Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Downs and revives

I've been on a Payday 2 kick since the Mayhem/One Down update, and I wondered how a downed/revived ability would be priced.

Basically, a heister that loses all their HP entered a downed state, upon which they have 30 seconds to shoot at enemies, and they can still be damaged. Too much damage and they can't shoot anymore. But during these 30 seconds, they can be revived by a teammate, and come back in the fight that way. Past these 30 seconds, or if you get downed 4 times without using a doctor's bag, you get taken into custody. Some skills in the Fugitive skill tree can grant buffs after a revive, like extra damage. And the DHS need only take you down twice for you to get into custody.

So it could work in a cinematic setting, or it could be an explicit supernatural power, but in the end...

I guess it would be Unkillable 2 (Limitations: 3 downs only without thorough medical attention, death still occurs if first aid isn't provided in the next 30 secs, temporary disadvantage: No legs while in downed state), Regeneration: Extreme (limitation: only after being raised from a down, only up to 30% HP), any advantage you want with the limited duration and only after a down limitations, and the Messiah Skill would be a way to reduce the limitation on Unkillable so that you can trigger your regeneration on one down if you kill an enemy.

Yes, I tend to find difficult to stat abilities I want to emulate.

I almost want to play a semi-immortal combatant who gets extra badass after being "killed".
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:17 AM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: Downs and revives

You may only need Undying 2 without any limitations, since even after the fourth time they're downed they're only taken into custody. Maybe, after being downed for the fourth time, Regeneration stops working, so they take much longer to get back up. Your badass could be full immortal.

More generally, I think "semi-immortal combatant who gets extra badass after a close scrape with death" is easier to write up, and in many ways more productive, than the exact mechanics from the game you're being inspired by. What do you make of that possibility?
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Varyon

Default Re: Downs and revives

Unkillable 2 (Temporary Disadvantage: Paraplegic; Limited Use, 4/day, Slow Reload; Maximum Duration, 30 seconds). Optionally, your GM may require Reflexive so that you use it immediately upon death, and the Slow Reload may need some adjustment for the fact that you're able to reload all uses in one go. You'd also have Very Fast Regeneration (Unkillable Only; Requires Assistance; Only Repairs you to HP/3). In both cases, I'm fairly confident you'll be hitting the -80% cap on Limitations, making the total cost [40].

EDIT: I should also note that anything that kills you already had a pretty solid shot of rendering you unconscious, so if you want to be useful during this time some resistance or outright immunity to unconsciousness may be necessary - be it through an Advantage or drugs (like hyperstim if TL 9 stuff is available). The above build also means that you don't have a huge margin of error, as even with someone coming to you immediately you can't heal more than HP*3. It may be useful to spend another [10] to boost the regeneration to Extreme, for a solid [50].

Last edited by Varyon; 10-10-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote