Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
crretin

Default Re: You are in a room... [OOC]

Alright I added criminology, tactics, leadership and law in exchange for common sense
crretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Justin Bedard

Gordie Howe, RST agent

Spoiler:  

Last edited by Justin Bedard; 07-14-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Justin Bedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Justin Bedard

ok, to clarify, Social stigmas are allowed, I just meant this is a horror-based game. social traits ARE needed, but they define your character more than anything else. this kind of thing means heavy role-play elements. for example, if van campbell lets slip he's a bi-polar homosexual to "kersten" the homobophic transvestite, it's going to be quite hard to pick out that argument while something unknown hunts them down. althought it would add to the roleplay in general, it's not suited for now. You can take the points and run with them, but beware when you reveal your "true" self.

To clarify:
OFF LIMITS: heavy social implications (duties at 15, social stigma worth more than -10, etc.), Supernatural traits or Exotic traits (with the exception that you can explain it as something ultra-tech or rare genetic strain, ex: a implant laser lets you shoot beams from your eyes, or your parents gave you a biomod when you were young that let's you transmit your thoughts.)

Also, Van is approved. 100%, don't change him. seriously, it's ridiculously good.

Crettin, why is your character obese AND very fit? is he stuffing himself silly while running a 26-km marathon? you should define which end of the police spectrum he's on; Legal officer (sits behind a desk 24/7, fat or unfit), Detective officer (capable of the more... rare skills you described, fit or overweight) or patrol officer (has better training than other types, but has little specialization, very fit and normal). Common sense would be useful in this type of campaign, but it breaks the roleplay quite a bit, your choice in the end if he has it or not. whichever choice you take will influence the game (or you survival in general)

Last thing: define your clothes and build please, it's hard to plot a story out if the characters always split up because some can't fit in vents or squeeze under certain things. check out gordie (above) for an example.

Last edited by Justin Bedard; 06-16-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
LemmingLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bedard View Post
...for example, if van campbell lets slip he's a bi-polar homosexual to "kersten" the homobophic transvestite, it's going to be quite hard to pick out that argument while something unknown hunts them down. althought it would add to the roleplay in general, it's not suited for now. You can take the points and run with them, but beware when you reveal your "true" self.
Just to clarify - Kersten is a transsexual, not a transvestite, and she certainly isn't homophobic; as a staunch feminist, Kersten is very supportive of equality for men and women in choosing their sexual partner, whoever they might be.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
Justin Bedard

sorry, it was an example and both names were there, and I only based it on what I remembered.

which character are you going with in the end?
EDIT: I won't be active for... 24 hours, don't get too ahead of me.

Last edited by Justin Bedard; 06-16-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
LemmingLord

Quote:
sorry, it was an example and both names were there, and I only based it on what I remembered.

which character are you going with in the end?
EDIT: I won't be active for... 24 hours, don't get too ahead of me.
Since you aren't planning on starting for another month, I thought I'd keep my options open. I've made drafts of all three if you look under the spoilers. I am open to the opinions of my fellow players on which to play or on changes to them for a better shared roleplaying experience.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
Justin Bedard

why am I still awake, it's like 1:15 am...

anyways, that's the latest date possible. if all the characters are ready in 3 days, we'll start then. 1 month is the default time I set, i thought nobody would even post a reply in the first week!

also, due to the PBP nature, it's much easier to plan than I thought. the only difference between the time frame I set (1 month) was for character conception and prep for the animated story pieces. I would like you (and everyone else) to choose a definite character so I can start right away. this way I don't have to do 3 different opening scenes and introductions, nor do I have to make 3x (god knows how many times you'll die) more death scenes.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
crretin

Quote:
ok, to clarify, Social stigmas are allowed, I just meant this is a horror-based game. social traits ARE needed, but they define your character more than anything else. this kind of thing means heavy role-play elements. for example, if van campbell lets slip he's a bi-polar homosexual to "kersten" the homobophic transvestite, it's going to be quite hard to pick out that argument while something unknown hunts them down. althought it would add to the roleplay in general, it's not suited for now. You can take the points and run with them, but beware when you reveal your "true" self.

To clarify:
OFF LIMITS: heavy social implications (duties at 15, social stigma worth more than -10, etc.), Supernatural traits or Exotic traits (with the exception that you can explain it as something ultra-tech or rare genetic strain, ex: a implant laser lets you shoot beams from your eyes, or your parents gave you a biomod when you were young that let's you transmit your thoughts.)

Also, Van is approved. 100%, don't change him. seriously, it's ridiculously good.

Crettin, why is your character obese AND very fit? is he stuffing himself silly while running a 26-km marathon? you should define which end of the police spectrum he's on; Legal officer (sits behind a desk 24/7, fat or unfit), Detective officer (capable of the more... rare skills you described, fit or overweight) or patrol officer (has better training than other types, but has little specialization, very fit and normal). Common sense would be useful in this type of campaign, but it breaks the roleplay quite a bit, your choice in the end if he has it or not. whichever choice you take will influence the game (or you survival in general)

Last thing: define your clothes and build please, it's hard to plot a story out if the characters always split up because some can't fit in vents or squeeze under certain things. check out gordie (above) for an example.
Right I'll try to change that later in the day if I can. Probably should have just stuck with just fat but what can you do....
crretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
Justin Bedard

OH, and while I'm at it, this game takes place near Calais, Maine in a sligthly alternate history (border town between Canada and USA). this means there is 2 main cultural familarities: Canadian and American this also limits language to French and English.

(you can still take other familarities and languages, but these are the main ways to communicate, and regulations/law knowledge.)

Last edited by Justin Bedard; 06-18-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
LemmingLord

I think I'll go with Simon as my character.

Tags
gurps 4e, horror, play by post