Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2021, 01:27 AM   #11
coronatiger

Default Re: Fatigue for Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Well, you could do all you suggest. It seems like just one more thing to remember during a fight. It also doesn't seem to account for encumbrance. Or you could just wait until the end of a fight and ask yourselves, "Did that seem like at least 10 turns?" If it does seem that way, deduct the appropriate FP.
I agree. My experience is that non-mages rarely need to keep track of FP during combat. If you don't have anything to spend your FP on, it doesn't matter if you are at max or at max minus 2 (e.g.) after a fight.

Allowing extra effort actions gives non-mages something to do with their FP, and I recommend this. Still, FP loss for combat participation can be dealt with after the fight. If this makes someone cross the Reeling threshold, and they strictly speaking should have had half move and dodge for the last few turns, justify it as adrenaline rush.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:21 AM   #12
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Well, you could do all you suggest. It seems like just one more thing to remember during a fight. It also doesn't seem to account for encumbrance. Or you could just wait until the end of a fight and ask yourselves, "Did that seem like at least 10 turns?" If it does seem that way, deduct the appropriate FP.
You are right on encumbrance. I suppose you could add your encumbrance level to the number needed to be rolled. So your 5 goes to a 9, which means you'll be burning FP far more frequently. I really can't imagine someone fighting heavily encumbered for long.

GURPS has a lot of rolls already. I am just trying to avoid another. Since 3d is a bell curve, you obviously can pick 16 instead of 5 for the number that causes a fatigue burn. Maybe that is better because you could have a critical on a 5. Of course in that case you'd subtract your encumbrance and not add it to the number.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #13
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
So for clarity, I was thinking on the attack and defense rolls if a certain number came up it just costs you a FP. While the AP system seems cool, I was seeking a simpler system without any bookkeeping other than marking off FP and restoring it.
This is basically what it is except you mark off 1 AP and restore it by taking a Do Nothing.

Under Cole's AP system it just costs 0 AP if you get a critical success.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:11 PM   #14
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
This is basically what it is except you mark off 1 AP and restore it by taking a Do Nothing.

Under Cole's AP system it just costs 0 AP if you get a critical success.
And 10 APs make a FP etc…. it’s not equally simple. I don’t hate his system. I’ve thought about such approaches before. I just think if you want super simple mine works without any meta fatigue currency
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #15
Anaraxes

Quote:
I think if I have to add a die then the opportunity cost of such a system becomes too great.
Roll the 3d6 with one die of a different color than the other two, and then use the special one also to determine the FP loss.

Or just do as Stormcrow suggests, and charge FP on any non-trivial fight. After all, that cost isn't really "1/Enc FP per round, only we don't want to count rounds and do fractions". It's "the adrenaline rush costs you once the adrenaline wears off". (Note how long combats don't cost any more -- even significantly longer combats. It's not a constant rate of expenditure per turn of combat.)

Wouldn't be hard to grab a d10 or d20 and use that as your round counter. Just flip it to the next number at the end of the slowest actor's turn. Or just make tally marks. Some VTTs will count for you. Throw an extra non-combatant token on the map and move it down a row each round. If that kind of thing is too much of a burden, I'd think so would be any method of accounting for FP. (Checking for die rolls or being alert for special values to appear seems to me to be harder and more intrusive than making a tally mark, so I confess I don't really get the motivation.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:15 AM   #16
RedMattis

Does anyone have experience using the system in a modern/sci-fi setting? I figured it might be an unneeded nerf to already fairly weak melee fighters.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:39 AM   #17
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
Does anyone have experience using the system in a modern/sci-fi setting? I figured it might be an unneeded nerf to already fairly weak melee fighters.
Why are modern/sci-fi weak melee?
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #18
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
That would be the bullets most of them can't really deal with.

There will be exceptions of course probably starting with very high Dodges and moving on to Weapon Masters with Force Swords and Precognitive Parry.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:11 PM   #19
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Never bring a vibro-knife to a ray gun fight.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:08 PM   #20
Evil Roy Slade

Quote:
So I was thinking about a way to have combat be fatiguing without having to keep track of the number of rounds that have passed.

If keeping track of elapsed time is an issue, what I use for things like scrolls that take ten seconds to read out is a handheld mechanical gizmo called a tally tracker, mainly used by people at the door of a venue keeping track of how many have entered. See who is the last to act in a round and click every time that player comes up.
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote