of fire is, realistically and per RAW, anything between the weapon's launch point and its MAX range.

That said, the GM should ignore the chance of random hits unless there's a chance that someone or something important might get hit.

I use "Hitting the Wrong Target" in the following situations:

* Shots directed into melee or crowds, or which might hit delicate or dangerous objects.

* Determining the landing point and associated "collateral damage" from explosive or incendiary missiles which might start fires or cause structural damage.

* "Suppression Fire" from autofire weapons should have a chance of hitting random foes downrange.

* Musket or indirect muscle-powered ranged weapons fire between formed units troops, where the chance of hitting a random enemy is just as important as hitting the nominal target.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:00 PM   #9
Emerikol

Quote:
I think you are thinking wrong on this point. It's very much possible to miss someone since in a yard sized hex and hit someone behind. Part of missing is the target anticipating and dodge out of the way.

Now given that, it is also possible to stray to the left or right. I'd say that is a lot more likely with a high rate of fire weapon like a machinegun than it is a pistol.

The closer the target is to the shooter the less likely the bullet is to go left or right by a yard. Maybe every 10 yards you get a 1 in 6 chance of straying left or right by one. With a machinegun, maybe you make it 2 in 6.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Line of fire is, realistically and per RAW, anything between the weapon's launch point and its MAX range (...)
This is a key statement, I believe that in combination of "hitting the wrong target" the question has been cleared.
What do you think, awesomenessofme1?