Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-11-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
Refplace

Default Using the Kusari

So I have wanted to try out a Kusari in GURPS for quite awhile and will be doing so in a game shortly. Its a high powered Wuxia game with magic so unrealistic options are readily available. Nonethless this seems like a very poor choice in weapons. It does have intriguing ideas though and I'm looking for feedback and ideas, or corrections on the rules if I misinterpreted any.

Defensively
Kusari is -2U so is very poor at parrying and takes two hands so you cant use a shield or other weapon to parry. It gets only one parry a turn and that's at a penalty. After that its Unready and must be readied before another parry or attack. Its also Unready after an attack, leaving you unable to parry.
No symbol indicating high ST can let you ready it faster,though with min ST 11 that would need to be really high anyhow.
A Wuxia campaign will include a lot of opponents with multiple attacks so only one parry is a huge disadvantage.

Offensively
Here things get interesting and if you can survive might make up for the weak defense.
Fencing weapons can't parry it at all and other weapons are at -4 to parry or -2 to block. So your more likely to land an attack.
On the other hand I am unclear on if you can get multiple attacks using Rapid Strike or Extra Attack. A Whip clearly specifies the need to Ready after attacking, though a Kusari is similar to a whip it is not called out.
Watching movies with flails like nunchucks and three sectioned staves I think it does not need to be readied and can make multiple attacks.
Is drawing it back harder and taking longer than the same motion with an axe or sword?

Disarming
This requires GURPS Martial Arts pp. 100-101 to consider Beats.
You can attack to Disarm, Beat, or Feint (Feint does not unready a weapon).
  • If the fighter parried on the prior turn they can attempt a Beat against the weapon they defended against. Technically you cant do that with a kusari as its unready after a parry and has to be ready to do a Feint. I think its reasonable to ignore that in this case and consider it ready for this specific purpose.
  • If the fighter attacked this turn or the prior turn and was blocked or parried he can attempt a Beat this turn against that item by targeting it.
    This is an exception to Beat in that it does not require a Feint maneuver.
  • If the fighter has his opponent grappled (say with Entangle) he can target the opponents Dodge or unarmed guard.
  • Striking to Disarm is very hard (see pp. B400-401) but there is a Technique for it and if successful can be a fight ender. If they parried the strike to disarm they set themselves up for a possible Beat on the next turn.

Tactics
A single fighter against faster, higher skilled, or multiple opponents is at a severe disadvantage. However Beats and Entangles can leave an opponent open to his companions attacks as it lowers his Parry, Block, or Dodge vs. everyone. So a kusari wielder is most effective working with a team.

Your going to attack less often, but your attacks are harder to parry or block, though dodge is unaffected.
Beats and disarms can be effective, and a kusari is more effective at them overall. On the other hand most weapons can still attempt it.
Dual-Weapon Attack is allowed and referenced under Kusarijutsu in GURPS Martial Arts.
Kusari's have one of the longest and most flexible reach options, allowing you to try and attack outside your opponents range, especially if you have higher mobility.

Edited to add > Adding a combo weapon such as a Jitte/Sai to one end can give extra parries
Summary
To be most effective with a Kusari you want high ST and Basic Move, Extra Attack with the Ready option (either a modifier or House Rule), and to be effective at Dodge or withstanding hits.
  • Does a Kusari need to be Readied after an attack?
  • I think Entangle is usable against a weapon or shield, not just the body. Extra penalties to hit it though as per Attacking a Weapon, True?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 05-11-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: Using the Kusari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
  • Does a Kusari need to be Readied after an attack?
  • I think Entangle is usable against a weapon or shield, not just the body. Extra penalties to hit it though as per Attacking a Weapon, True?
p.406 of Campaigns lists Kusari as a subset of Whips, so I certainly read them as needing time to ready, the same as other whips: one turn to ready a two-yard whip, two turns to ready a three-yard or longer one.

Entangle, from the description in the whip entry and the technique description on MA71 is to entangle a foe; I believe to entangle a weapon or shield would be a Disarming attempt (as per Knocking a Weapon Away).
Old 05-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
Hide

What's up!

If it's going to be wuxia, I wouldn't mind allowing a "quick-ready" maneuver for the kusari. Reminiscent of GURPS - Gun Fu, this would be a fast-draw -3 and then your attack at -6 (rapid strike) plus your bonuses.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
Varyon

A kusari probably needs something attached to the base - a kama (kusarigama) is traditional, but as you note a sai or jutte could also work (or use the rules from LTC2 and attach it to a Thrusting Broadsword that itself has prongs for more options, go wild). As described on MA180, this should allow you to attack with the kusari and retain the ability to Parry with the attached weapon, so long as you are wielding the combination with both hands. As for needing to Ready after each attack, I think that should only apply when using the kusari at Reach 2+; if you keep it short enough to use at Reach 1, you should be able to attack with impunity (it's still Parry U, so you can't Parry with it, but at -2 that's not a great idea anyway; use the attached weapon). A Technique to consider for your character is Return Strike (MA78), which can function as an attack from behind if your opponent isn't used to it (and basically like a runaround attack otherwise). You can use this to damage the foe (regardless of how it's treated defensively, it actually strikes the foe in the back, which means you content with back DR, and optionally are at only -5 to strike the Skull and can target the Spine), or as a way to impose penalties to avoid getting entangled by it.

