Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
PK

Default GURPS Steampunk 1: Settings and Style

The rules, from science
To etiquette, exist so
They may be broken.
— A hidden truth
Something about steampunk speaks to our inner geek, and I think that's because it crosses over into so many geeky areas of interest. Is your "thing" retro sci-fi? History? Classic tech and gear? Fashion? Weird science? Interactions between social strata? Alternate universes? Pulp action? Steampunk, and its variety of sister genres and spin-offs, incorporates all of these, in one very gameable package! It's a campaign concept just waiting for you to run it, and GURPS Steampunk 1: Settings and Style will show you how.

GURPS Third Edition explored this genre via the trilogy of GURPS Classic: Steampunk, GURPS Classic: Steam-Tech, and GURPS Classic: Screampunk . . . and those books are still valid, relevant, and useful! This isn't a reboot to wash the old away; instead, this new series from Phil Masters is expanding the concepts covered, updating the genre to reflect the past 16 years of fiction, and adding explanations, guidelines, rules, and more to help the GM and players evoke the right feel.

As its name implies, GURPS Steampunk 1: Settings and Style focuses on genre, mood, and themes. "Steampunk" is a broad brush that needs to be given focus with some high-level decisions. Do you want to run a Verne-style "extraordinary voyage" game? Or perhaps an art-deco "raygun Gothic" one? How much focus will you give engineering? Other weird science? Social mores? The supernatural? (After all, steampunk has been bonded with everything from alchemy to spiritualism and hermetic societies!)

Once the game is underway, GURPS Steampunk 1: Settings and Style is your go-to reference for both the genre and classic historical period. The PCs have to convince a baron to help them? The status tables and social guidelines cover the necessary etiquette. The PCs want to stage something scandalous in the streets as a diversion? Break out the rules for hysteria and fainting! The GM needs to "steampunk up" a vehicle on the fly? No problem, there are quick-and-dirty rules for when you don't want to break out Inventing and Gadgeteering. Not to mention the timeline, glossary, recommended fiction for each mood, fashion advice . . . I could go on, but my hansom has arrived, and I simply must go fetch some macassar oil, so I'll leave the rest for you to discover.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0339
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-0339_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
Kalzazz

Default Re: GURPS Steampunk 1: Settings and Style

Yay! Poem! Now the release is official

I notice there is a 1, is there more coming?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
That's quite openly acknowledged in the Introduction to this one.

Along with the "1" being, yeah, not an attempt to confuse anyone.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

....and it is mine! Now I have something new to read if the storm knocks out the power (at least as long as the batteries on my IPad last).
Old 10-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
....and it is mine! Now I have something new to read if the storm knocks out the power (at least as long as the batteries on my IPad last).
Read the part that lets you build a little steam powered charger first.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #6
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
And people complain about government taxes being too high, clearly infrastructure spending is suffering as a result
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:53 PM   #7
Celti

I got halfway through skimming this and then dragged off to watch Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, while some of my friends this week have been talking about nothing but Fallen London, Sunless Sea, and Sunless Skies. My poor, poor players...

Love love love the Shocking Revelations table. The Dressing The Part section told me little I already knew (raised by costumers, been going to Regency dances since I was knee-high, etc.), but was enjoyable nonetheless. Definitely going to do some more in-depth reading later tonight!
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #8
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
In fact, GURPS Steampunk 2 is working its way through production right now . . . as is another related expansion, though the latter is going to come from a different direction than you might expect. <cryptic smile>

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #9
GM Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
In fact, GURPS Steampunk 2 is working its way through production right now . . . as is another related expansion, though the latter is going to come from a different direction than you might expect. <cryptic smile>
Santa Claus?
Old 10-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
Santa Claus?
St Nicholas or even Father Christmas would be more in genre. Then there's the Three Ghosts of Christmas.

Not that I'm crying out for more Dickens in my steampunk but one wonders why there isn't more.

I'd expect Barbarella:1889 to me more likely.

Tags
gurps, gurps steampunk, steampunk, steampunk 1