Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-02-2022, 03:52 PM   #1151
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

"But there were two of him... Is your enemy yourselves from a close parallel?" Peter recalls the language of the Miracle Workers.
'rendered dormant by an ancient and mysterious foe, ...unavailable gods on a mission of vengeance.'
'rendered dormant by an ancient and mysterious foe, ...unavailable gods on a mission of vengeance.'
"So, can you fill me in on all the portals? The world your cities are on is bleeding magic out all over the worlds it's connected to. That portal from here to the Temple World did the same thing. Is that all part of the big plan?" Peter will get more information on 'the breaking' if he can. As Peter moves about, he feels for other portals here.

Peter will talk with Tar Bilik and get a feel for if he would like Peter to make other arrangements if he is a regular visitor to the Divine Village, especially given his sizeable furry friend. He does not want to impose too much; if the nights aren't too cold, he can probably construct a fairly good shelter.

He will spend some time helping with building or working on a shelter (or both), and try and make the rounds to the people he was acquainted with before, especially if he knows their city or domain. He will do his best to make friends and pick up and deliver messages. In the evening he will sing with them by the fire the songs they are teaching him. He will make little Karana smoke fairies dance around the fire for fun.

Atr night, he will hope to dream.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:35 AM   #1152
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

An-Kona: "One corpse is from an imposter. He has no more claim to the title, seat, and power of Arn-Oda than you do. Yes, our enemy can take on the form and even a measure of the power of who they wish. If the power is there to take. The portals are part of our plan against our enemy, especially them dumping power out, to where our foe cannot reach it."

Tar Billik says he'd love to have the space again, but he's in no hurry to move Peter out, and to make sure he has enough money coming in for his meal... and as he can make good furniture, buying a shelter might even be a better idea than building one.

An-Kona gets the Gods that he will be working with together. They are somewhat bemused that they are neighbors: they didn't used to be.

Will he spend much time memorizing their messages?

The Karana fairies attract a fair bit of attention. There are a lot of people who stop by to see them, and a lot of people who just stare at them. Tar Billik asks what world Peter is from, to work this kind of magic.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:57 PM   #1153
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
An-Kona: "One corpse is from an imposter. He has no more claim to the title, seat, and power of Arn-Oda than you do. Yes, our enemy can take on the form and even a measure of the power of who they wish. If the power is there to take. The portals are part of our plan against our enemy, especially them dumping power out, to where our foe cannot reach it."
"You mentioned that being able to carry these messages could be valuable to the gods. I'd like to have my own space and know there is food for Goliath and me and a roof waiting for me when I return here. Do you think they'd kinda trade? I'm happy to keep helping Tar Billik or do other stuff to help out while I am here, but I need to make time to memorize stuff so I can be a good emissary and be a human kid too. And if anyone knows algebra, I could use a hand with that..."

Quote:
Tar Billik says he'd love to have the space again, but he's in no hurry to move Peter out, and to make sure he has enough money coming in for his meal... and as he can make good furniture, buying a shelter might even be a better idea than building one.
Peter is happy to see Tar Billik and thankful for his generous hospitality. He helps with whatever project he is in the middle of (after retrieving his clothes if they are still where he was sleeping when he was last here). Peter enjoys learning the differences in the somewhat alien craftsmanship.

Quote:
An-Kona gets the Gods that he will be working with together. They are somewhat bemused that they are neighbors: they didn't used to be.
He will explain to the group how his travel works if they do not know yet that he can't carry anything. He asks them about their magic, and if information can be sent using the 'charms' they gave him previously to verify his authenticity with their human followers.

"I know this is all confusing and weird, but I'm here to let you know that your people are still out there for you, and I can carry a few words back for you."

And he delivers to them all of the messages that he can remember, trying to make good eye contact and connect with them.

Spoiler:  
Quote:
Will he spend much time memorizing their messages?
He will spend a few hours memorizing the messages to bring back.

Quote:
The Karana fairies attract a fair bit of attention. There are a lot of people who stop by to see them, and a lot of people who just stare at them. Tar Billik asks what world Peter is from, to work this kind of magic.
Peter explains that he learned his magic during his travels and there really isn't any back home. How does Tar Billik do his thing when he has his powers? He's certainly enthusiastic to learn any magic he will teach him and try to teach them Karana in exchange.

Peter will also keep an eye out for wildlife. Are there any creatures about? Something like a squirrel or bird that he might approach and befriend in the way that he does...
Old 08-04-2022, 09:54 AM   #1154
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"You mentioned that being able to carry these messages could be valuable to the gods. I'd like to have my own space and know there is food for Goliath and me and a roof waiting for me when I return here. Do you think they'd kinda trade? I'm happy to keep helping Tar Billik or do other stuff to help out while I am here, but I need to make time to memorize stuff so I can be a good emissary and be a human kid too. And if anyone knows algebra, I could use a hand with that..."
An-Kona: "We can work out payment once they are in a group. I can't speak for them. I do think running messages is valuable to them."

An-Kona: "We have the literal goddess of mathematics here... Iliphi-Phili shouldn't charge too much to teach algebra"

Quote:
Peter is happy to see Tar Billik and thankful for his generous hospitality. He helps with whatever project he is in the middle of (after retrieving his clothes if they are still where he was sleeping when he was last here). Peter enjoys learning the differences in the somewhat alien craftsmanship.
Does he bring up the money situation at all?

Tar Billik has Peter shaving down a table. actually Flat tables have suddenly become the thing to have.

Quote:
He will explain to the group how his travel works if they do not know yet that he can't carry anything. He asks them about their magic, and if information can be sent using the 'charms' they gave him previously to verify his authenticity with their human followers.
The "charms" can send quite a bit of information, but beyond the initial "proof", they are quite reluctant to use more of them, asking if he can remember it all. It seems to be connected to energy they are using as money. They are willing to pay him for the communication. In particular, they want to know news of their cities, and the recent developments.

(any skills for negotiating?)

Quote:
"I know this is all confusing and weird, but I'm here to let you know that your people are still out there for you, and I can carry a few words back for you."

And he delivers to them all of the messages that he can remember, trying to make good eye contact and connect with them.

He will spend a few hours memorizing the messages to bring back.
They're very happy to have his messages, and have a bunch to send back... some saying "I'm here", some with specific instructions, and some with praise or disapproval for specific actions or individuals.

Its a LOT to remember.

Yu-Pelor starts wondering if they could make the "charms" worth it by packing a bunch of the information into one to save space, and says he'll think about it while Peter is delivering this batch. He also suggests tattoos or scratches in the skin.

Quote:
I had been holding out on spending points for Attributes but what the heck...

Can I put a point into Public Speaking? With a +1 for Charisma and +2 for Voice, it would give Peter effective skill 14
approved! do it!

Quote:
Peter explains that he learned his magic during his travels and there really isn't any back home. How does Tar Billik do his thing when he has his powers? He's certainly enthusiastic to learn any magic he will teach him and try to teach them Karana in exchange.
They are unable to get more energy right now, and unsure of when they will get more... which is why they are living like primitives in stick huts instead of like kings in conjured palaces. They say the magic is innate to them.

Tar-Billik: "If this is not from your home, then which world is it from?"

A few of them are willing to give him (really Tar Billik on his behalf) energy in exchange for Karana Lessons.

Quote:
Peter will also keep an eye out for wildlife. Are there any creatures about? Something like a squirrel or bird that he might approach and befriend in the way that he does...
The local hunters (far more of the gods can hunt than make furniture) have done a pretty good job of scaring off or shooting most of the game... He does notice a very cautious crow that flies around at meal time looking for scraps.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 08-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #1155
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
An-Kona: "We can work out payment once they are in a group. I can't speak for them. I do think running messages is valuable to them."

An-Kona: "We have the literal goddess of mathematics here... Iliphi-Phili shouldn't charge too much to teach algebra"
"Awesome! I appreciate your help making the connections and softening them up for me. Thank you!" He will continue to try and encourage An-Kano to act as his manager/ambassador to grease the wheels of his interactions with the others.
Quote:
Does he bring up the money situation at all?
He will conversationally do so, letting him know he is looking into other options to be less of a hassle to Tar Billik... Does Tar Billik want to help him and An-Kona negotiate? Do they have a god of commerce he might get to recruit to help him get a good deal?

Quote:
The "charms" can send quite a bit of information, but beyond the initial "proof", they are quite reluctant to use more of them, asking if he can remember it all. It seems to be connected to energy they are using as money. They are willing to pay him for the communication. In particular, they want to know news of their cities, and the recent developments.

(any skills for negotiating?)
He has Diplomacy which is used for "negotiating, compromising, and getting along", but not Merchant for "buying, selling, and trading retail and wholesale goods."

He will try and get them to like him before talking about deals to hopefully mitigate not having Merchant, but it does seem that Diplomacy is more appropriate than Merchant given the lack of goods and the breadth and nature of the dealings. He is also hoping he can rely on his friends here to help.
Quote:

They're very happy to have his messages, and have a bunch to send back... some saying "I'm here", some with specific instructions, and some with praise or disapproval for specific actions or individuals.

Its a LOT to remember.

Yu-Pelor starts wondering if they could make the "charms" worth it by packing a bunch of the information into one to save space, and says he'll think about it while Peter is delivering this batch. He also suggests tattoos or scratches in the skin.
Peter will not allow himself to be injured or tattooed, but if they have ink that will wash off, he will consider it. Even if they elect to try, he will do his best to memorize as much as he can so that if the writing does not go with him he will remember as much as he can.

(I had already been thinking of having Peter try and write down info on himself actually... When Peter jumps, does he stay just as dirty, or does he leave the filth behind?)

Quote:

They are unable to get more energy right now, and unsure of when they will get more... which is why they are living like primitives in stick huts instead of like kings in conjured palaces. They say the magic is innate to them.
If he is willing to let him try, he is curious to see if he can "charge up" an orb with his personal energy, or make a karana orb with energy in it that could transfer out.

Quote:

Tar-Billik: "If this is not from your home, then which world is it from?"
"Umn, I'm not really sure how to describe one world vs another for you guys, I just called it 'karanaworld' because I learned it there."
Quote:
A few of them are willing to give him (really Tar Billik on his behalf) energy in exchange for Karana Lessons.
He will do so... It will probably be good for his reputation!
Quote:
The local hunters (far more of the gods can hunt than make furniture) have done a pretty good job of scaring off or shooting most of the game... He does notice a very cautious crow that flies around at meal time looking for scraps.
He will approach the crow speaking softly at some point after telling Goliath to keep back... He will feed the bird and try and see how close he can get or if he can get it to perch on him.

((Peter should have an animal friend in every port... Or a few pet perks to start traveling with a menagerie... I may have overpaid for Goliath as a 100% value ally :o ))
Old 08-05-2022, 10:13 AM   #1156
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Awesome! I appreciate your help making the connections and softening them up for me. Thank you!" He will continue to try and encourage An-Kano to act as his manager/ambassador to grease the wheels of his interactions with the others.
An-Kona seems a reluctant to the role, but a good attitude seems to go a long ways.

Quote:
He will conversationally do so, letting him know he is looking into other options to be less of a hassle to Tar Billik... Does Tar Billik want to help him and An-Kona negotiate? Do they have a god of commerce he might get to recruit to help him get a good deal?
Tar Billik is happy to keep the money for Peter... he confesses he sees the boy as something of an apprentice at this point. He says they can go talk to some of the gods more interested in commerce... its one of those things that every other city deity seems to have in their portfolio.

"Your request for money other than energy will give them something to talk about for a while. They may need to talk about it for a day or week!"

Quote:
He has Diplomacy which is used for "negotiating, compromising, and getting along", but not Merchant for "buying, selling, and trading retail and wholesale goods."

He will try and get them to like him before talking about deals to hopefully mitigate not having Merchant, but it does seem that Diplomacy is more appropriate than Merchant given the lack of goods and the breadth and nature of the dealings. He is also hoping he can rely on his friends here to help.
So a skill good at getting a fair deal but poor at getting a financial windfall. Will he delay negotiation until he can arrange an advocate?

Quote:
Peter will not allow himself to be injured or tattooed, but if they have ink that will wash off, he will consider it. Even if they elect to try, he will do his best to memorize as much as he can so that if the writing does not go with him he will remember as much as he can.

(I had already been thinking of having Peter try and write down info on himself actually... When Peter jumps, does he stay just as dirty, or does he leave the filth behind?)
Yu-Pelor is disappointed... but agrees they can try with just ink.

Peter thinks back about his jumps... he often gets quite dirty immediately after a jump, as he tends to wake up in the dirt... but he doesn't remember his sheets being dirty the time he woke up in his own bed... not that he was particularly dirty before that... He'll have to see.

Quote:
If he is willing to let him try, he is curious to see if he can "charge up" an orb with his personal energy, or make a karana orb with energy in it that could transfer out.
Making the Karana Orb is the easiest thing to try. He makes a glowing orb that drains his energy quickly... but everyone says they can tell its not the right thing, and when Tar-Billik tries to move energy into it, the attempt fails.

Tar-Billik finds a god willing to move all his energy to Tar-Billik and then let Peter move Karana energy into the orb. The attempt basically works... though they say its a very small amount of power. This leads to a good deal of congratulating and backslapping, as well as comments about Peter being a "little lost godling".

Quote:
"Umn, I'm not really sure how to describe one world vs another for you guys, I just called it 'karanaworld' because I learned it there."
Tar-Billik: "Fair enough. Any major cities or nations?"

Quote:
He will do so... It will probably be good for his reputation!
He instructs the gods about the patterns, and about the smoke, and several try... and fail. The smoke doesn't move, and Peter senses no power or energy moving out of them.

Quote:

He will approach the crow speaking softly at some point after telling Goliath to keep back... He will feed the bird and try and see how close he can get or if he can get it to perch on him.
Rolling... it works. The bird only comes for food*, but she (he checked) comes and takes it from his hand.

* for now.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:57 PM   #1157
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
An-Kona seems a reluctant to the role, but a good attitude seems to go a long ways.
If there is something that Peter has in abundance, it's a good attitude!
Quote:
"Your request for money other than energy will give them something to talk about for a while. They may need to talk about it for a day or week!"

So a skill good at getting a fair deal but poor at getting a financial windfall. Will he delay negotiation until he can arrange an advocate?
Yes, he will keep the discussion somewhat abstract, especially given that they are unsure about carrying information written on Peter or carried by a charm.

Hopefully, they will come up with some of the arrangements on their own and compete for his favor, given that ultimately he controls who's words make it back to their followers.

Quote:
Yu-Pelor is disappointed... but agrees they can try with just ink.
We will give it a try.

Quote:
Tar-Billik finds a god willing to move all his energy to Tar-Billik and then let Peter move Karana energy into the orb. The attempt basically works... though they say its a very small amount of power. This leads to a good deal of congratulating and backslapping, as well as comments about Peter being a "little lost godling".
Peter enjoys the experimentation, and the lost godling talk, "Godling Peter of the Dreaming, Emissary to mortals, spirits, gods and beasts!" He proclaims in good fun.

"So was that enough energy to buy anything? When you have your full power, you just will things into being?" Once peter recovers his personal energy, he will try and will a small flower into the world. he will take any advice on trying to to do things the god's way if it's offered.

Quote:

Tar-Billik: "Fair enough. Any major cities or nations?"
Peter explains the jungle world had some places that had names in common with his home, but that he doubted it would help him to differentiate the world.
Quote:

Rolling... it works. The bird only comes for food*, but she (he checked) comes and takes it from his hand.

* for now.
Peter will try and feed the bird regularly and deepen his interactions with it. He calls out to any who are around when he interacts with the crow to please not hurt it, as he wants to befriend it.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:13 AM   #1158
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Yes, he will keep the discussion somewhat abstract, especially given that they are unsure about carrying information written on Peter or carried by a charm.

Hopefully, they will come up with some of the arrangements on their own and compete for his favor, given that ultimately he controls who's words make it back to their followers.
Here is hoping. They do talk about what Peter needs, though no one suggests anything specific.

Quote:
We will give it a try.
Its a scratchy sharpened feather dipped in ink, but it gets the ink on his arms. And on his back.

Quote:
"So was that enough energy to buy anything? When you have your full power, you just will things into being?" Once peter recovers his personal energy, he will try and will a small flower into the world. he will take any advice on trying to to do things the god's way if it's offered.

Tar-Billik: "eight of those will get you a bowl of soup. You might as well stick to carpentry. You'll make more money and be more useful"

He hasn't seen how the Gods do it, and they can't explain it to him: it just happens for them. They say sometimes they will things into being, but are actually more likely to transform something. Or get a servitor to transform it. They say "servitor" with a bit of sadness to their voice.

Quote:
Peter explains the jungle world had some places that had names in common with his home, but that he doubted it would help him to differentiate the world.
Tar-Billik nods: this seems to provide him with at least some information

Quote:
Peter will try and feed the bird regularly and deepen his interactions with it. He calls out to any who are around when he interacts with the crow to please not hurt it, as he wants to befriend it.
Of course.

He doesn't dream that night.

That morning, the Gods who he is delivering messages for give Tar-Billik a small amount of energy each, saying they are paying for half of his meals, at least for this trip.

The Gods who have a stake in economics have been told about Peter's situation. Several of them drop by, with ideas about ledgers, enchanted rocks, and bringing coins into the village.

The crow hangs far off during the community breakfast, but as Peter leaves, its there, waiting for the scraps Goliath didn't get.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:39 PM   #1159
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Its a scratchy sharpened feather dipped in ink, but it gets the ink on his arms. And on his back.
Peter will do the writing as memory assistance. He is not allowing others to write on him. He doesn't want languages he doesn't understand or areas he can't see bringing secret messages he does not know about.

"I'm an emissary, not an envelope."

Quote:
Tar-Billik: "eight of those will get you a bowl of soup. You might as well stick to carpentry. You'll make more money and be more useful"

He hasn't seen how the Gods do it, and they can't explain it to him: it just happens for them. They say sometimes they will things into being, but are actually more likely to transform something. Or get a servitor to transform it. They say "servitor" with a bit of sadness to their voice.
"Well, I was mostly interested in seeing if I could do it at all, but good to know... Servitor? What are those? Did I put enough juice in your orb to create anything? Can you make a puff of smoke? I'd like to see it work."
Quote:
That morning, the Gods who he is delivering messages for give Tar-Billik a small amount of energy each, saying they are paying for half of his meals, at least for this trip.
"Thanks! That will make my life easier!"
Peter will see if he can use some of the energy to get a little extra specialized food for Goliath and his new Crow friend.
Quote:
Here is hoping. They do talk about what Peter needs, though no one suggests anything specific.
Peter won't say so, but what he really needs is a guardian, he is a minor after all. I guess he needs godparents! Tar- Billik has kind of been sucked into the role...

Quote:
The Gods who have a stake in economics have been told about Peter's situation. Several of them drop by, with ideas about ledgers, enchanted rocks, and bringing coins into the village.
Peter asks if any have a domain including 'advocacy', hoping to lead him closer to someone to represent his interests when he's not here.
Quote:
The crow hangs far off during the community breakfast, but as Peter leaves, its there, waiting for the scraps Goliath didn't get.
Peter saves some scraps for the crow and feeds her while speaking to her and slowly allows Goliath to get closer to introduce them.

"Dahlia, this is Goliath, who I named because we knew he'd be such a big boy! Goliath, this is Dahlia, who I named because she is black as night and pretty like a flower!"

If they spend time in the workshop, Peter will make a wooden stand he can set outside for Dahlia to perch upon or bring in when he has his own space.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:34 AM   #1160
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Peter will do the writing as memory assistance. He is not allowing others to write on him. He doesn't want languages he doesn't understand or areas he can't see bringing secret messages he does not know about.

"I'm an emissary, not an envelope."
:)

It takes longer, and cuts down what can be written on, but Yu-Pelor lets him act as an emissary rather than an envelope.

Quote:
"Well, I was mostly interested in seeing if I could do it at all, but good to know... Servitor? What are those? Did I put enough juice in your orb to create anything? Can you make a puff of smoke? I'd like to see it work."
"Servitors were the servants we had. They were not able to leave to this world with us. They were particularly skilled transforming objects and themselves. They went around doing what we asked among the mortals."

"A puff of smoke? that should be doable... give me another charge, as much as you can, and I'll show you."

The puff of smoke is created from nothing... from the energy itself. Its very fast, much faster than the other processes Peter has observed.

Quote:
"Thanks! That will make my life easier!"
Peter will see if he can use some of the energy to get a little extra specialized food for Goliath and his new Crow friend.
They aren't selling dog and crow food per se... but he gets his hands on the guts of animals, and on some seeds, and his animal friends love those.

Quote:
Peter won't say so, but what he really needs is a guardian, he is a minor after all. I guess he needs godparents! Tar- Billik has kind of been sucked into the role...

Peter asks if any have a domain including 'advocacy', hoping to lead him closer to someone to represent his interests when he's not here.
They ALL do advocacy... of a sort. His designated "advocate" would have been Ink-Thur, but Ink-Thur isn't here. And there is a sort of payment-fealty thing involved. Right now the best he has is Tar-Billik. He can ask anyone else, of course.

Quote:
Peter saves some scraps for the crow and feeds her while speaking to her and slowly allows Goliath to get closer to introduce them.

"Dahlia, this is Goliath, who I named because we knew he'd be such a big boy! Goliath, this is Dahlia, who I named because she is black as night and pretty like a flower!"

The two look at each other, and something passes between them. Dahlia looks at the dog with a beady eye. Goliath puts his head down to sniff. the crow jumps back and caws, but doesn't fly away. Goliath inches a little close, and Dahlia jumps onto Peter's shoulder and caws a couple more times.

If they spend time in the workshop, Peter will make a wooden stand he can set outside for Dahlia to perch upon or bring in when he has his own space.[/QUOTE]

Tags
lost in dreams