Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-24-2021, 02:41 PM   #11
The Colonel

Default Re: You All Meet at an Inn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I would generally have zero issues with this. I typically prefer to interpret angels/celestials/etc as taking a more "hands-off" approach to mortals, while demons/infernals/etc are bigger on interfering, which is why I'd be inclined to have the latter as the proprietor, but given the proprietor is an atypical example (going for neutrality), having a partner (business and possibly romantic) who is similarly atypical (not having an issue with this sort of interference) is well within reason.
For those who have taken an interest in the career of Mr Harry Dresden, Mac says "Hmph!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcallistan View Post
Like this a lot!

Would work well in the UK, at almost any time, as well.

You can always tell the personalities of the patrons of a pub by how they run Quiz Night...
You could run with the "almost any time" as well, with one of those pubs where you are never quite sure what year it is... might make the quiz a bit weird mind you.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:01 AM   #12
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Now you're making me think of miscegenating the Keep on The Borderlands and New Pavis...
Speaking of RuneQuest and inns, I'm reminded of bad wine, mumbly-peg played between the spread out fingers of a hand, and a whole lot of trouble called Grisilda...

Oh, and bowls of fish stew.

Last edited by Luke Bunyip; 07-25-2021 at 07:26 AM.
Luke Bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #13
sgtcallistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
snip
You could run with the "almost any time" as well, with one of those pubs where you are never quite sure what year it is... might make the quiz a bit weird mind you.
Yep. How the quiz night brings out discrepancies could even be why the place is where it is... ooOOOoo...
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #14
SionEwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
A little place on Route 25A in Suffolk County, Long Island, NY. It is marked by a single sign and is set back from the road far enough to be easily missed. Bar, piano, stay for Punday Nights and Tall Tale Tuesdays.
Good old Callahan's.
SionEwig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:29 AM   #15
jason taylor

Quote:
A little place on Route 25A in Suffolk County, Long Island, NY. It is marked by a single sign and is set back from the road far enough to be easily missed. Bar, piano, stay for Punday Nights and Tall Tale Tuesdays.
Can I go to your place after I have visited mine?
Old 07-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #16
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by SionEwig View Post
Good old Callahan's.
Give that poster a kewpie doll!
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:37 PM   #17
SionEwig

Quote:
Give that poster a kewpie doll!
Not just a series of books by Spider Robinson, but also a rather fun Gurps 3rd Ed. setting book.
SionEwig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #18
Johan Larson

It's known as the Guild-Hall, which is two lies for the price of one, since there's no guild and no hall. It's actually an old warehouse that serves as a clearing-house for employers and workers, both skilled and unskilled. The furnishings are spartan, but it's a big place. It can hold several hundred people if there are a lot of people looking for work and they stand close, which they sometimes do. The barkeep can accommodate a variety of tastes; there's cheap ale and standing room for a bit, good ale and a stool for a bit more, and really rather good wine served at a proper table with chairs for still more.

It can get a bit noisy, so when the employers stand on the platform to announce the jobs they are hiring for, they really need to speak up. By tradition, the most highly skilled jobs are announced early in the morning, and progressively less skilled jobs as the day wears on, so the crowd tends to get rougher late in the day.
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #19
Black Leviathan

We don't meet at Inns, but we wait there while the party is running around town in different directions.

The adventurer's inn is drafty and dark, a lamp at the bar, one near the little stage and the fireplace that's rarely stoked up beyond coals. Stone floors, super-heavy wood rafters, dirty curtains on the windows. It's small, just three tables and the bench, folks sit on the stage when nobody's performing. You gotta squeeze past people coming and going. If you want privacy or comfort you have to spring for the private room and the bartender has to move all the boxes they were storing in there. The Bar sturdy, built out of something that used to be something else, a ship prow, or a row of kegs. No bar stools, bar drinking if for men who need to get home, not for loitering. There are rules posted on the wall so nobody can say they didn't know.
The beer's not great but the ale is decent, or vise-versa depending on the town. What really brings folks in is the special, it's greasy and full of fat, comes with a hunk of toasted bread and is so cheap you question if that meat is really goat. The music is bad, because if it was good they'd be playing the coaching in. Often enough the bartender kicks the troubadour out because he's getting booed too much. There aren't often farm workers here, some of the town constables come in after shift for a drink. Most folks are travelers, pretty happy to be under a roof and off the road for the night.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote