Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #21
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Who else is still using Gurps 3ed rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sundered Sky View Post
Well, due to the lack of/death of roleplaying in this area(the few people who might do it are sucked into Warcraft) I don't play either, and haven't gamed in at least two years.

I started with 4th, and have several books. Well, several 3rd Ed books as well. I think 4th is likely superior in several ways, especially flexibility...but it seems more intimidating than 3rd. When I read some of the 3rd Ed supplements, it seems easier to design some characters...that the learning curve for 4th might be higher. When I see people build characters on this site, they often use things I wouldn't have thought of, and sometimes it seems very abstract(but effective).

I've been collecting GURPS stuff for 4 years, maybe 3. I'll chalk up the difficulty with 4th Ed to obvious lack of practical usage.
I feel very similar, all those modular habilities intimidate me =(
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #22
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dworldjumper View Post
I am wondering if anyone else is still using 3ed rev I am. I understand I maybe the last of the mohicans (and I know I dated myself by using that phrase). But I like that version and feel most comfortable running it. I would play and have played Gurps 4e but haven't since that time. So let me know if any of you still do use Gurps 3ed rev please.
Yo!

I make use of a slightly home-modified version of 3e. Nothing against 4e, I just never saw the point of changing and redoing everything, the effort/benefit ratio was didn't justify it, and just like some aspects of 3e better.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #23
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
Je suis American, mais, peut-etre parce'que je parle francais, je joue de Troisieme Edition.
Yes. there is certainly a link!

;-)
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #24
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
I feel very similar, all those modular habilities intimidate me =(
Don't be intimidated by some posters who answers in the threads of this forum.

They know the game by heart, and even for someone like me (who play GURPS for more than 20 years, and GURPS 4 since august 2004 - the very first release of GURPS Lite 4th edition), some answers are very surprising: but how by the devil do they know the game with such an accuracy?

The new flexibility of the character creation system can appears complex and abstract... But it is just one more leeway. It is absolutely not a mandatory.

Of course, when we read in a thread: "How to model the ability AAAAA? - Very simple! Just take the ability BBBBB with CC% limitation and DD% Enhancement.", it can be intimidating. Especially when someone else adds: "Hey, wouldn't the ability EEEEE with the limitations FF% and GG% handle it better?"

But these are very specific cases. And things which are neither easy to built with GURPS 3.

In most cases, advantages, disadvantages and skills work exactly as they did in the third edition. You've got a list, and you just choose what you want. Especially now, with all the new published stuff where all the work is already done.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #25
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Yo!

I make use of a slightly home-modified version of 3e. Nothing against 4e, I just never saw the point of changing and redoing everything, the effort/benefit ratio was didn't justify it, and just like some aspects of 3e better.
Well, thing is, I really did like 3e, used it for ages, but when no PD, streamlined rules, and better pricing on stats and skills came along, it sold me on 4e from the get go.

After all, it's not like you're really throwing out all your 3e work and redoing everything, we're simply doing away with the cumbersome rules from 3e and zipping along in 4e.

The lego aspect some are objecting to is the point where GURPS has always excelled, taken up a notch, the system is there to help us model our settings, it's a great tool box.

Now, where it does fall down, is in that as a tool kit, it isn't much on actual worked example settings.
So it's missing stuff for us to mooch from in order to supplement our own stuff, but that's where their different simplified lines come in, like Dungeon Fantasy and Monster Hunters.

Biggest issue I have with gaming these days, is not having the opportunity to game as much as I'd like, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles...
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #26
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

The PD rules seem very interesting, after you GM campaigns for characters that attain ridiculous dodge scores because of how PD works in the 3rd you consider changing.

I feel like I would profit more, from bringing some good stuff from the 4e to the 3rd than changing all the way
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #27
The Sundered Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post

Of course, when we read in a thread: "How to model the ability AAAAA? - Very simple! Just take the ability BBBBB with CC% limitation and DD% Enhancement.", it can be intimidating. Especially when someone else adds: "Hey, wouldn't the ability EEEEE with the limitations FF% and GG% handle it better?"

But these are very specific cases. And things which are neither easy to built with GURPS 3.
HAHA! Yes, that's exactly how it often looks to me. Like "Where did they get THAT? Huh..looks good, makes sense.." More power to'em that they can do that. It's my inability to do that nearly as well that causes intimidation. Even though I know much of it must come from not actually getting to play the dang game, it sometimes makes me go "really? do I have to do all that to model the characters the way I want to?". The flexibility and ability to model characters I want is why I bought hundreds of dollars worth of these books in the first place.

(and then proceeded to do nothing with them..)
Old 01-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sundered Sky View Post
"really? do I have to do all that to model the characters the way I want to?".
Well, you could just use the 3e method of "make up a cost and effect that seems reasonable and go with it." It's just in the long run figuring them out gives you numbers that play well with each other. It's not necessary, though.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #29
dworldjumper

I think that the old 3rd rev ed is fine...you can always make some cost up to allow anything in a game. really easy but then I want to still some day use a serious Gurps Vehicles 2nd battle and use the book for it. btw I am not against the new addition unlike w/some other games new versions it is that I just like this version and learned it well enough to use. As far as I am concerned if aint broke don't fix it. But I would like to get to see the new version if it has new tech items my old ones don't have.
dworldjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #30
Nemi3e

I still mess around with 3e, though I donated my core books to a battered woman's shelter. (There was someone there who really liked videogame RPGs, and didn't talk much, so I just handed it over. Apparently she now carries the basic set around with her everywhere. They play using cards since dice aren't allowed.)

I've got a couple of reasons for still using 3e. My favorite settings are in 3e after all. Another big reason, which might be unique, is I had a difficult time learning 4e. 3e and 4e were so similar I kept skipping and transposing rules and costs and such.

And for some reason I find the compendiums easier to navigate than the 4e core books.

However, slowly I'm moving towards 4e, and I find when I conceptualize the game I'm using a mishmash of 3 and 4.

The GM is not your Enemy.
The GM is your dealer.
Nemi3e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 3e basic set, gurps 4e