Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-22-2023, 10:05 AM   #461
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The food is wonderful. Perhaps they know how to cook better in the 35th century. Perhaps he's been living off of under-seasoned rice. Perhaps he's just hungry.
Probably all three.

Was half expecting another food network segment

Quote:
We have lots of records on the Carribean, Britain... and even on the british carribean. Just no records of a Port Royale, Rattan.
"Well, that is, I mean, um..."

Quote:
"Actually, we try to. The concordance records the genetics of all its members, and encourages its partner worlds to do so. Its a basic health measurement. Your family must be really isolated to be this divergent.
"I can't say; I never knew my parents."

Quote:
You... were naturally conceived, yes?"
"Well, I obviously wasn't there to take notes, but I doubt I was conceived by IVF."

Quote:
There are books of all sorts and toys for very small children.
I guess if this is the all ages children's waiting room, the older kids would have some kind of smart device to tool around with.

Quote:
He's poking around various corners when he hears something like a scream... no, its all in his head. A mental scream, not an audible one.
I'll be making a will roll.
Quote:
[136] 23-03-22 23:39:54 CET
Will
3d6 <= 11
6 + 3 + 4 = 13 ... failure
On a success:
I look around the room. What could have done that? Maybe it could be somewhere hidden... Maybe it's related to the voice from earlier?

On a failure:
I speak aloud, "What's wrong? Where are you?"

Quote:
OCC: Huh? Hospital food has a bad reputation? since when? since where? My Wife stayed in the hospital just before covid hit, and they had good food.
Well after some cursory research it seems like Hospital food has a bit more of a mixed reputation, most which relate to how institutional food works (i.e. large corporations cheaply producing premade meals at scale). It seems to be changing recently as food quality relates to nutrition, which makes cheap meals a health issue...

Last edited by TGLS; 03-22-2023 at 04:40 PM.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:25 AM   #462
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"Well, that is, I mean, um..."
You're the one who chose to be from an alternate version of earth! proper earth histories are mildly privileged around here!

Quote:
"I can't say; I never knew my parents."

"Well, I obviously wasn't there to take notes, but I doubt I was conceived by IVF."
"But you don't know? IVF. Let me look that up. Oh. You ARE from an old fashioned world. Hmmm. Who raised you?"

Quote:
I guess if this is the all ages children's waiting room, the older kids would have some kind of smart device to tool around with.
Probably chained to the wall by its cord. Ok, you find one of those.
Quote:
I speak aloud, "What's wrong? Where are you?"
The scream only lasts about three seconds.

The others in the waiting area look at Julian, but no one answers.

OCC: Perhaps he should get his head checked.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:56 AM   #463
TGLS

Quote:
You're the one who chose to be from an alternate version of earth! proper earth histories are mildly privileged around here!
Hey, don't blame Julian for the extra confusion I asked for.

Quote:
"But you don't know? IVF. Let me look that up. Oh. You ARE from an old fashioned world. Hmmm. Who raised you?"
"I had carers. I grew up in an orphanage. There were lots of children there."

Quote:
Probably chained to the wall by its cord. Ok, you find one of those.
I figured the older children would have it on their person, thus there's no need to provide them anything, where as little kids probably wouldn't. But given that it's here...

I try to figure this thing out, and search, "Hearing things no one else hears" and "How are mental illnesses diagnosed". Maybe it's more physical in the future, and saying crazy things won't get me declared insane...
Quote:
The scream only lasts about three seconds. The others in the waiting area look at Julian, but no one answers.

OCC: Perhaps he should get his head checked.
I try to play it off.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:54 AM   #464
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"I had carers. I grew up in an orphanage. There were lots of children there."
"Interesting." He notes something down. As he leaves, he gives Julian a card with Julian's face on it. "This is your ID card. Its a temporary identity, keyed to your records."

Quote:

I try to figure this thing out, and search, "Hearing things no one else hears" and "How are mental illnesses diagnosed". Maybe it's more physical in the future, and saying crazy things won't get me declared insane...
The screen seems to be locked to only give things designed for younger children... but its full of medical explanations. Mental illness is very much more physical here, especially when it comes to hallucinations. Most people who report hallucinations that can't be detected are considered to be making things up. There is a small note about Starpus:

"Starpus do speak to Astropics by voices only other Astropics can hear. However, other Astropics will all hear the same voices, and Astropic brain development is well understood and tested for. Astropics find out their indentity via medical tests, not by hearing the Starpus."

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-28-2023, 01:24 PM   #465
TGLS

Quote:
"Interesting." He notes something down. As he leaves, he gives Julian a card with Julian's face on it. "This is your ID card. Its a temporary identity, keyed to your records."
Temporary... Sounds about the same as I feel today.

I have an odd feeling that like the orbital colony executive from Peter's story, the advocate's probably leaning towards thinking Julian's some kind of bioroid too. Possibly more so given the lack of of memories relating to a normal family life.

Quote:
The screen seems to be locked to only give things designed for younger children... but its full of medical explanations. Mental illness is very much more physical here, especially when it comes to hallucinations. Most people who report hallucinations that can't be detected are considered to be making things up.
I guess people still are people and make things up to feel special in any century.

