Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #11
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default Re: Anon's Animal Album

What I need is a book of animal templates so I can play them.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:05 AM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
What I need is a book of animal templates so I can play them.
Looking through it briefly, it appears the animal statlines are built using normal GURPS traits, so it shouldn't be too difficult to turn the stats into templates, although you will need to look up the relevant traits to get an appropriate point cost. It would work better if you're coming at it from "I want to play as an intelligent Water Monitor" than "I want to play as an intelligent animal and have up to [50] to spend on a template" (for the former, you just find the Water Monitor statline and turn it into a template; for the latter, you'd have to convert everything in the document into template form with complete costs so you can go "shopping").
Old 07-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #13
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Looking through it briefly, it appears the animal statlines are built using normal GURPS traits, so it shouldn't be too difficult to turn the stats into templates, although you will need to look up the relevant traits to get an appropriate point cost.
I understand, but that defeats half the point of having someone else do it for me. >_0
Old 07-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #14
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
I understand, but that defeats half the point of having someone else do it for me. >_0
Well this includes a good number of animals AND the worked cost for the animal templates in GURPS Basic so might be worth your $$
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...nature-spirits
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:21 PM   #15
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Looking through it briefly, it appears the animal statlines are built using normal GURPS traits, so it shouldn't be too difficult to turn the stats into templates, although you will need to look up the relevant traits to get an appropriate point cost.
A lot of 'irrelevant' traits like age and sleep related ones or perks (e.g. fur) and quirks (e.g. red-green colour-blind) are missing from AAA's stat-blocks. You're probably better using GURPS Animalia for playable templates.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #16
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
A lot of 'irrelevant' traits like age and sleep related ones or perks (e.g. fur) and quirks (e.g. red-green colour-blind) are missing from AAA's stat-blocks. You're probably better using GURPS Animalia for playable templates.
It also does weird things. Like have Foot Manipulators [-6] for some birds when it really should be Extra Arms 2 (Temporary Disadvantage: Legless) (-30%) [14] per the example on B115
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:27 PM   #17
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
It also does weird things. Like have Foot Manipulators [-6] for some birds when it really should be Extra Arms 2 (Temporary Disadvantage: Legless) (-30%) [14] per the example on B115
That sounds about right though. It's not as if it has regular arms.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:08 PM   #18
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
That sounds about right though. It's not as if it has regular arms.
Except B115 actually spells this out via the example under Temporary Disadvantage:

"Example: You can use your feet as hands, but can’t walk while doing so. This is Extra Arms 2 (20 points) with Temporary Disadvantage: Legless (-30%), for 14 points."

This is explained on the GURPSwiki under Quadruped:

"In GURPS, a limb with which you can manipulate objects is an arm, regardless of where it grows or what it looks like." - Basic Set pg 53 under Extra Arms.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:14 AM   #19
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
There is also a Classic Space Bestiary.
For GURPS 3E, there's Bestiary (which varied a lot between the different editions), Fantasy Bestiary, Space Bestiary, and Dinosaurs (which also covers prehistoric mammals).

Stats for other critters are scattered through different sourcebooks like Celtic Myth, Old West, or Vikings.

For 4E, it looks like GURPS Furries comes very close to being an actual Bestiary.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:38 AM   #20
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Except B115 actually spells this out via the example under Temporary Disadvantage:

"Example: You can use your feet as hands, but can’t walk while doing so. This is Extra Arms 2 (20 points) with Temporary Disadvantage: Legless (-30%), for 14 points."

This is explained on the GURPSwiki under Quadruped:

"In GURPS, a limb with which you can manipulate objects is an arm, regardless of where it grows or what it looks like." - Basic Set pg 53 under Extra Arms.
An eagle doesn't have four arms; if you accept this fan-supplement, it has maybe two, both of which are the claws that it walks around on. This applies "Modifying beings with one or two arms" (B53) to come up with Foot Manipulators [-6].
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animals, bestiary, fan made