Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2014, 02:10 AM   #1
scc

Default Mages really hurt by the battle fatigue costs?

OK, as I read it under the Fatigue Costs, Fighting a Battle rules (B426) from what I understand if you make so much as a single active defense roll in the first 10 seconds of a fight that lasts at least that long you have to pay a cost based upon you encumbrance.

Now I went through the basic equipment section on B288 and from what I can see it's going to be hard for a character to keep from lugging around at least 20lb, which is Light Encumbrance for ST10, my least (20 lb.) is:

Backpack, small 3lb.
Wineskin(Waterskin) 8lb.
Personal Basics 1lb.
Sleeping fur 8lb.
Note that I haven't even included the minimal set of one pair of clothes you get for free or even a token weapon, so even if I misjudged things keeping under that limit is doubtful, this in turn means that you stand to lose 2 FP just for fighting.

Now unless a character wants to suffer the penalties for having low fatigue you have to put aside 1/3 of your FP, for the starting FP 10 character this is 4 points, for the 14 FP DF wizard this is 5 points and for a 20 FP build this is 7, coupled with the 2 FP above this yields 6/10, 7/14 and 9/20.

As you can see you have to set aside about half your FP just to stop yourself from panting. And yes, I realize that ER will help, a lot actually a FP 9, ER 11 build only needs to set aside 5 out of 20 potential points.

All this means that a Mage isn't so much (At least in combat) a kick-ass magic guy, but more likely a mediocre fighter who occasionally casts spells, unless there's something I missed.

Please tell me there's something I missed.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Mages really hurt by the battle fatigue costs?

Most people shrug off their pack if a fight is starting.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
scc

Maybe so, but a set of clothes weighs 2 lb. And a quarterstaff 4, and I doubt that's all your wearing. Plus there's armor, it's hard to find a decent piece that covers just the torso for just 20lb
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:29 AM   #4
Phoenix_Dragon

Don't forget powerstones and Recover Energy. A mage can usually do to spend all his fatigue down if he's going to get even a few minutes to rest afterward.

Though being able to throw 15 energy into magic in one fight without even using powerstones is already pretty good.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:51 AM   #5
Mathulhu

...or you accept being at half move and dodge once the fight is over and have to pay the fatigue cost for being encumbered.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:00 AM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Maybe so, but a set of clothes weighs 2 lb. And a quarterstaff 4, and I doubt that's all your wearing.
That's exactly what I was wearing apart from the belt knife when I played a mage. The magic system is actually pretty well set up to encourage mages not to carry armour and pack swords, while at the same time not forbidding it.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:26 AM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Maybe so, but a set of clothes weighs 2 lb. And a quarterstaff 4, and I doubt that's all your wearing. Plus there's armor, it's hard to find a decent piece that covers just the torso for just 20lb
I think GURPS may be simulatively correct here. I've always found myself moving much more efficienty and effortlessly when carrying nothing, compared when carrying even a small amout of mass.

Those 20 lbs shouldn't totally screw your character, but he should gain a little something by not lugging them around.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:50 AM   #8
fifiste

I think that it is actually good if FP costs are an actual COST to mages.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 AM   #9
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
...or you accept being at half move and dodge once the fight is over and have to pay the fatigue cost for being encumbered.
^ This times 100, you can go down to this level of exhaustion and recover fatigue pretty quickly. Very Fit and Recover Energy are two fun tools. In fact, Very Fit is a great advantage all around for the points!
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Very Fit
Don't be confused. Very fit explicitly doesn't help in recovering magically spent FP. Though it's still very useful.
Though Very Fit is appropriate only for regular Battle Mages. It must be roleplayed with extensive exercises. Ordinary adventuring mages have Fit at most because they have a lot of other things to do rather than drills and jogging.

Tags
combat, fatigue points, magery