Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-18-2021, 03:14 AM   #31
Hrothgar Rannúlfr

Default Re: Any Melee/Wizard computer games?

### [cast] ###
THREAD NECROMANCY
### [/cast] ###

Any Melee/Wizard computer games?

It's not exactly it, but the old 1980's game, Swords of Glass (by Keypunch Software), is at least similar in that it has Strength, Dexterity, and I/Q as the primary stats and adds in Hits and has Vancian spell slots instead of TFT-style spells known and strength dependency.

My friends and I played SOG quite a bit when we were kids. Not sure if it's creator was influenced by TFT or by GURPS. Either way, I think it shows one way a TFT computer game could be made. I have no idea whether it was emulating 3d6 rolls or some other system for combat, though.
Hrothgar Rannúlfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #32
hcobb

There is a computer program for TFT: https://thefantasytrip.game/news/201...er-a-free-app/
Old 04-19-2021, 03:06 AM   #33
Steve Plambeck

Awww shucks! Sorry I missed this whole thread. It predates when I joined the forum. I started on a TRS-80 too back in the 80's, and as soon as I taught myself BASIC, well, don't get me started - LOL!
Old 04-19-2021, 04:19 AM   #34
RobW

This reminds me, I've commissioned an AI that plays a simplified version of Melee. It's *not* a playable game ATM although you can create and play out most any scenario involving single-hex melee fighters. It's just that it's *work* not fun to do so.

If anyone here has python skills, eg comfortable walking through lists of lists of objects, using github, jupyter notebooks, etc, and interested in finding out more, PM me. The next big step is to make the search through possible move space more efficient (currently can realistically look ahead only one move). More work. But then I might finally learn, after 40 years, what is the optimal melee team to get through death test.

Making a working AI shows how complicated the rules to Melee really are, even the fairly clear Advanced Melee rules. The current version does do: turn structure, engagement, facing, defend/dodge, missile weapons. And there's still so much left!
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #35
PBarone714

The TFT Helper iPhone app has an Adventure.
PBarone714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:21 AM   #36
pzmcgwire

The computer game Eamon and its short-lived commercial successor, Swordthrust, seemed to have had some ancestry from Melee/Wizard in its original implementation of the characteristics of Hardiness (e.g. Strength) and Agility (Dexterity) plus and armor that stopped hits while reducing Agility and hit chances.

No tactical maps for manuevering as they are text-based.
pzmcgwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #37
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
... I know of at least one adaptation: The one I programmed myself in BASIC at a tender age back in the 80s.

It was far from complete – just Melee combat, no Wizard stuff; I think no non-humans either. Player vs player (only two!), with no AI opponent. And the graphics were as crude as could be; the characters were blobs and the map used staggered squares ("the poor man's hexes").
About 2 years ago, I took a stab at MELEE on a TRS-80 emulator. I programmed enough to get through making the stat assignment stage and made a hex map, which ALSO was made of staggered squares!
Old 07-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #38
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
About 2 years ago, I took a stab at MELEE on a TRS-80 emulator. I programmed enough to get through making the stat assignment stage and made a hex map, which ALSO was made of staggered squares!
Staggered squares just don't get the love they deserve. I used to have a big vinyl staggered square battle map; works for D&D, works for TFT/GURPS.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote