Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2021, 03:21 PM   #11
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: Clarification on "Hitting the Wrong Target" rules

To be perfectly honest, more than anything, I'm just a bit salty about getting insta-killed by friendly fire in a session yesterday. It didn't really make intuitive or mechanical sense to me at first, but after reading the other responses ITT, it's reasonable enough. I'm still not sure I'd personally rule that way, regardless, but I can see the reasoning.
awesomenessofme1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
To be perfectly honest, more than anything, I'm just a bit salty about getting insta-killed by friendly fire in a session yesterday. It didn't really make intuitive or mechanical sense to me at first, but after reading the other responses ITT, it's reasonable enough. I'm still not sure I'd personally rule that way, regardless, but I can see the reasoning.
You might have words with the 'friendly' shooter about not using your character as a backstop...
Old 07-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #13
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You might have words with the 'friendly' shooter about not using your character as a backstop...
It was the final session of a mini-campaign and we all ended up dying anyway. So no real skin off my back.
awesomenessofme1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:17 PM   #14
Plane

I guess if we want to avoid hitting targets beyond the intended on a miss/dodge then you'd need some adjustible max like having Selectivity to disable your Enhanced range?

Perhaps that ought to be a benefit of "Overhead" attacks too, since presumably if something like that misses it should hit the ground below your target rather than something behind them...
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:31 PM   #15
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
To be perfectly honest, more than anything, I'm just a bit salty about getting insta-killed by friendly fire (...)
I know how you feel. In the future you could take a "battle drill perk". There is one to ignore "Hitting the Wrong Target" in Tactical Shooting p. 37.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

It's the latter.

Tonight one of my players in my demigods campaign missed the target she was aiming for and hit another target with a critical success (a 4 on 9 or less) and then rolled the skull for the hit location which was one of two ways to kill a demigod. Oh, and the player maxed the damage to the skull. It was pretty epic.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I guess if we want to avoid hitting targets beyond the intended on a miss/dodge then you'd need some adjustible max like having Selectivity to disable your Enhanced range?
There's a Perk in Gun Fu that prevents this sort of thing. I believe it is called "No Friendly Fire". It is of course Cinematic.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #18
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
I know how you feel. In the future you could take a "battle drill perk". There is one to ignore "Hitting the Wrong Target" in Tactical Shooting p. 37.
Yipes, never paid much attention to that until now...

MA52's Teamwork wasn't quite as flexible since it required everyone to have the perk (Battle Drills only requires the leader to have it, others can make a Soldier/Tactics roll once per second burning Ready maneuvers until it works)

TW also required specialization by either 'style' or 'small group' (ie may need to be taken multiple times) whereas Battle Drills can just be taken once and you can just get free 'familiarity' after 20 hours of training.

I'm actually wondering if bullet one is a bit of overkill... you're already less likely to hit allies by mistake due to halving of Firing Through an Occupied Hex penalties, which is similar to Teamwork's ignoring of Attacking Into a Close Combat penalties...

Both of them also seem to have a kind of "bonus physical movement" aspect: Teamwork gets "brace as a free action" (counter slam/shove/knockback against ally in front of you) while Teamwork gets an extra Movement Point to take an ally's previous position...

If I have Move 5 and am taking Ranged Move and Attack and keeping eyes forward to shoot at foes whilst side-strafing or walking backwards to maintain range... normally I can't move any faster than 2/ys without turning... but if some ally was previously standing beside/behind me then I can sidestep/withdraw at 3 y/s ?

I get the part about ignoring the extra movement point it costs to move through an occupied hex if that hex is occupied by an ally, but actually moving faster than if the hex was empty gets into cinematic territory...

Maybe recently-exited hexes should count as occupied until the exiters next turn (costs extra movement point to go through, as if still avoiding them) and Battle Drills could ignore that?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote