Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
JCurwen3

Default Re: Knowledgeable but not Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Perk: Seems Smart [1/level]. For every level of this perk you have you will seem to others to have an IQ 2 points higher than you do.
Not what I want, although that's a good one. What I want is someone who won't be really generally better at a skill (like a Talent OR IQ would), who is not noticeably smart (like having a decent I.Q. would do), but just knows a lot.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Not what I want, although that's a good one. What I want is someone who won't be really generally better at a skill (like a Talent OR IQ would), who is not noticeably smart (like having a decent I.Q. would do), but just knows a lot.
How is it that someone would know a lot without being noticeably smart?. Wait, I know, Get IQ 10 and a lot of one point skills with the speciality (Useless information)
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Why not give them a talent for expert skills? Expert skills are about knowing not doing.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
Kraydak

Quote:
You are describing IQ 10-11 and a bunch of skills with 1 cp invested (maybe Dabbler). I'm failing to see the difficulty.
Kraydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
Anders

What's the game mechanical effect? That's what you pay for. The rest is just flavor text.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
How is that not what you want? You keep describing someone who can't actually do anything. Since skills allow you to do things, you're describing someone without skills. A perk which allows access to buzzwords seems reasonable to describe the impression a well-read layman might make.

One possible alternative is the Current Events skill, allowing him to keep up on the state of scientific literature without understanding the science. The character might know that Professor Foo of the Bar Institute has published a paper on plate-and-saucer tectonics or the Higgs Boson's Mate without knowing anything useful about geology or physics.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I don't want them to be especially good at those skills. Or have an IQ that allows them to be clever and figure out stuff, or have a good memory. They're just well-read. They're the fictional archetype that knows about everything, but can't actually perform at a decent level at any skill. They've just read about it all - it's all academic, but they know about almost everything, but can't do anything useful. IQ 10 makes sense, as I want this person to be about average real world I.Q.

I guess how would you build an average I.Q. 100 guy that has spent virtually all their time reading about almost every subject matter but has never specialized, even a little bit, as isn't particularly good at feats of memory or of problem solving (as I.Q. 100 would suggest).
They're knowledge skills. Knowing things is what they do.

If you're worried that some of the skills do have applications, you could take an abstract specialization in 'theory'.

You also might be looking for something akin to Hidebound.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
vierasmarius

Don't forget OPH: Useless Know-It-All.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Figleaf23
Banned

Build a character with instant access to a digital encyclopedia, then re-skin it to suit the vibe you're looking for.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #20
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
I don't want them to be especially good at those skills. Or have an IQ that allows them to be clever and figure out stuff, or have a good memory. They're just well-read. They're the fictional archetype that knows about everything, but can't actually perform at a decent level at any skill. They've just read about it all - it's all academic, but they know about almost everything, but can't do anything useful. IQ 10 makes sense, as I want this person to be about average real world I.Q.

I guess how would you build an average I.Q. 100 guy that has spent virtually all their time reading about almost every subject matter but has never specialized, even a little bit, as isn't particularly good at feats of memory or of problem solving (as I.Q. 100 would suggest).
It looks like people are just not getting what you want from your description. Just based on your first post, Figleaf's idea is the way I would do it.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intelligence, knowledge, limitation