Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-20-2022, 07:39 AM   #641
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"Right, you can be in two places at once. I think it's enough if you just manage to keep the immortals from doing anything. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes* to complete the fix"

"Wish me luck. The imperial army is launching a full attack on my shrine. One of the last acts of the altered emperor. Or perhaps of his priests. I missed that part. I'll let you know if anything major happens. If you need to contact me, run it through the pen."

Holo-maximus leaves. After about thirty seconds, you hear an explosion at close proximity, knocking down the foam wall. Small bits of it spray against the second wall, one made of steel. 7 minutes of work left.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:38 AM   #642
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Wish me luck. The imperial army is launching a full attack on my shrine. One of the last acts of the altered emperor. Or perhaps of his priests. I missed that part. I'll let you know if anything major happens."
"Hopefully Kunnifax and the Rebels can hold them off for a little while. Huh, sounds like the name of a band; Kunnifax and the Rebels."

Quote:
Holo-maximus leaves. After about thirty seconds, you hear an explosion at close proximity, knocking down the foam wall. Small bits of it spray against the second wall, one made of steel. 7 minutes of work left.
I'll try to estimate how long it will take to blow a hole in V.
Quote:
[397] 22-04-20 17:17:08 BST
Demolitions
3d6 <= 15
3 + 2 + 4 = 9 ... success
Hm... By my back of the envelope calculations, no-one would need more than like 2 pounds of Plastex to blow away the foam wall. Given it will take at least 16 pounds to blow a hole in V, seems like we might only get a couple minutes more. Then again, they might be concerned about trashing the whole inner temple, and look for a different way to punch through...

I share what I learn with V; I know they can't respond, but I suppose they could shift into something else. I'll add, "Hopefully any of this damage doesn't blow off your legs. Or your wings."

And at the same time I'll keep moving these blocks around.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #643
the_matrix_walker

Spoiler:  

Did Vassarious hear any chatter when they were setting up the breaching charges? How big a hole did it create?

If they set a charge on the wall, when they complete their setup, Vassarious will extend a paper-thin surface of anywhere touching the device, and snake it away several yards from the greater wall to minimize damage.

ShapeShifting roll for sheet metal bomb disposal if needed

3d6 <= 14
1 + 2 + 2 = 5 ... success
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #644
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

V having some sensory ability in the wall is acceptable.

The hole blasted in the foam wall is about three feet around... just large enough to get a person through and just small enough to be inconvenient to pass through.

They brush away the remaining foam out of the hole in a matter of seconds, see the steel wall, and there is a good deal of cussing. Someone yells: "This is an attack! this is what is suffocating the emperor!"

People are sticking their head through the hole, looking at the steel wall just a few inches inside. At least one of them appears to be an immortal, and he goes so far as to wack the metal wall with a folding chair (utterly wrecking the chair). Men go to fetch "Plastex, Power Saws, and Rockets"

The immortal pulls out a long steel sword and starts Hacking away at the foam. The sword quickly slices out large chunks of it. V can tell the immortal knows how to use the weapon well.

how big of a gap will V leave between the thin surface and the true wall?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-21-2022, 12:52 PM   #645
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
how big of a gap will V leave between the thin surface and the true wall?
The basic idea is that if they attach something, an extension (an attachment point to extend out, not a limb) or flowing sheet will try and move it 5 to 10 yards out through the process of shapeshifting... if it goes off quickly, they might not get the distance, but may at least foul the angle of a shaped charge or remove the contact explosion element. They are likely not prepared for a surface that can react and shrug off what's been attached.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #646
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
The basic idea is that if they attach something, an extension (an attachment point to extend out, not a limb) or flowing sheet will try and move it 5 to 10 yards out through the process of shapeshifting... if it goes off quickly, they might not get the distance, but may at least foul the angle of a shaped charge or remove the contact explosion element. They are likely not prepared for a surface that can react and shrug off what's been attached.
So instead of moving the "inner wall" back into the working area you're going to move the "outer surface" into the hallway?

The move speed of a transformation is 1 yard/sec. will you be moving the explosives all the way out into the adjacent hallway?

Old 04-22-2022, 11:13 AM   #647
the_matrix_walker

No more than 5 yards. Vassarious is trying to protect his perimeter, but not trying to harm others.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:02 AM   #648
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
No more than 5 yards. Vassarious is trying to protect his perimeter, but not trying to harm others.
You've only got about 1 yard before the explosives potentially harm others around the corner in the hall. Its a 6dx16 explosion, with an estimated 320 points of damage... but only scores 192, and once the distance is factored in, there is no real damage to the wall.

They stick a camera on a stick around the wall, make a small exclamation of disbelief, and call for the bunker-busting rockets.

The whole process of fetching the explosives, placing them, getting clear and detonating took 150 seconds. You have 4.5 minutes left, or 270 seconds.

It takes about 20 seconds for them to bring up the bunk-busting rockets... with what you think is a shaped charge of some sort, maybe 64 mm. Roll a relevant skill if you have a way of actually identifying what the weapon is.

They're taking aim at about 250 seconds remaining.

On a far side, another immortal finishes clearing a hole in the foam with a sword.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #649
TGLS

I flinch slightly at the sound of the explosion. I guess they're OK with blowing up parts of the temple after all.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:26 PM   #650
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
It takes about 20 seconds for them to bring up the bunk-busting rockets... with what you think is a shaped charge of some sort, maybe 64 mm. Roll a relevant skill if you have a way of actually identifying what the weapon is.

They're taking aim at about 250 seconds remaining.

On a far side, another immortal finishes clearing a hole in the foam with a sword.
While they are bringing in the rockets, can Vassarious re/angle the walls to make them farther from the corner so they will need to get almost point-blank to fire a rocket?

V Will put a textured, painted image on the exterior walls with a picture of Maximus putting his hand up as if to order them to stop, hopefully giving them a few moments of pause.

On the interior of the walls, Vassarious paints the text "Use the pen and call Holo-Maximus to see if he can stall! They are about to fire rockets"

(( Shapeshift pictures and angle as applicable

3d6
2 + 5 + 3 = 10 ))