If your GM allows it, you may want to consider something like Extra Ready - or maybe even convince him to let you have a Perk to apply Fast-Draw (Flexible) to re-Ready a kusari you've attacked with (this would allow an instant Ready if you attacked at Reach 2, a 1-turn Ready if you attacked at Reach 3+). Attaching a kama or similar has the drawback of requiring you to invest in another weapon skill, but seeing as you're in a cinematic campaign, it may be acceptable for you to take Weapon Adaptation to use whatever is attached to your kusari with Kusari skill (normally this wouldn't be allowed, as kusari lacks a default with the sorts of weapons that would be attached, but I think restricting it to a weapon that is attached to a kusari balances that out). Reach Mastery may be another worthwhile Perk, as it lets you instantly adjust the Reach of the kusari portion of the weapon (rather than needing to burn a Ready to do so).

If you can't manage a decent Parry, investing in Dodge and/or some good armor may be your best bet to stay alive. On the other hand, if you're expecting to go up against mooks, see if you GM would allow you to take Whirlwind Attack for your kusari - sure, it removes your ability to defend for a round, but combined with Reach Mastery means you could strike every single foe within 4 yards (!) at once, which would just be all sorts of impressive.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
Balor Patch

Quote:
It gets only one parry a turn and that's at a penalty. After that its Unready and must be readied before another parry or attack.
Where does it indicate that it's unready after a parry?

Quote:
No symbol indicating high ST can let you ready it faster,though with min ST 11 that would need to be really high anyhow.
Probable errata: While the skill description in Basic and DFRPG and the Kusari building notes in LT say it's two-handed the weapon tables don't agree.

Quote:
On the other hand I am unclear on if you can get multiple attacks using Rapid Strike or Extra Attack. A Whip clearly specifies the need to Ready after attacking, though a Kusari is similar to a whip it is not called out.
My reading of Basic is that, while the text arrangement makes it ambiguous,
"A whip can be up to seven yards long – but note that a whip two yards or more in length cannot strike at one yard or closer, and is slow to ready after an attack" is talking only about the basic whip. DFRPG throws that sentence out entirely.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #6
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Where does it indicate that it's unready after a parry?
In its Parry stat of '-2U'.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
In its Parry stat of '-2U'.
Parry U (with or without the -2) simply means the weapon is Unbalanced, and cannot be used to both attack and Parry in the same turn (at least, not without a Defensive Attack or similar option that lets you retain Parry). Weapons that become Unready after an attack (and maybe Parry, although I don't recall that being the case) are typically marked with ‡, meaning they are two handed and become Unready after an attack unless you have at least 1.5xMinST. Kusari becoming Unready after an attack is a specific effect of being a whip-class weapon, although I don't think it's ever definitively stated if the general rules for that class apply to kusari (as the rules are explained before getting into the subclasses - which includes normal whips - and kusari isn't explicitly given an out, I assume the bit about requiring Readies after an attack at Reach 2+ applies to kusari weapons).
Old 05-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
S
Offensively
Here things get interesting T]
You seem to have paid no attention to the Reach 4 of the kusari. That's what I find most interesting. Of course it's also the most portable of Reach weapons.

For maximum effect get the Reach Mastery Perk and you'l be able to change that Reach without a ready action. Also get your Kusari Enchnted with Quick Draw and avoid those "Unready after a Parry" incidents that you otherwise have to avoid by never using your Kusari to Parry with. Of course, at Reach 4 Parrying comes up a lot less.

Wuxia fighters need to be able to Dodge fantastically anyway.

For the piece de resistance get the Lightning Weapon Enchantment. The damage bonus is smallish but the "shock" value of such a gaudy weapon is high. :)

It's not a weapon for when a brawl suddenly breaks out in a crowded tavern ......unless of course you are an absolute Master! You didn't want to carry a kusari without being an absolute Master anyway did you?
Old 05-12-2020, 03:34 AM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
p.406 of Campaigns lists Kusari as a subset of Whips, so I certainly read them as needing time to ready, the same as other whips: one turn to ready a two-yard whip, two turns to ready a three-yard or longer one.

Entangle, from the description in the whip entry and the technique description on MA71 is to entangle a foe; I believe to entangle a weapon or shield would be a Disarming attempt (as per Knocking a Weapon Away).
I've never used a kusari but used to be part of a local sport whips club and I see that Ready time based on reach as appropriate for a whip which is designed to be used from the handle (even if the handle is part of the whip like with a snakewhip) but that a kusari could be yanked back and pulled short with the other hand to quickly adjust reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
What's up!

