Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-22-2022, 10:32 AM   #771
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
If I got 2 hands on each of them, couldn't I hold the pin with one hand while the other hand dodges? (The third pair of hands is doing the tying)
So you have six hands going, four of which are maintaining a pin on each orc, juggling the cold potatoes while two more hands slowly tie them up...

That works.

give me 20 dodge rolls against each of them, and we'll call it good.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:57 AM   #772
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
So you have six hands going, four of which are maintaining a pin on each orc, juggling the cold potatoes while two more hands slowly tie them up...

That works.

give me 20 dodge rolls against each of them, and we'll call it good.
I have a feeling Halcyone's going to have a bad time.
Quote:
[460] 22-07-22 17:52:46 BST
Dodges
3d6 <= 11
4 + 1 + 1 = 6 ... success
[461] 22-07-22 17:53:12 BST
19x Dodges
3d6 <= 11
1: 5 + 2 + 1 = 8 ... success
2: 6 + 3 + 3 = 12 ... failure
3: 3 + 6 + 1 = 10 ... success
4: 6 + 4 + 1 = 11 ... success
5: 4 + 1 + 6 = 11 ... success
6: 4 + 3 + 4 = 11 ... success
7: 6 + 5 + 3 = 14 ... failure
8: 4 + 5 + 3 = 12 ... failure
9: 1 + 2 + 3 = 6 ... success
10: 4 + 4 + 1 = 9 ... success
11: 4 + 6 + 3 = 13 ... failure
12: 3 + 6 + 2 = 11 ... success
13: 6 + 2 + 5 = 13 ... failure
14: 2 + 5 + 2 = 9 ... success
15: 5 + 5 + 6 = 16 ... failure
16: 2 + 6 + 4 = 12 ... failure
17: 3 + 5 + 6 = 14 ... failure
18: 2 + 3 + 2 = 7 ... success
19: 3 + 2 + 1 = 6 ... success
Wait, 20 for each of them, so that's 20 short.

Quote:
[462] 22-07-22 17:54:34 BST
Another 20
3d6 <= 11
1: 1 + 3 + 5 = 9 ... success
2: 4 + 6 + 3 = 13 ... failure
3: 1 + 3 + 1 = 5 ... success
4: 1 + 4 + 5 = 10 ... success
5: 6 + 3 + 3 = 12 ... failure
6: 2 + 6 + 4 = 12 ... failure
7: 2 + 3 + 6 = 11 ... success
8: 6 + 3 + 1 = 10 ... success
9: 6 + 5 + 4 = 15 ... failure
10: 4 + 3 + 3 = 10 ... success
11: 4 + 1 + 1 = 6 ... success
12: 3 + 2 + 4 = 9 ... success
13: 4 + 4 + 1 = 9 ... success
14: 1 + 1 + 2 = 4 ... success
15: 3 + 6 + 3 = 12 ... failure
16: 3 + 5 + 4 = 12 ... failure
17: 4 + 4 + 5 = 13 ... failure
18: 6 + 6 + 3 = 15 ... failure
19: 2 + 2 + 3 = 7 ... success
20: 2 + 2 + 2 = 6 ... success
OK, so after 3 dodges for one and 2 dodges for another a hand's frozen in place. Do I complete tying them up? Did I bring a knife to cut myself free with?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #773
the_matrix_walker

While the speech proceeds, Vassarious looks about and checks the area for any zealots or even more notably those who look to be "haters" (or would-be assassins of course), any persons of interest who may stand out to them.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:35 AM   #774
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
OK, so after 3 dodges for one and 2 dodges for another a hand's frozen in place. Do I complete tying them up? Did I bring a knife to cut myself free with?
Halcyone gets a hand frozen in place on each one... this doesn't loosen her grip on them, quite to the contrary, it fastens their grip.

Three seconds is hardly enough time to tie them up... but she did bring a knife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
While the speech proceeds, Vassarious looks about and checks the area for any zealots or even more notably those who look to be "haters" (or would-be assassins of course), any persons of interest who may stand out to them.
secret roll made...

Vassarious notices a few people who might mean "trouble", one way or another. A half dozen knight shamans are standing in pairs coolly to the side, but listening. They are probably there to stop things if they get out of hand or to throw ill-considered words back at Uglin.

A lot of people have a utility knife on their person, but sprinkled in the crowd, especially towards the front, there are more swords. There are about five people who start all the hurrahs, but while four of them seem to be synchronized with Uglin, a fifth seems to be acting on his own, abstaining from some and starting cheers in places Uglin did not expect. The placement of his cheers suggest a greater acceptance of a violent resolution than the other four.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 07-25-2022, 10:58 AM   #775
TGLS

Quote:
Halcyone gets a hand frozen in place on each one... this doesn't loosen her grip on them, quite to the contrary, it fastens their grip.
I don't suppose I can finish tying them up like this.

