Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: My first serious GURPS game. Looking for suggestions and help.

I'm confused. What does Pathfinder or D20 have to do with this? Is there an adaptation of Demon Souls/Dark Souls for that system?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
You do realize that d20 doesn't have HT, right? I'm guessing that you mean CON
Whoops. Yes, you are right.

Quote:
Skill points invested in a skill, right?
No, the final bonus in the stat block.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm confused. What does Pathfinder or D20 have to do with this? Is there an adaptation of Demon Souls/Dark Souls for that system?
The original poster said that they were currently playing Pathfinder, and Pathfinder/d20 have the biggest collections of creatures out there - and in the case of Pathfinder, most of them are in their online SRD.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #14
Kol

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
OK, do you want the magic in your game to be quick or take time? Or do you want to just replicate what is there?

To me, divine favor book fits for divine magic in dark souls, just house rule that you can not do general prayers and can only use learned prayers.

Arcane magic is best done with advantages, the new pyramid has an article about a magic as powers, "sorcery" and I will be using that in my games now.

Pyromancy is...weird and I am not touching it :)

What else do you need?
Thank you for that, I was unsure about how divine magic works in GURPS, I've seen it done, but never done it myself. Our group all use a single set of 4th edition books that is communal and kept at the shop.

So mostly I lack constant Access to GURPS books, and have little money at the moment to get my own. Though I understand it a bit of it, there are a LOT of odd rules.

I like the idea of Learned prayers, it requires the cleric to learn the scripture, and meditate on the lesson, which enables him to use the related spell. That was how it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Is there a relationship between Pyromancy and bonfires?
Actually No, er, a bit.
Here's the lore snippit.
The world was eternal until fire appeared, and created disparity, cold & heat, dark & light, life & death, and so forth.
There early beings found four mighty souls within the flames. With such power overthrew the eternal dragons that had ruled the world in the age of ancients.
pyromancy
When the power of the first flame started to dim, one of those lords "The Witch of Izalith" and her daughters tried to recreate that great flame. They destroyed themselves, and created where the demons of this world come from, which overran their city and the gods sunk it into the bowels of the earth.
Pyromancy is a form of broken fire sorcery was taught by the daughter that survived the chaos, explosions, and murder. It deals with poison, fire, and a few support spells that resist both. It's big advantage is it has no stat requirements to use. But a small flame passed down from a teacher, made a great cost from a fragment of their own soul, is necessary to wield this magic. it is not tiring to wield, but has limited uses, a small range of variety compared to other magic, and there is nothing subtle about it. Pyromancy has few uses other than killing, and for this reason it's practitioners are outcasts or heretics. They can also mutate, much like the witch queen did before she died.

Bonfires: created from the bones & passion of the long dead, it burns with energy that can revive undead. It is empowered by artificial humanity (actually power from one of the major four souls, this one belonging to "The Furtive Pygmy" who's death, life, or motives are never explained.) this is what allows sane undead to be reborn at the nearest bonfire.
It draws their soul, and matter, back together, so that undead rematerialize there after dying. This is why they are sent to the Undead Asylem, then transported to Lordran, a ruined land where they cannot escape to harm the outside world.
Kol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #15
ClayDowling

In that case, make it necromancy, with the fire thing being just a special effect.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
The original poster said that they were currently playing Pathfinder, and Pathfinder/d20 have the biggest collections of creatures out there - and in the case of Pathfinder, most of them are in their online SRD.
I thought he needs creatures from Demon Souls and Dark Souls.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-07-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #17
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

There is a Wiki here: http://darksouls.wikidot.com

There are pretty concrete descriptions of the spells of the three realms. First glance: Magic as Powers FTW.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #18
Kol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
In that case, make it necromancy, with the fire thing being just a special effect.
oh okay... thanks.
I'd also like to see what more advanced players can come up with when it comes to creating the monsters in Lordran, from the various hollow knights, to angry 12ft plant humanoids, blighted ghouls, and so forth. Especially the "boss" creatures
I can do the paperwork myself, but really I'd love to see what more advanced players can do...
Old 02-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

GURPS Fantasy has rules for scaling up fantastic giants. I'd start there.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #20
Kol

Thanks, so far I can see creatures as between Giant, mortal, monster, and the occasional demi-god who I've used the super hero book & GURPS magic for.

Tags
dark souls, gurps 4e, need help