Quote:
There is a small note about Starpus:

"Starpus do speak to Astropics by voices only other Astropics can hear. However, other Astropics will all hear the same voices, and Astropic brain development is well understood and tested for. Astropics find out their identity via medical tests, not by hearing the Starpus."
I pause after reading it... Maybe this is related to being Vasic? I did wake up amongst a bunch of Starpus... I suppose there's nothing to worry about if it's notable enough to be written on the web. Can I look up anything about Astropics? Sticking out has always worked out so well for me before. Maybe I was already tested and it's out of my hands. Can I find out any details about the Astropic test? Did I take it by chance?

Or maybe experiencing falling to his death messed Julian up and he's about to be given the treatment he needs.

Last edited by TGLS; 03-28-2023 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:04 PM   #466
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I have an odd feeling that like the orbital colony executive from Peter's story, the advocate's probably leaning towards thinking Julian's some kind of bioroid too. Possibly more so given the lack of of memories relating to a normal family life.
Yeah, its an interesting parallel response. They're very different people and if you put them in a room together they'd try to remove each other from society permanently, but they have certain similarities in what they think they're dealing with. I'd love to say more, but... that would involve telling secrets about multiple active storylines.

Quote:
I pause after reading it... Maybe this is related to being Vasic? I did wake up amongst a bunch of Starpus... I suppose there's nothing to worry about if it's notable enough to be written on the web. Can I look up anything about Astropics? Sticking out has always worked out so well for me before. Maybe I was already tested and it's out of my hands. Can I find out any details about the Astropic test? Did I take it by chance?
Looking up the details...
  • Astropics can communicate with Starpus mentally
  • Astropics are from the concordance, and around 70% of them work with the concordance or associated shipping
  • The test is genetic: a specific association of genes is involved, and is done when you are born, or when your genetic records are processed by the concordance.

Old 03-29-2023, 05:17 PM   #467
TGLS

Quote:
Yeah, its an interesting parallel response. They're very different people and if you put them in a room together they'd try to remove each other from society permanently,
My imagination jumped to them in a brawl, but I can't say that they seem like the type to go all mano-a-mano.
Quote:
but they have certain similarities in what they think they're dealing with. I'd love to say more, but... that would involve telling secrets about multiple active storylines.
All in good time.

Quote:
  • Astropics can communicate with Starpus mentally
  • Astropics are from the concordance, and around 70% of them work with the concordance or associated shipping
  • The test is genetic: a specific association of genes is involved, and is done when you are born, or when your genetic records are processed by the concordance.
I furrow my brow on the last one. I wonder if that's related to the genetic abnormalities that they mentioned earlier... Or if the genetic abnormalities messed up their test. I check if they tell people if the test comes back positive.

I guess if they didn't say it's probably because it came back negative. I can't imagine that they'd believe me if I said that I was hearing Starpus voices without a test result anyway.

I browse away to something else or close the window entirely, and go find somewhere to sit. I randomly decide to try and reach my thoughts outward. Who screamed?

I feel entirely stupid, add more to my diary, and draw. I decide to draw the crab I saw earlier.

Quote:
[137] 23-03-30 01:16:34 CEST
Artist (Drawing)

3d6 <= 11
3 + 5 + 4 = 12 ... failure
Old 03-30-2023, 08:31 AM   #468
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I browse away to something else or close the window entirely, and go find somewhere to sit. I randomly decide to try and reach my thoughts outward. Who screamed?
There is no response.

Quote:
I feel entirely stupid, add more to my diary, and draw. I decide to draw the crab I saw earlier.
Julian just can't get the shapes and proportions just right... maybe if he saw another one of them, his memory is fuzzy. What did those mouthparts look like? certainly not that...

Three men walk into the room. Two of them are wearing uniforms of some sort. The third looks at Julian. "We're here to pick you up. I'm Mr. Orgel. Lets get you some food and clothing."

Old 03-30-2023, 09:01 AM   #469
TGLS

Quote:
There is no response.
Yup, entirely stupid.
Quote:
Julian just can't get the shapes and proportions just right... maybe if he saw another one of them, his memory is fuzzy. What did those mouthparts look like? certainly not that...
Oh well.

Quote:
Three men walk into the room. Two of them are wearing uniforms of some sort. The third looks at Julian. "We're here to pick you up.
Well this seems like a great deal of effort for one kid. "Don't you think you're taking 'it takes a village to raise a child' a bit too literally here?"
Quote:
I'm Mr. Orgel.
I assume that has a hard g or Julian asks what the alternative to gel is here.
Quote:
Lets get you some food and clothing."
"Sure, let's go."

As I follow along, I ask who the other two men are.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:12 PM   #470
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well this seems like a great deal of effort for one kid. "Don't you think you're taking 'it takes a village to raise a child' a bit too literally here?"
Mr. Orgel: "They're just here to keep you and me honest and make sure we leave the station. They'll even pay for our pod."

Quote:
I assume that has a hard g or Julian asks what the alternative to gel is here.
Quirk: Makes fun of names

Quote:
"Sure, let's go."
The three of them make their way through the station a bit more, getting on another tram, and finally come to a lobby somewhat reminiscent of an airport, except its dirty and worn. The windows don't show a tarmac* outside though: they show a canvas of stars, with a surprising number of painted white space stations in view. Most people aren't looking out the window. They're looking at doors and schedules for departures.

*has Julian ever actually been to an airport?

Tags
lost in dreams