Quote:
Three seconds is hardly enough time to tie them up... but she did bring a knife.
Pretty quick with those spells. I'll try to cut myself free from both (ideally simultaneously, but holding the rope or only having one knife might get in the way of that.)

Quote:
[463] 22-07-25 17:57:51 BST
Knife
3d6 <= 14
1: 3 + 3 + 6 = 12 ... success
2: 5 + 6 + 3 = 14 ... success
Old 07-25-2022, 03:14 PM   #776
the_matrix_walker

As the speech concludes, Vassarious shadows the extremist who showed the more violent tendencies and prepares to check in with Halcyone...

((Was the plan to meet up after the speech to go over the analysis?

I will hold at this point until you guys catch up with the combat shenanigans))
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:52 AM   #777
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I don't suppose I can finish tying them up like this.

Pretty quick with those spells. I'll try to cut myself free from both (ideally simultaneously, but holding the rope or only having one knife might get in the way of that.)
Yes, the attacks are pretty fast, and yes, these foes are fairly powerful. They're low tech on a world without many people, but this world has a fairly high power level, and you're literally attacking the key to the greatest threat in the world they know about. "Knight-Shaman" does not mean "mook-level soldier".

Go ahead and roll damage for the knife attacks. You may also need to roll fast-draw to get the knife out. Remember you've got three "attacks" per round.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:30 AM   #778
TGLS

Quote:
Yes, the attacks are pretty fast, and yes, these foes are fairly powerful. They're low tech on a world without many people, but this world has a fairly high power level, and you're literally attacking the key to the greatest threat in the world they know about. "Knight-Shaman" does not mean "mook-level soldier".
Oh, I just figured they'd be a bit slower than once every second. Given Basic suggests a minute to tie someone up, I figured they'd take three seconds to freeze.

Quote:
Go ahead and roll damage for the knife
Quote:
[464] 22-07-26 17:26:40 BST

Knife Damage

3d6 -2
1: 4 + 5 + 2 - 2 = 9
2: 6 + 2 + 2 - 2 = 8

sum: 17, average: 8.50
Not sure if that cuts through in time. Surely they calibrated how thick to make the ice to how strong their opponent is.

Quote:
You may also need to roll fast-draw to get the knife out. Remember you've got three "attacks" per round.
Well I don't have fast draw so I can't do that. And even with three attacks per round, I still have to use different arms to attack with. I guess I could use some of my foot manipulators to help tie them up, though I'd drop prone doing that.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:32 AM   #779
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Oh, I just figured they'd be a bit slower than once every second. Given Basic suggests a minute to tie someone up, I figured they'd take three seconds to freeze.
No math error was made by either individual. The reason for 20 remains a mystery. Mysterious GM cackle.

Quote:
Not sure if that cuts through in time. Surely they calibrated how thick to make the ice to how strong their opponent is.
It does not, but it lets you know that the ice is coming down with ST 10. That means its got DR 3. You've done enough damage to free one hand.

Quote:
Well I don't have fast draw so I can't do that. And even with three attacks per round, I still have to use different arms to attack with. I guess I could use some of my foot manipulators to help tie them up, though I'd drop prone doing that.
For some reason I always forget that people pinning are already prone...

Old 07-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #780
TGLS

Quote:
No math error was made by either individual. The reason for 20 remains a mystery. Mysterious GM cackle.
Next magic world Halcyone goes to I'm looking up how the local magic works.

Quote:
It does not, but it lets you know that the ice is coming down with ST 10. That means its got DR 3. You've done enough damage to free one hand.

For some reason I always forget that people pinning are already prone...
Right. I'll use my leg arms to continue with the tying while I chip away at the frozen arm with my other two arms.
Quote:
[465] 22-07-27 16:49:57 BST
Knife Attacks
3d6 <= 14
1: 5 + 3 + 2 = 10 ... success
2: 4 + 3 + 3 = 10 ... success
[466] 22-07-27 16:50:33 BST
Knife Damage
3d6 -2
1: 3 + 5 + 1 - 2 = 7
2: 6 + 5 + 4 - 2 = 13
sum: 20, average: 10.00
Guess that frees the other arm. I guess there's more dodge rolls. Assuming it just continues from the previous 40 rolled, that means I've got more chipping to do after dodge pair 5, 6, 8, 9 (x2), 12, 14, 15, 16 (x2), 17 (x2), & 18 (x2). That makes 14 more arms to chip out (28 attack rolls, 28 damage rolls?)