Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Doctor Thantos

Default Item Powering Abilities -Regenerating Energy Reserve.

I am looking at providing a continuous Energy Reserve for an item to use abilities. It is in a high powered campaign, and the player needs to spend FP to use various sword powers (ie. Imbuements) each round

Sword Power 5 – 34 Points See below
Creates a recharging pool of 5 FP for use with sword every second.
Energy Reserve 5 (Sword) -10% Abilities Only, -10% Divine, -10% Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Thief must win a Quick Contest of DX or ST, -30% Gadget/Unique, -25% = 4 points (This is the base power pool)
Regeneration - Extreme -10 HP per Second (Energy Reserve Only, +0% - Changes HP recovery into Fatigue Recovery) Costs Fatigue, -25% -Costs 5 FP – reduction from 10FP per round recovery to 5FP per round recovery) Divine, -10%, Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Thief must win a Quick Contest of DX or ST, -30%
Gadget/Unique, -25% = 30 points. (53 points if no reduction for the very fast regeneration 5)

Does this look right? Thoughts?
Doctor Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Item Powering Abilities -Regenerating Energy Reserve.

I think having to spend FP to power the regeneration makes it switchable and thus takes a free action or even ready maneuver.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Doctor Thantos

My intent was to reduce the extreme regeneration of the FP to 5 down from 10 points per second and not to require activation to "power". I didn't want extra Energy Reserve recovery, the player would want to increase the pool....

I want the item to have 5 FP per round available.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
zoncxs

better to make it 1FP per second, it makes the player have to plan his moves. (should I use it now? or should a wait a few seconds to recover some more?)
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
kirbwarrior

If it's a high powered campaign, many (some can't) imbuements can be made into other traits (such as Innate Attack) where you can take off the FP cost.

If you do want to use them, remember high skill can kick FP costs off. As for this trait, does it cost 5FP to regain 10ER? Or am I just misreading it?

The trait looks fair, but I'd probably also give them some incredible sword damage with it (like a substantial IA built as a sword, or just rule the sword is awesome). That downside is quite the downside.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Sunrunners_Fire

For Imbuements, its' easy:

"Sword Power" [10]
  • Imbuement Talent 5 (Accessibility (Fatigue Cost Reduction Only), -80%) [10]
    Features / Notes: Doesn't count against maximum talent levels (if any). Removes the fatigue cost for any use of an Imbuement Skill that isn't a critical failure; critical failures continue to cost the character 2 FP as per normal.

... works for the standard magic system as well. Same point cost even, just replace "Imbuement Talent" with "Magery" and change the features/notes as appropriate; make it leveled (at [10] per level) and it'll reduce the energy cost by 1 per level for your bigger spells.

------

But, no, the way you've built that Regeneration isn't RAW-compatible and isn't going to play nicely with what I understand of your intent.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Doctor Thantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post

But, no, the way you've built that Regeneration isn't RAW-compatible and isn't going to play nicely with what I understand of your intent.
RAW Compatible? What is that?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Thantos View Post
RAW Compatible? What is that?
Sorry. "Not compatible with the rules as written." Basically, it means either you don't understand what those modifiers mean or that you're using house-rules which have changed what those modifiers mean.

------

Costs Fatigue Points 5, -25% ... does not do what you want it to do. Costs Fatigue Points 5 means that the character must take a Ready Maneuver and spend 5 of its' own Fatigue Points to activate the Regeneration (Extreme; ER Only) for 1 minute.

------

A modifier that does what you appear to want would not be valued at -25%.

Regeneration (Very Fast; Energy Reserve Only) is [100]. So 1 ER/second is [100].
Regeneration (Extreme; Energy Reserve Only) is [150]. So 10 ER/second is [150].

You appear to want a value (5 ER/second) between Regen (VF; ER Only) and Regen (E; ER Only).

There is no RAW ("rules as written") method of attaining that result. So we're stuck with custom modifiers and/or house-rules. 'kay.

Using your modifier, (150*(1-.25) = 112.5), you are valuing the 5/second recovery at 112.5 points ... the ability to regenerate 5/second is worth more than 112.5 points given that 1/second costs 100 and 10/second costs 150. Eyeballing it, (150-100 = 40. 40/9 = 5.5~. 5.5~*5 = 27.7~), it should be worth 127.7~ points ... which is roughly a -15% limitation (-14.8%).

Personally, I wouldn't do what you're describing this way, but if I was, I'd be using the -15% value for that limitation rather than the -25% value you appear to be using.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Costs Fatigue Points 5, -25% ... does not do what you want it to do. Costs Fatigue Points 5 means that the character must take a Ready Maneuver and spend 5 of its' own Fatigue Points to activate the Regeneration (Extreme; ER Only) for 1 minute.
Is that actually true? Not until recently did I hear that it take a ready maneuver to pay FP. I thought you just chose to. Isn't that true on traits that cost FP per second?
Quote:
Using your modifier, (150*(1-.25) = 112.5), you are valuing the 5/second recovery at 112.5 points ... the ability to regenerate 5/second is worth more than 112.5 points given that 1/second costs 100 and 10/second costs 150. Eyeballing it, (150-100 = 40. 40/9 = 5.5~. 5.5~*5 = 27.7~), it should be worth 127.7~ points ... which is roughly a -15% limitation (-14.8%).

Personally, I wouldn't do what you're describing this way, but if I was, I'd be using the -15% value for that limitation rather than the -25% value you appear to be using.
I'm not sure where you math is coming from, but it sounds about right. I'd just make it a new trait about worth [130] and have modifiers affect that number.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Is that actually true? Not until recently did I hear that it take a ready maneuver to pay FP. I thought you just chose to. Isn't that true on traits that cost FP per second?
Per Turning Advantages Off And On (GURPS Basic Set, pg 34), an advantage that isn't always on is considered to be switchable. An advantage which is classified as an attack requires an Attack Maneuver to be turned on. An advantage which isn't classified as an attack requires a Ready Maneuver to be turned on. Any exceptions to this must be explicitly called out as an exception.

Costs Fatigue does not explicitly call itself out as an exception.

So: Regeneration w/ Costs Fatigue is (a) not always on and (b) not an attack, and thereby it requires a Ready Maneuver to turn on.

Tags
energy reserve, item power, regeneration