Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Noven

Default Infinite Worlds question

I only have the basic set for information on Infinite Worlds as a setting, but I was looking over my copy of Britannica 6 and it seems that the setting takes place in the late 1800's while the setting of the basic set is in 2027. How does this work from a time setting? I was told that 2027 on homeline is 2027 in other worlds.
Noven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Infinite Worlds question

You were told wrong. In fact it's exactly the other way around. Almost all of the worlds are in an earlier year when the world is close enough for that to be meaningful. Infinite Worlds originated as a way to do time travel without a hint of paradox so there are lots of pasts and alternate pasts to visit.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noven
I only have the basic set for information on Infinite Worlds as a setting, but I was looking over my copy of Britannica 6 and it seems that the setting takes place in the late 1800's while the setting of the basic set is in 2027. How does this work from a time setting? I was told that 2027 on homeline is 2027 in other worlds.
No, you've misinterpreted an important point. The date is 2027 _only_ on Homeline, Centrum and one or two other exceptions.

On all other timelines known to Infinity the date is earlier than 2027 and sometimes much earlier.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Noven

So none beyond 2027?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
So none beyond 2027?
Not in the official setting...so far. Although of course there are a number of worlds which are more technologically advanced anyway for that science fiction goodness.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
Frost

Quote:
So none beyond 2027?
I don't have my book to hand to check but from what I remember the default line is no, the date on homeline is the latest possible time on any world encountered so far (or that will be encountered).

This is something that has been present in the setting since it first appeared and likely to remain that way in cannon sources (such as they are, this is GURPS we are talking about).
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
Not in the official setting...so far. Although of course there are a number of worlds which are more technologically advanced anyway for that science fiction goodness.
And Blip, barring some catastophe, should pass the relative "now" of Homeline at some point.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
So none beyond 2027?
No, and Homeline and Centrum base important parachronic theories on this "fact".

By their theories any world they can reach should be at an earlier date unless it's capable of parachronics itself. This is what makes Homeline nervous about Shikaku-mon, one of the exception worlds which is at 2027 and already has other forms of advanced technology.

As other's have said there are worlds with advanced tech beyond Homeline but they have earlier dates. Caliph, a sort of Arabian Nights with Ultra-Tech place has antigravity flying carpets even though the equivalent date is before 1000 AD.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Noven

Someone should do a IW timeline for the Kings TV show that is out, and probably will be canceled =).
Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Someone should do a IW timeline for the Kings TV show that is out, and probably will be canceled =).
Already has been, and that would be a challenge since it's a world that never had a Jesus or a North America as we know it but did have a Liszt.

Tags
infinite worlds