If it's going to be wuxia, I wouldn't mind allowing a "quick-ready" maneuver for the kusari. Reminiscent of GURPS - Gun Fu, this would be a fast-draw -3 and then your attack at -6 (rapid strike) plus your bonuses.
The GM is allowing a Fast-Draw (flexible weapon) roll at a penalty to be used and a technique to buy that off.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
A Technique to consider for your character is Return Strike (MA78), which can function as an attack from behind if your opponent isn't used to it (and basically like a runaround attack otherwise).
I'm adapting the Kusarijutsu style which includes Return Strike. Interestingly enough, it does not mention the Reach Mastery perk.
Also thanks for the Fast-Draw suggestion and in writing up the style I will be mentioning the advantage of extra Ready maneuvers, such as with Extra Attack and the modifier for it and a very limited ATR if thats not allowed.
Also going to float the idea of using Rapid Strike for extra Readies, so -6 (-3 with TBaM or Weapon Master) to ready it again after use. Effectively you can Rapid Strike but at half the number of attacks available with a more balanced weapon.
See this video clip for a couple of related techniques.
Now its a little easier of you dont hit something and definitely not doable if you Entangle or wrap the whip but if you crack it then pull back and strike again...

Quote:
On the other hand, if you're expecting to go up against mooks, see if you GM would allow you to take Whirlwind Attack for your kusari - sure, it removes your ability to defend for a round, but combined with Reach Mastery means you could strike every single foe within 4 yards (!) at once, which would just be all sorts of impressive.
I thought about a Whirlwind Attack before but dismissed the idea. You've gotten me to try running it by him though,especially after watching the video. I dont often think of Four Corners since I cant do it myself.

Quote:
Parry U (with or without the -2) simply means the weapon is Unbalanced, and cannot be used to both attack and Parry in the same turn (at least, not without a Defensive Attack or similar option that lets you retain Parry). Weapons that become Unready after an attack (and maybe Parry, although I don't recall that being the case) are typically marked with ‡, meaning they are two handed and become Unready after an attack unless you have at least 1.5xMinST. Kusari becoming Unready after an attack is a specific effect of being a whip-class weapon, although I don't think it's ever definitively stated if the general rules for that class apply to kusari (as the rules are explained before getting into the subclasses - which includes normal whips - and kusari isn't explicitly given an out, I assume the bit about requiring Readies after an attack at Reach 2+ applies to kusari weapons).
Quoting p. B383 Readying a weapon. You can only attack or parry with a weapon that is
in your hand and ready to use. You must “ready” some weapons again after each attack!

On the same page it mentions the ST with the symbol unlike as you point out the table in Basic.
So I think I'll consider the table in Basic errata since its disputed by two later sources and run with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You seem to have paid no attention to the Reach 4 of the kusari. That's what I find most interesting. Of course it's also the most portable of Reach weapons.
Last sentence under tactics :) Yeah, its pretty much the longest reach weapon in Basic, except for some whips. As you say also far more portable and convenient to carry than most pole arms too.
The Reach Mastery perk I knew about but was unable to find since I had forgotten its name. Definitely added. In this case it will have an enchantment but I want to factor several things into account, after all what if he has to use a normal unenchanted one?

Quote:

For the piece de resistance get the Lightning Weapon Enchantment. The damage bonus is smallish but the "shock" value of such a gaudy weapon is high. :)

It's not a weapon for when a brawl suddenly breaks out in a crowded tavern ......unless of course you are an absolute Master! You didn't want to carry a kusari without being an absolute Master anyway did you?
Dodge 13 but I really want to be able to use a parry to disarm. It can do a lightning attack, which is great when you have someone entangled.
And yeah Master was the eventual goal.
Also though my Dwarves in Chalice World have two styles that use Kusari
Thunder and Lightning
Silver Guard

And I want to see if I can apply ideas here to make them more capable in combat.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:55 AM   #10
Tomsdad

Quote:

For maximum effect get the Reach Mastery Perk and you'l be able to change that Reach without a ready action. Also get your Kusari Enchnted with Quick Draw and avoid those "Unready after a Parry" incidents that you otherwise have to avoid by never using your Kusari to Parry with. Of course, at Reach 4 Parrying comes up a lot less.

Big problem with all that reach is that you need to take ready actions after attacking at that reach (pg406). A kusari attacking at reach 4 needs two ready actions to go again. Plenty of time to close the distance, and if nothing else force another ready action to adjust to the new reach needed.

Yeah you can shave off some time with the right perks but not all of them I don't think?*. Plus it's DXhard weapon skill so you already spending more CP on top of those perks to be good with it.

I think you basically spend a lot of time and/or CPs keeping this thing under control.

I think it has value as a surprise disarm/entangle against the unwary foe. but once you in a fight it's not great.

(plus if you whirling this thing around to hit at reach 4, I am going to take that into account for the other people standing within 4 hexes of you!)

*if I was running some Wuxia game and trying to make this thing competitive i likely have some perk that allowed faster readying at longer reaches.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 05-13-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote