Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2018, 10:55 PM   #1
dataweaver

Default Attributes minus Skills

I've been toying with the idea of decoupling skills from attributes, and relying more heavily on Talents to represent being especially good at a set of thematically related skills. If I do this, though, what's left for attributes to do? Take it as a given that the pricing of DX and IQ changes drastically under this approach; but without skills, how much should the pricing drop? More generally, what do each of the Attributes do once you remove Skills from the picture?
Old 10-23-2018, 11:51 PM   #2
Maz

Default Re: Attributes minus Skills

ST is unchanged as no skills require it.

DX is still used on rare occasions. for instance to draw a weapon while being grappled or to avoid falling on a missed kick and other stuff like that. It also boosts Basic speed.

IQ is mostly used by some advantages, such as Empathy, Healing and Telepathy. But also in some instances such as recovering from mental stun. I often use it to test against to remind the player of something the PC might remember - I know other GM's do the same. It also boost Per and Will.

Per and Will are use a lot on their own. Especially by the type of GM who likes to only give out detailed information about situations on successful Per-checks.

HT is very powerful on its own and would not have to be changed.

If it was me:
I would let ST and HT stand as is.
I would remove IQ completely and let Per and Will stay at 5 pts/lvl. And let them stand-in in place of IQ were appropriate. And let advantages that require IQ instead be skill-based.
I would reduce DX to 10 pts. And let it still boost Basic speed. And still use DX for the odd balancing checks or quickness checks.

One issue with decoupling Skill from attributes is you won't be able to make "skill-rolls bases on other attributes". So you won't be able to differentiate between a ST-based climb (pull-up) and a DX-based Climb. Or an IQ-based or DX-based lockpicking. But that's probably not a problem.

Last edited by Maz; 10-24-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:03 AM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
I've been toying with the idea of decoupling skills from attributes, and relying more heavily on Talents to represent being especially good at a set of thematically related skills. If I do this, though, what's left for attributes to do?
For DX and IQ, probably nothing? There are some things those attributes are used for that aren't skill checks, but very few that couldn't be skill checks, and it would be weird if picking up a skill suddenly made you worse at something.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
DX is still used on rare occasions. for instance to draw a weapon while being grappled or to avoid falling on a missed kick and other stuff like that. It also boosts Basic speed.
I remember Basic Speed cost breaks down into Basic Move + Enhanced Dodge which is why since "who goes first" was basically 0-cost, they allow that to be bought as a Perk.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
ErhnamDJ

I came up with house rules for this a while back. They're on my blog.

Attributes Without Skills

Skill Pricing

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I remember Basic Speed cost breaks down into Basic Move + Enhanced Dodge which is why since "who goes first" was basically 0-cost, they allow that to be bought as a Perk.
I am not sure what you are trying to say.

But, no, Basic speed does not break down into Basic Move + Enhanced dodge. Basic move is based on Basic speed. And dodge is also based on Basic Speed (+3). Enhanced dodge only affects dodge, not speed or move.
And "who goes first" is again also based on basic speed, with DX only playing a direct role if basic speed (including the fractions) is equal.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I am not sure what you are trying to say.

But, no, Basic speed does not break down into Basic Move + Enhanced dodge.
I believe Plane's point (which is one that's been made by Kromm before as well), is that the game mechanical effects of buying up a full +1.00 of Basic Speed (for 20 points) is to gain +1 to Dodge, +1 to Basic Move, and to go before anyone with lesser Basic Speed in combat. +1 to Basic Move on its own costs 5 points, and +1 to Dodge is 15 points, via Enhanced Dodge. Therefore, after subtracting the costs of Move and Dodge, the value of "going first in combat" is effectively 0. Hence, the suggestion that "goes first in a fight", without gaining any bonus to moving or dodging, is probably just a perk.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
I've been toying with the idea of decoupling skills from attributes, and relying more heavily on Talents to represent being especially good at a set of thematically related skills.
I had that discussion about three years ago, this thread is the result:

Attributes That Don't Apply To Skills - How Much Would You Charge?

I ended up deciding that pricewise ST and HT remain unchanged, DX drops to 10 points per level, and IQ to 2.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote