Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #31
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Less Sleep limitation: mental activity only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Why jump through hoops trying to build this as Less Sleep instead of a limited version of Compartmentalized Mind?
Because it essentially closer to Less Sleep with some restrictions, rather than CM. CM would require a limitation about when it is enabled, No Mental Separation, some other stuff . . . Less Sleep with a single modifier is way less fiddly and hoopy.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #32
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Because it essentially closer to Less Sleep with some restrictions, rather than CM. CM would require a limitation about when it is enabled, No Mental Separation, some other stuff . . . Less Sleep with a single modifier is way less fiddly and hoopy.
I can't remember if you mentioned how easily it is to "wake up" from this state.
Few if any people can just jump up kicking. Heart rate, blood pressure, sense of location time, etc. need at least a couple of seconds to adapt.
As well as how you would roll "sleep" sense rolls to be able to wake up at required times.
As a player I would still need some way to imagine the underlying biology of something that sounds like horrifying but temporary paralysis and near negation of external senses.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #33
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Well, isn't character in question actually conscicious in that state, so it can fully wake up at any time?
Please do not quote me without attribution.

No I don't think you should be able to wake up at any time. "Waking up" isn't a mental action, it's probably a Ready maneuver.

You'll get an IQ roll to wake up if there's a disturbance, but you get that anyway.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #34
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Few if any people can just jump up kicking. Heart rate, blood pressure, sense of location time, etc. need at least a couple of seconds to adapt.
Generally you ought to wake up stunned. The only RAW on this that I know of is Dungeon Fantasy 2: Dungeons p. 5 but it makes sense.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Generally you ought to wake up stunned. The only RAW on this that I know of is Dungeon Fantasy 2: Dungeons p. 5 but it makes sense.
I know that some people, myself included, wake up fully alert most of the time. But allowing that enhancement negates nearly all of the drawbacks to Vicky's idea.
Stunned makes sense.
Though it is interesting that there is no variability in depth of sleep and how that effects ability ad time to fully wake up in any game I know of.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #36
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I know that some people, myself included, wake up fully alert most of the time.
Deep Sleeper does this.
Quote:
Though it is interesting that there is no variability in depth of sleep and how that effects ability ad time to fully wake up in any game I know of.
In GURPS you have Light Sleeper, Restless Sleeper, Sleep of the Dead, Deep Sleeper and Deep Sleeper plus Combat Reflexes.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #37
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Wow, very good, useful questions.
Quote:
I can't remember if you mentioned how easily it is to "wake up" from this state.
Since it seems trivial to e.g. tell your computer to send a loud signal the next second, I think triggering a wake-up internally should be trivial during the modified-sleep mode. During the normal-sleep hours, nothing should change.
Quote:
Yes, I think despite the triviality of triggering a wake-up, the consequences of the latter should be identical to waking up from normal sleep. Essentially the character has to switch off Less Sleep in order to become able to act physically, and without Less Sleep the character is considered sleeping normally, and so has to be stunned upon wake-up unless the character has Combat Reflexes or their lesser component for waking up easily.
Quote:
As well as how you would roll "sleep" sense rolls to be able to wake up at required times.
I'm divided here. On one hand, I want to say that sense rolls are mental and thus should be unpenalised (exception: opening one's eyes is a physical action). On the other, I wonder if the distraction in doing some stuff is too similar to the penalty to senses while asleep.
Quote:
As a player I would still need some way to imagine the underlying biology of something that sounds like horrifying but temporary paralysis and near negation of external senses.
The idea is for a hack that is not as good as not sleeping, but has other benefits, for infomorphs. I've linked to it twice; I'm not sure if doing it again is too close to re-bumping, since no comments followed the post in the other thread. (I've already bumped that thread, albeit with a genuine post of New Stuff, so it's acceptable to do once.)
Old 09-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #38
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Deep Sleeper does this.

In GURPS you have Light Sleeper, Restless Sleeper, Sleep of the Dead, Deep Sleeper and Deep Sleeper plus Combat Reflexes.
Deep sleeper seems to include the ability to wake up fully and quickly as well as sleeping soundly and easily.
I have the first, but not the second. But also it doesn't rise to light sleeper and all that hassle. Within the necessary granularity of gaming.

Where is Sleep Of The Dead?
Thanks you for reminding me of all the salient (dis)advantages.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #39
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
The idea is for a hack that is not as good as not sleeping, but has other benefits, for infomorphs. I've linked to it twice; I'm not sure if doing it again is too close to re-bumping, since no comments followed the post in the other thread. (I've already bumped that thread, albeit with a genuine post of New Stuff, so it's acceptable to do once.)
If it's that link about your package advantage, then I don't think I noticed it at first.
Your description there sounds like Meditation turned up to 11 and all of the least implausible uses allowed.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #40
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Deep sleeper seems to include the ability to wake up fully and quickly as well as sleeping soundly and easily.
I have the first, but not the second. But also it doesn't rise to light sleeper and all that hassle. Within the necessary granularity of gaming.

Where is Sleep Of The Dead?
Thanks you for reminding me of all the salient (dis)advantages.
PU6-Quirks:24.

Quote:
If it's that link about your package advantage, then I don't think I noticed it at first.
Your description there sounds like Meditation turned up to 11 and all of the least implausible uses allowed.
Hmm. Didn't think of it as meditation. It was supposed to be part of a technological package similar to a cabal.

Tags
less sleep, limitation